• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitigating Expsoure to Solvents

acrosstheveil

I have had lyme + coinfections for about 8 or so years now and I finally have started working somewhat regularly. I am still as miserable as ever but am pushing on through to try to at least partially support myself.

I am now working as a mechanic at a bike shop. I worked in a bike shop in high school and always loved it. The only problem is now I am taking on a much higher volume of work. Every time I have to use the parts washer (tetrachloroethylene) in the back I get incredibly sick and can barely drive home at the end of the day. I put on latex gloves, another pair of rubber gloves, and I even started wearing a chemical respirator and am STILL getting sick! Even if I just get a tiny drop of this stuff on my skin or inhale some of the fumes I get so sick! I can't think straight and it is definitely making my liver hurt!

Are there any supplements I can take that will help mitigate the effects of the exposure to this chemical? I am around some other chemicals as well but for some reason this is the one that costs me the most trouble.

I have tried taking like 15g of ascorbic acid before going back to the parts washer with not much help. I have tried n-acetyl cysteine but can't really do that because it messes with the methylation protocol I am on. I have also tried rhodiola, eleuthero, milk thistle but they just aren't effective enough.

I really don't know what to do. I don't know if I can continue working there if I am getting this sick every time I do a damn premium tuneup (we wash the drivetrain in the solvent).

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have had lyme + coinfections for about 8 or so years now and I finally have started working somewhat regularly. I am still as miserable as ever but am pushing on through to try to at least partially support myself.

I am now working as a mechanic at a bike shop. I worked in a bike shop in high school and always loved it. The only problem is now I am taking on a much higher volume of work. Every time I have to use the parts washer (tetrachloroethylene) in the back I get incredibly sick and can barely drive home at the end of the day. I put on latex gloves, another pair of rubber gloves, and I even started wearing a chemical respirator and am STILL getting sick! Even if I just get a tiny drop of this stuff on my skin or inhale some of the fumes I get so sick! I can't think straight and it is definitely making my liver hurt!

Are there any supplements I can take that will help mitigate the effects of the exposure to this chemical? I am around some other chemicals as well but for some reason this is the one that costs me the most trouble.

I have tried taking like 15g of ascorbic acid before going back to the parts washer with not much help. I have tried n-acetyl cysteine but can't really do that because it messes with the methylation protocol I am on. I have also tried rhodiola, eleuthero, milk thistle but they just aren't effective enough.

I really don't know what to do. I don't know if I can continue working there if I am getting this sick every time I do a damn premium tuneup (we wash the drivetrain in the solvent).

A doctor prescribed Thorne's "Solvent Remover" for me. I haven't tried it, but you might want to look at it.

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...gclid=CIjnxLi1uLwCFepFMgode2gA9Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sushi

helen1

You might look into coffee enemas, as they appear to be great for clearing out the liver. I know they sound strange, but they help me significantly. I know of others who also get good results.

acrosstheveil

i ordered some thiamine. it is supposed to strengthen the blood-brain-barrier which I think is where most of my issues are stemming from. If I don't get any results from thiamine I will try benfotiamine.

caledonia

Unfortunately, I think you're messing with fire. The first line of defense for MCS is avoidance. The second line of defense is raising glutathione.

What's going on is you don't have enough glutathione to detoxify this substance and that's why it makes you sick. You can either raise glutathione by supplementing directly, or by doing methylation treatment. Some people don't tolerate direct glutathione supplementation. Ben Lynch says to be sure to take NAD with glutathione, so it converts to the good kind, reduced glutathione and not to the bad oxidized glutathione.

If you're not already getting improvement in MCS from methylation, then perhaps your treatment needs tweaking, because this would be a sign that you're not making glutathione, and that's pretty much the whole point of methylation.

Outside of quitting your job, maybe there are some creative ways you can practice avoidance. Can you get someone else to wash the parts. Can you switch to a less toxic solvent. Can you set up an exhaust fan to the outside, and so forth.