Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Missing link found between brain, immune system -- with major disease implications

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14432.html

Received, 30 October 2014
    Accepted, 20 March 2015
    Published online, 01 June 2015

JaimeS, lookinglass, justy and 20 others like this.
  2. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    And here is a write-up of the findings:
    remainder of the article here:

http://m.medicalxpress.com/news/201...og.likes"]&action_ref_map=[]#&ui-state=dialog

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Ideally, this would cause a massive shift in research concerning neurological diseases toward examination of what lymphocytes found in these structures have been doing. Unfortunately, that is not the way big science operates.

Any modern research program has a certain resemblance to a freight train.

It is put together from many parts, but most of these do not provide motive power. It takes a long time to assemble, and to get moving. Once underway it is unable to stop quickly. Attempts to change direction based on discoveries made after it is underway are likely to be catastrophic. It is a poor vehicle for exploring completely unfamiliar territory.

picante, JaimeS, garcia and 10 others like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Exciting discovery. Sounds like they identified a missing link between immune system and brain.

angee111, justy, merylg and 5 others like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, it seems to be quite a finding. I think it's rare to make a discovery about human anatomy these days, isn't it?

Could it link in with Fluge and Mella's ideas about epithelium cells as well, I wonder?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    justy, merylg, aimossy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    If Ray Perrin has seen this, he will be beside himself.

7. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Hubris at it’s finest.

When will scientists and physicians realize that they will never know everything about the body. They behave as if each discovery is “the final frontier” and no more can possibly be found. They’re like Kindergartners with a box of 8 crayons who think they’ve mastered all the colors in the world.

How many times must this happen for medicine to finally grasp that every new technological advance will bring new knowledge, and with it, another vindicated patient group.

8. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

These vessels, like other kinds, are examples of endothelial tissues. Endothelial dysfunction is one term I've been tracking. It also turned up in that research on B-cells producing peptides that limited recruitment of T-cells to inflamed tissues. Depleting B-cells with defective signalling would then make sense to correct the problem.

It appears the reason these lymphatic vessels were overlooked was that standard techniques in dissection separate dural tissues from meninges, destroying them. Just because humans perceive dura and meninges as separate structures with different functions is no reason Nature has to agree.

justy, GracieJ, alex3619 and 10 others like this.
  9. Vic

Vic

Just what I thought.

merylg likes this.
  10. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

This looks like a massive massive finding. What do you make of this @Jonathan Edwards ? :D

11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I noticed this under its less brainy title on EurekaAlert - didn't realise there was already a thread on it - thanks, @Scarecrow!

Here's my post, for others whose heads this news may also be soaring over:

Just spotted this one on Ryan Prior's Forgotten Plague FB page - this study has just been published in Nature:

Read the rest here:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-06/uovh-mlf052915.php#.VW2yhlQ0cct.facebook

MeSci, MEMum and Scarecrow like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Who is Ray Perrin - not Reggie's brother I presume?

Luther Blissett, justy, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Well it has a certain simple elegance to it as a piece of science. Whether it makes much difference to any theories of brain disease I am not sure. In general we are interested in why lymphocytes and monocytes get into brain and misbehave. Lymphatics are the recycling bins of tissues. We had always assumed that lymphocytes would have to traffic out of brain somehow - unless they just died there. I am not sure that anybody had much idea where they would pop out but they could exit through venules or arachnoid granulations maybe. It looks as if they may exit through tubular structures similar to lymphatic vessels elsewhere. Lymphatic endothelium does not really have the trafficking significance of venular endothelium, which has adhesion molecules to facilitate cell emigration. Lymphatics don't want to have these because the idea is just to form a funnel to let cells waft out of tissues - a sort of drainpipe.

One potential implication is that dendritic cells and monocyte derived cells may carry antigen away from the brain down lymphatics and present it to T cells, in the same way they do for other tissues. This would be a further argument against the theory that CNS antigens are somehow hidden from the immune system.

JaimeS, MeSci, merylg and 6 others like this.
  14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    No but you might laugh all the same.

He's an osteopath who, many years ago, treated a cyclist for back pain. Several sessions later, back pain resolved, the cyclist told him that his ME was also improved. Based on that experience and feedback from other patients Perrin developed a therapy, known imaginatively as the Perrin Technique, which is a sort of hybrid of lymphatic massage and osteopathy.

Osteopaths have long believed that there is a connection between the brain and the lymphatic system. I've been to a talk given by Perrin and he uses the term 'waters of the brain' (beautifully arcane).

Looks like this may be that missing link.

Wayne, JaimeS, natasa778 and 9 others like this.
  15. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

So the reason ritux works could be because there is an autoimmune process against something in the CNS?

16. Jonathan Edwards

I always knew Reggie's brother was an osteopath - sort of felt it in my bones - or in my waters maybe.

17. Jonathan Edwards

That is already on the cards since we know of autoimmunity to potassium channel complexes and other CNS proteins.

MeSci, merylg, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  18. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  19. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    Your thread is featured on the mainpage and For a moment my lymebrain thought the title was - research confirms there is no... CFS-FIBRO-LYME
    The last few words of the title are cut out and then your username is placed after that.

Note to self, don't read phoenixrising right after waking when brain is in lymemode to avoid heartattack.

20. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Hmm, ok. So does this help how prions are responsible for things such as Mad Cow disease?

GG

Gondwanaland likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.