• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mineral complex vs individual minerals

renski

Is there be any difference between absorption of minerals from a complex and individual minerals?

I swear when I take zinc, manganese or selenium on their own I get a positive effect, yet when I take mineral complexes I get other different side effects.. (could be the other minerals). The forms are the same for zinc/selenium, the manganese is a different form. I'm wondering if some minerals aren't being absorbed in the complex? Or does the body just respond differently when you take all of these things together in a complex.

I'm low on manganese, selenium, zinc, iodine.

NB, I'm using what should be high quality supplements so that shouldn't be an issue (Pure encapsulations).

Last edited:
Apparently chelates are the best absorbed... eating just an apple a day will provide most of the minerals we need though. Fruit is the ultimate food with minerals, vitamins, fibre, low protein, low fat which is good for not causing disease, some carbs for energy, super high phytochemicals/anti oxidants/polyphenols of which 10,000 or more have been discovered, and prevent, and reverse disease like cancer. Fruit also has organic acids in them which feed into krebs cycle to make ATP. Apples were called king of the fruits perhaps because of their organic acid content, maybe the same reason for the apple a day keeps the doctor away slogan. I recall reading an ancient Greek writer who said there was people who lived only on apples. He said they were super strong, and really fast runners, and lived to 200 years. He must of been wrong on the years part but after finding out about organic acids in apples, and in krebs cycle to make ATP it makes me want to eat lots of apples everyday... So far I only do one a day though lol.

renski

I tested some of my minerals in the blood and:
- manganese was still low despite taking around 2mg in the complex
- Selenium had gone up a bit
- Chromium was up a bit
- Zinc very high

I think there is something going on with the complex, maybe some minerals are being absorbed in favour of others? I'm testing my hair next week so should be interesting.. I've switched to individual minerals and working on getting all of them in my daily intake but at the dosages I want for each mineral.

pamojja

I tested some of my minerals in the blood and:
- manganese was still low despite taking around 2mg in the complex
- Selenium had gone up a bit
- Chromium was up a bit
- Zinc very high

What amount have you taken in what time-frame for having these results?

I'm low on manganese, selenium, zinc, iodine.

Or how on earth hat was that dramatic change possible in the course of only 2 weeks?

Last edited:

renski

@pamojja:
I tested bloods on Oct 23, then started taking one cap of mineral 650 and half cap of trace minerals from pure encapsulations. Redid blood tests last week. I'm waiting to see how hair mineral test looks, my lithium was still undetectable on blood also, although I can only tolerate about 400mcg at the moment.

Selenium - about 65mcg
Chromium - about 135mcg
Zinc - 15mg

pamojja

Wow, you've been responsive. Have taken about 3 times as much Zinc for many years, still no increase from the low end of normal in blood.

Be aware that Chronium in HTMA isn't quantitatively telling (also Co, Li and Mo). High Manganese may mean low blood levels. Same with Ca, Mg and Zn, where high levels may indicate depletion in body stores. B, RB, Ge and V are not reliable at all.

renski

Wow, you've been responsive. Have taken about 3 times as much Zinc for many years, still no increase from the low end of normal in blood.

Be aware that Chronium in HTMA isn't quantitatively telling (also Co, Li and Mo). High Manganese may mean low blood levels. Same with Ca, Mg and Zn, where high levels may indicate depletion in body stores. B, RB, Ge and V are not reliable at all.

Hmm ok, my lithium was very low on hair and blood, selenium also. Manganese was low in blood (and seem to go lower once I started taking many supplements including b vitamins) but it was normal in hair. Zinc was low in blood but normal in hair, copper was high in hair. I have pyrroluria so a lot of that makes sense.