Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondria control stem cell fate

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by hixxy, Oct 30, 2016.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Date: October 27, 2016
    Source: Technical University of Munich (TUM)

Summary:

If the powerhouse of the cell, mitochondria, is disrupted, stem cells in the gut suffer, researchers have discovered. The human intestinal system covers an area of approximately 300 to 500 square meters due to its many protrusions (villi). This inner intestinal wall full of tiny bumps renews itself completely once every four to five days, a process which is guided by stem cells. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of a cell and provide energy through respiration, and play a crucial part in this process.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161027123402.htm#.WBVH-jmSFcA.facebook

Theodore, Thinktank, Webdog and 3 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It make sense that in a disorder with impeded energy production there would be gut involvement. I think the brain is likely to be the most impacted though. Where the gut impact may occur is a lower than normal repair rate, predisposing to both gut issues and salicylate intolerance.

Any fast replicating cells are likely to be affected though.

Thinktank likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.