1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondria 101 part 2

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Radio, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Radio

Radio *****

Acquired mitochondrial damage is a normal part of aging, but is accelerated in chronic fatigue syndrome and many other metabolic disorders. Chronic deficiencies and methylation factors as well as gut imbalances destroys the mitochondrial membranes and lead to the modern day diseases we see today. At this point, the fact is, we need mitochondrial support. The main focus is to prevent Apoptosis cell death and it's imperative that we start mitochondria supportive therapy at the on set of CFS/ME.

Radio note:
    Oral lipid replacement therapy may not be in high enough dosage for some members to absorb into their system and may need to look into IV lipid therapy.

PK / Protocol

http://pkprotocol.com/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. Radio

Radio *****

Radio Warning:
    Carbohydrate fasting is not recommend when you have mitochondria disease. We need glycogen supportive foods to fuel the damage mitochondria and to maintain ATP synthase. Also, there are hypoglycemic subgroups to contemplate as well. I know there is a good amount of research on mitochondria and fasting. Regretfully, this is not a good idea when you are dealing with a progressive mitochondria damage.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    tdog333 and katim like this.
  3. Radio

Radio *****

Radio: I am now supplementing with Life Extension Super Ubiquniol Coq10 With BioPQQ. 100mg 2-4xday. This concludes my broadcast for now :balanced: Pay it forward and never give up!

Life Extension Super Ubiquniol Coq10 With BioPQQ

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Super-Ubiquinol-CoQ10-with-BioQQ-100-mg-30-Softgels/50706#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Extension Super Ubiquniol Coq10 With BioPQQ&rc=7&sr=null&ic=1

Disclaimer
    The information on this thread is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only. You should not rely upon any information found on this thread to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or course of treatment. Readers should perform their own research and make decisions in partnership with their own health care providers.

Sherpa, maryb, helen1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

@Radio

I've been in touch with Dr Sheryl Leventhal who is a large supporter of the PK protocol. She has given me the PK diet as well which intends to cut out gut fermentation and replenish the cell membranes.
    This, however, consists of extremely low carbs and very high fats- both saturated and unsaturated- and moderate protein. My current diet was around 50g of carbs/day and she told me this is still too high if I want to heal my gut. So, this causes a bit of a conundrum, less energy from lower carbs but higher fat to heal the cell membranes and ultimately create more energy. Also, the sustained carbs may not allow ones gut to heal- so where does the pendulum need to swing?

5. Radio

Radio *****

Radio Note: If we can increase ATP intracellular energy in the mitochondria. This will promote healing in all area's of the body.

Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

Radio note:
    I like this as a sublingual supplement and feel we need to review this therapy further. Also, I thought about using a nebulizer to increase ATP absorption into the body as well.

Douglas Labs - ATP-20 60 Tablets (Sublingual)
    http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Labs-ATP-20-60-Tablets/dp/B000SVIO4A

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    ahmo likes this.
  6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Aren't short chain fatty acids supposed to provide us with atp?

7. Radio

Radio *****

Got Phospholipids?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  8. Radio

Radio *****

I have found some new information that could have a impact on the road to recovery. I will try and post this research in way that everyone can understand. The best approach I have found is to post question and answers to simplify these topics.

The main focus in this thread is to post research to help prevent Apoptosis cell death and information on supporting the mitochondria. We need to protect the mitochondria to allow our cells to recover faster and make new mitochondria to replace old cellular damage.

How do we protect the mitochondria from cellular damage and cell death?

I used to think there was very little we could do to prevent mitochondrial apoptosis (cell death). That was before I learned some surprising facts about purple food. Yes, purple food. No, I'm not having a brain fog moment. No, I don't work for the Purple Nutritional Supplement Corporation PNSC. There is something really special about purple food. There is a special mitochondria flavonoid protector called Anthocyanin.

What foods have Anthocyanin in them?

Actually this antioxidant is found in many foods we already eat and foods you never thought about of eating. Foods like Purple Rice, purple corn, purple potatoes, Purple plums, blue berries, cabbage, onions, eggplant, Beets, purple Cauliflower, grapes, purple Carrots and many other fruits.

