1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Misrepresentation of Randomized Controlled Trials in Press Releases & News Coverage: A Cohort Study

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 14, 2012.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    What's needed, of course, are scientific journalists capable of detecting the spin and explaining it to a lay readership. To do that, the journalist would need the scientific background to actually read and understand the paper itself, or at least find an objective expert source who could provide a close reading. Assessing study design and methods, being aware of the existing literature on the subject and any relevant political factors, having the ability to judge whether the data actually supports the conclusions (and to spot key omissions in the data)...well, that's an impossibly tall order.

There are some very good science journalists out there, but not many. I don't really blame the bad ones for being bad; outlets that don't care to devote the resources to paying the good ones for good work get, instead, a person who regurgitates a press release. Or else they just print the press release without alteration, which is by far the simplest and cheapest thing to do.
    Enid likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    All of this is why I proposed a global media release centre for neuroimmune diseases. I will be discussing this more several blogs from now. Bye, Alex
  3. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Aloha

I see one potential pitfall with having big centralized organizations for controlling everything. Maybe a centralized power structure can be taken over by the .01% and used contrary to the best interests of the 99.9%?

For instance; It's seems pretty easy for a few rich and powerful people to take over one centralized agency, but what about taking over 10,000 local agencies?

Ron Paul proposed eliminating the federal department of education in the United States. (Might sound strange to eliminate a department of education....) However, (I think) his goal was to leave the decisions in control of the localities instead of imposing regulations from one central education agency. In essence, let the people most familiar with the neighborhoods decide how they would educate their kids, what books to use, and how to structure the program.

I think Ron Paul's basic premise was to prevent a few people from controlling the whole process for the interest of the 0.1%.

Who knows maybe his de-centralized approach would be more effective if applied somehow to global media....?
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Jarod, we have a decentralized approach now, its failing. The big issue with proper implementation of things like a global media centre is the checks and balances that go into its formation. Get that wrong and it can indeed be manipulated. Much of this disinformation that is out there is because the checks and balances that are established in society are failing. Part of the reason for that is the existing checks and balances do not apply to new organizations and processes, and for old organizations they reflect society decades or centuries ago. The systems of checks and balances are not set up for the modern world.

The other problem is that I propose a media centre as a counter to existing PR machines that are churning out disinformation - propaganda. Something has to be done. This is not the entire solution, but it might be part of one. One key issue I hope to push is freedom of dissent. Free speech is intrinsic to proper information management. I will have more to say on that in the next several blogs. I will also be covering a major scandal involving editorial bias in scientific publishing - but its not new, just overlooked.

If something could be done to reverse the decline in investigative journalism this would also help, but that is probably outside of our reach.

Bye, Alex
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Sean, this is almost a definition of Zombie Science. Bye, Alex
  6. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Hey Alex. Not sure how it works really. Haven't thought about it much. I just like to talk/think about various ideas/concepts.

Couple of snipetts from the SMC and Welcome trust:

Science Media Centre

SMC covers a broad range of subject matter, as one can see from a quick read of the press release titles.

Anyways. I guess if one doesnt like what they get at SMC, they can go to Welcome Trust "SPIN" science policy in the news. Love that name.o_O More SPIN?

Just my two cents worth.
    currer likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.