1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Minocyclin

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by glenp, Dec 29, 2010.

1. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    I couldn't find the minocyclin thread. Has anyone had negative affects from minocyclin? I have been taking minocyclin for 6 months and have had much improvement. I've noticed ringing in my ears which really scares me and wonder if anyone has had any bad affects from it. I have had damage from gentamycin so am very cautious now - I just stopped and will call my doctor tomorrow. I really hate to stop - It has improved my migraines and head pain dramatically. I am wondering if the ringing in the ears could be it affecting the inner ear as gentamycin can?? and that is permanent?? I called the pharmassist who said all symptoms disappear after treatment is stopped!!!! ???

Thank you
    glen
  2. aruschima

aruschima I know nothing

Global
    Hi Glenp,

1.The ringing in the ear sounds like Tinnitus and sounds like a side effect of Minocycline

Side effects

Minocycline may cause upset stomach, diarrhea, dizziness, unsteadiness, drowsiness, headache and vomiting. Minocycline increases sensitivity to sunlight. It has also been linked to cases of lupus. Minocycline can reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.[8] Prolonged use of minocycline over an extended period of time can lead to blue-gray skin (permanent blue discoloration of gums) or teeth discoloration. Rare but serious side effects include fever, yellowing of the eyes or skin, stomach pain, sore throat, vision changes, and mental changes, including depersonalization.[9][10]
    Minocycline, but not other tetracyclines, can cause vestibular disturbances with dizziness, ataxia, vertigo and tinnitus. This side effect is much more common in women than in men, occurring in 50% to 70% of women receiving minocycline. As a result of the frequency of this bothersome side effect, minocycline is rarely used in female patients.[11]
    Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, and trouble breathing.[9] Minocycline has also been reported to cause idiopathic intracranial hypertension (pseudotumor cerebri).
    ADVERSE REACTIONS Others: Thyroid cancer has been reported in the post-marketing setting in association with minocycline products. When minocycline therapy is given over prolonged periods, monitoring for signs of thyroid cancer should be considered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minocycline

2. Minocycline is known for its bad side effect and can also induce, or activate dormant autoimmune diseases.

I had a long thread on prohealth years ago on
    You can find it here :http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1015520&setBoard=FM#1015520

In my opinion: not a good idea to take ABX for patients with ME/CFS, especially those who have autoimmune (like) issues. But if it helped you, you might be able to change to one which has less side effects than Minocycline, if you intend to take ABX for a longer period.

Hope that helps.

Aruschima
  3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I tried Minocylcine 18-24 months ago for a couple of weeks. It made me very nauseous and I didn't see any other change during that time so I quit. I tried again a couple of months later with the same result, so I gave up on it.

I didn't have any ringing in my ears, though.
  4. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Senior Member

Minocycline: inhibiting NF-KappaB in the brain, inhibiting microglial activation, inhibits HIV replication, protects brains of mice from an MLV (close relative of XMRV). Seems like it would at least help via NF-KappaB inhibition, and if we were really lucky might directly inhibit XMRV replication as it does in HIV. The list of studies documenting one or another neuroprotective feature of minocycline is ridiculously long now but I will limit this to what seems most relevant to XMRV:

Has anyone tried Minocycline for XMRV?
  5. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Ty for your replies

It has really helped me for the 6 months I have been on it ---- helps my head. I hated to stop but am terrified of the buzzing ears - thinking back to when I took gentamycin and got permanent damage - idk if it could cause permanent inner ear damage or not? It really has helped -- migraines, soar head, smells that aren't there, and also soar throat

glen
  6. pine108kell

pine108kell Senior Member

I always a little surprised when I read that people with CFS can tolerate minocycline for long periods. The die off for me is horrenduous and turns me into a basket case in less than a week. It makes me feel better for a few days because of the anti-inflammatory properties then the die off response becomes unbearable. I definitely have more signifigant bacterial infections (seem to have lyme) or a very different immune system.

I wonder if the benefits you are recieving are from killing organisms or the anti-inflammatory response? If it is the latter, maybe something else will help--I wish I knew what would give the benefits of the powerful anti-inflammatory response relevant to CFS without the die off or long term abx use.

See more popular forum discussions.