How can Anthocyanins protect the mitochondria?

Radio: Anthocyanins suppress MOS-induced apoptosis cell death, that is the key to our recovery.

Radio note:
    We need HDL cholesterol to make bile acid to control dysbiosis.The next post has to do with Alfa Glycopeptides, They have high amounts of Anthocyanins (Purple food) in them. They are a super purple foods. This research is based on purple rice or black rice.

Radio note :
    These foods also has antibacterial activities. This means it can also help control dysbiosis.

Radio note:
    Anthocyanins also have anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic activity as well.

Anthocyanins Info

Anthocyanins / Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  9. Radio

Radio *****

Radio: I like...Life Extension, Bilberry Extract, 100 mg $31.50

Radio Warning : Nerd alert : Oxidative Phosphorylation

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Cytochromes/cytochromes.html

10. Radio

Radio *****

I'm working on a new thread that will help forum members better understand the root cause of this predicament. We can never overcome dysbiosis until we treat the underlying cause of these microbial imbalances. We have identify the main contributing factors to these overgrowth are related to hydrochloric acid, bile acid insufficiencies. The main focus in this thread is to post research to help prevent Apoptosis cell death and information on supporting the mitochondria. Yes, we have a conundrum on our hands big time. I feel every problem has a solution.

The cells in are body need to obtain energy from food. We need glucose to convert pyruvate to provide fuel to make ATP. I eat rice and moderately high carbohydrate vegetables to support my mitochondria function. I'm now supplementing with sustained release emulsified oregano oil as well as high dose vitamin C to control my dysbiosis. The best way for me to know if my diet is on point is to look at my skin. The skin is a great way to evaluate your liver function is not being over-loaded with metabolic waste. A high fat diet will only congest the liver more and potentially be problematic in the long run.

Yes in moderation...:thumbsup:

11. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I mostly agree with this, but if there is an existing Dysbiosis isn't eating carbs (being a fermentable substrate) Only going to perpetuate the problem?

Radio likes this.
  12. Radio

Radio *****

Yes, we have a catch 22 at play here. Most doctors don't understand that the mitochondria is are first priority. My main concern is to protect the mitochondria and avoid possible irreversible cell death. We need acquit HCL / Bile acids to help keep dysbiosis in check. We need to identify and treat H.pylori, gastritis and other possible contributing factors. We also need digestive support for the dysbiosis protocols to have a chance to work. We are working on a thread that well show research linking theses contributing factors in more detail.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    tdog333 likes this.
  13. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

So then your opinion is that lipid replacement should be first before aggressively treating gut issues? Not that we can't as much as add HCL and digestive enzymes in the meantime.

14. Radio

Radio *****

Yes, The first step in recovery is supporting mitochondria function.
    The short answer yes, aggressively treating gut issues is a bad idea when you have mitochondrial damage. We need to take a gentle holistic approach and treat the underlying cause and identify all contributing factors.

15. Radio

Radio *****

Radio: Cranberries are also high in Anthocyanin. This could be useful for H.pylori infection as cranberries can prevent attachment of bacteria to the stomach lining.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  16. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Radio,

The low energy form of ATP (called AMP) is actively pumped out of cells because it is toxic to them - it's part of the possible explanation for PEM. ATP on the other hand has no transporter to get it through cell membranes. This means that even if you can get it into blood sub-lingually it can't get into the cells themselves where good can be done.

If only it were so easy :-(

Leo

17. Radio

Radio *****

Yes, that is a problem with ATP supplement approach. But, I think this could be helpful in other areas of the body.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  18. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Radio,

the ATPases do not pump ATP!!!

They are ATP sensitive channels that pump other stuff in and out of cells utilising one internal molecule of ATP each time, converting it to ADP in the process. The insulin receptor is one example of such a channel.

The only ATP pumps I am aware of are out of the Mitos and into cells.

Bacteria on the other hand DO have ATP pumps and could benefit from the help :-(

Leo

19. Radio

Radio *****

20. Radio

Radio *****

Adenosine-5'-triphosphate (ATP) supplementation improves low peak muscle torque and torque fatigue during repeated high intensity exercise sets
    http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/48

See more popular forum discussions.