• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Minding Your Mitochondria

arx

I recently came across this woman who treated her MS and got out of her wheelchair. I think she's pretty famous, and you might have read about her/her book. If you haven't,here's a TEDx video she did..

Link:
Minding my mitochondria

She focussed a lot on diet,and has made me thinking about the importance of it..

PointsNorth

Paulo
She was instrumental in me trying a paleo diet earlier this year altho I found it difficult to give up dairy completely. Dr. Wahls diet is hardcore paleo and she uses a TENS machine and some other things which may have contributed to her success. I think she needs to start her own 6-month Paleo boot camp where you are obliged to follow her diet to a tee and food is prepared for you. My current level of disability makes it hard to follow this kind of diet at home. Following a paleo diet has helped me discover (thru elimination) that I have a level of gluten sensitivity - so at least one positive outcome for me. I have SPMS and I know just how miraculous her recovery has been!

arx

PointsNorth

What differences did you observe after removing gluten from your diet?
I removed all dairy items completely for a week,but observed no changes. Aren't these sensitivities something which can be observed clearly, like black and white? Or are there subtle levels to it?

PointsNorth

Paulo
arx removing gluten helps with my IBD issues. Just because you aren't celiac doesn't mean you can't have some level of gluten sensitivity. There is an easy way to find out if you have some level of sensitivity - by simply eliminating it for a few weeks and noting any changes. One must keep in mind that gluten has made its way into many foods . . . And more. E.g. Certain toothepastes contain gluten. According to an article in the LA Times the gluten-free industry is valued at 4.2 billion/yr.

Gluten seems to be linked with everything from MS to CFS to Fibro etc etc. We've been eating gluten for the last 10,000 years and Paleo for 2+million years before that. I need milk for my tea and I'm having a hard time finding a substitute:-( If you're flirting with Paleo, eliminating gluten is a great place to start. I've reduced by 80-90% but have not completely eliminated.

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2...-in-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.htm