• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mirror: Experience what it's like to suffer from CFS in free video game

valentinelynx

The game seems to me to be completely one-dimensional. By that I mean that the only symptom you have is fatigue. Am I wrong - I only looked at the first play through? What about light/sound intolerance? What about you want to eat, but the food causes you to crash? Or, eating makes you nauseated? Or, you wash your clothes and the fragrance left in the dryer knocks you down? You can't work because you have a headache from looking at the computer screen? Or, you go to bed, but can't sleep (not just because of the dirty dishes).

taniaaust1

The game seems to me to be completely one-dimensional. By that I mean that the only symptom you have is fatigue. Am I wrong - I only looked at the first play through? What about light/sound intolerance? What about you want to eat, but the food causes you to crash? Or, eating makes you nauseated? Or, you wash your clothes and the fragrance left in the dryer knocks you down? You can't work because you have a headache from looking at the computer screen? Or, you go to bed, but can't sleep (not just because of the dirty dishes).

lol that sounds better, it probably would be too hard for the healthies to play though :p Just imagine the game frustration trying different things over and over "what the heck are i meant to do now?"

Maybe one day someone will event a more complex game.

Effi

The game seems to me to be completely one-dimensional.
The game was based on the spoon theory, which is pretty one dimensional, and works for all chronic (mostly autoimmune) illnesses. The spoon theory doesn't really explain the entire reality of ME, but I guess it's a good starting point, and something healthy people can easily relate to. I'd love for the game to have loads of unexpected setbacks - just like we have every day of our lives!
Just imagine the game frustration trying different things over and over "what the heck are i meant to do now?
That would be the fun of it! At least for us, to see people go through the struggle we go through every day. ;)

EtherSpin

given the video game format we need (as it would be so easily to digitally simulate) brain fog, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity and balance issues from OI for the many who have that side effect

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
It seem to me VR technology would be better suited for a simulation of cfs/me, you could create the sense of disorientation, blacking out, hallucinations, or vertigo. Ringing in the ears is an easy one. Bonus points simulate muscle twitching or palpitations with haptic feedback.

The technology is certainly all here.​

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

The people demand an IBS Simulator! Make it happen, Robin! :D