Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Misconduct Pervades UK Research - BMJ

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Mark, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    "UK research is plagued with misconduct, according to a survey of 2,700 scientists by the British Medical Journal. It found that 13 per cent had first-hand knowledge of UK-based researchers deliberately altering or fabricating data, while 6 per cent were aware of misconduct that had not been properly investigated."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bc6f7204-3d1f-11e1-8129-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1jHGk2XOJ

The British public do not know what is going on, said Fiona Godlee, BMJ editor. People need to realise that misconduct is affecting patients every day and it is a misappropriation of public funds.

Oh, the irony! :rolleyes:

British taxpayers interested in reading this report must join GlaxoSmithKline and Merck in making a contribution to the BMJ in order to gain access - not having done so myself, I'm just making a wild guess that it doesn't even mention the PACE trial...

Research misconduct is widespread and harms patients
    http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e14

Snow Leopard likes this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Can't view either Mark but can only add "oh the irony" too.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thank god we have Fiona Godlee there to tell us what is going on. I am so shocked.

4. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    snorts with laughter - thanks for giving a giggle before bed

See more popular forum discussions.