Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Misdiagnosed bipolar: One girl's struggle through psychiatric wards

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This article is a few months old, but very interesting. The WPI Tweeted it.

It's about a patient who was diagnosed with bipolar that didn't respond to treatment.

And then she was rediagnosed with PANS or PANDAS, and treated accordingly with autoimmune and anti-inflammatory therapies.

Also, the following treatment was tried:
    "Frankovich knew she needed more aggressive measures to bring Tessa back. In December 2012, after much debate within Stanford itself, agreement was reached to conduct a three-day treatment called plasmapheresis that would run Tessa's blood through a machine to clean out toxic antibodies, followed by a powerful immune-suppressing drug called Rituximab."

Misdiagnosed bipolar: One girl's struggle through psych wards before Stanford doctors make bold diagnosis and treatment
    Julia Prodis
    April 19 2014
    www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_25600426/misdiagnosed-bipolar-one-girls-struggle-through-psych-wards

It's all interesting, so it's difficult to pick out extracts, but here are some extracts:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    AndyPandy, Tunguska, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Note that Dr Mady Hornig & Dr Lipkin do research in this area.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    snowathlete and Simon like this.
  3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    snowathlete and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.