• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mirena coil

Sarahloudobby

hi everyone especially ladies on here for this question. Has anyone else got the mirena coil? While it has helped me with contraception and heavy cycles it has also had other extreme reactions with my body and after three years I’m still having hair loss, a lot more acne, and very up and down moods. Also my IBS symptoms seem worse. Is it possible that mirena can be exacerbating some of ME symptoms?
Many thanks Sarah x

MEMum

I have a friend who had to stop it because it caused her dreadful depression and worse acne and did not improve her heavy bleeding. She does not have ME, but had endometriosis.

wonderoushope

I thought I would add my two cents worth. I have had one for a year. I love the fact that I don't get terrible cramps anymore and when it was that TTOM I would get this really tight upper abdomen bloating thing happening which was really uncomfortable. I have been tested for endo and PCOS and all came back fine.

Unfortunately, though I think it causes terrible itching and dryness for me down in the private parts and for some reason in the last few months, cramping and spotting has come back and sometimes it can happen 2-3 a week. Also the tight bloating is coming back when I get the cramping. The itching happens mainly at night so it even is harder to sleep.

I also noticed that I am getting skin discolouration on my forehead.

At one thought it caused depression, but any depression symptoms have lifted. I got depression around the 6-month mark, but I think it may have been from other health issues. The depression didn't last long 2-3 weeks.

So I am going to go to the GP to see if it has moved. I really want to keep it though, because the monthly cramping was terrible (and caused my IBS to be triggered) and I really can't take painkillers as they cause stomach issues for me, increasing food sensitivities and gastritis. I'd rather the itching a slight cramping over going back to major pain every month.

Sarahloudobby

Thank you for replying I just think the coil doesn’t agree with my ME but it has alleviated my heavy period symptoms which caused all sorts of problems of their own. I did wonder if mine had moved, I had one scan done after the strings disappeared to check where it was for my peace of mind and it was ok then but that was about twelve months ago or more. Wishing you luck with yours