• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondria and ME/CFS: New MEA RRF funding announced

charles shepherd

ME Association to fund fourth study into the role of the mitochondria in ME/CFS | 10 March 2016

We are pleased to announce that the MEA Ramsay Research Fund is about to start funding another research study relating to the role of mitochondria in ME/CFS.

This research grant has been given to Dr Karl Morten and Professor Joanna Poulton at the University of Oxford.

The following description of the background to the Oxford research and what will it involve has been prepared by Dr Karl Morten:

More infomation on this new MEA RRF funding on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...e-of-the-mitochondria-in-mecfs-10-march-2016/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

charles shepherd

Very nice. It looks like Dr Morten and Dr Poulton have done a ton of research into various mitochondrial diseases, going back approximately 25 years.

Although Professor Poulton has not been involved in ME/CFS research up until now she has a well deserved international reputation when it comes to mitochondrial research:

http://www.mitochondrialncg.nhs.uk/oxford_clinical.html

The MEA is very keen to bring in people like this who are real experts in their own area of medicine but new to ME/CFS research

Daisymay

Very nice. It looks like Dr Morten and Dr Poulton have done a ton of research into various mitochondrial diseases, going back approximately 25 years.

Thanks, that's interesting. Is their work mostly on congenital mito diseases or have they also done research on acquired mito problems which might be due to a combination of genetic susceptability plus environment or perhaps just environment (including perhaps infection?).

charles shepherd

Thanks, that's interesting. Is their work mostly on congenital mito diseases or have they also done research on acquired mito problems which might be due to a combination of genetic susceptability plus environment or perhaps just environment (including perhaps infection?).

The Oxford research group deal with both inherited and acquired mitochondrial disease

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Stewart

@charles shepherd - thank you for sharing this.

The MEA news article also mentions the study that Dr Sarah Jayne Boulton undertook last year into the commercial and clinical mitochondrial function blood tests, which I think was due to conclude last October. Do you have any idea when the results of that study are likely to be made public?

charles shepherd

@charles shepherd - thank you for sharing this.

The MEA news article also mentions the study that Dr Sarah Jayne Boulton undertook last year into the commercial and clinical mitochondrial function blood tests, which I think was due to conclude last October. Do you have any idea when the results of that study are likely to be made public?

Apologies for delay in replying

These results are currently being analysed with a view to publication. I cannot really say any more until the researchers know whether they are going to be published.