Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Milk Thistle Can Raise Prolactin Levels.

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ema, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I ran across this the other day and thought it might be applicable to many of us who take milk thistle for liver support.

If you have high prolactin levels, this might be a contributing factor.

More on high prolactin symptoms in this thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-prolactin-causes-severe-fatigue.24117/

Little Bluestem and Sushi like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    It can also have negative interactions with many drugs, so if you take it, use a drug checker to see if it interferes with anything you are taking.

Sushi

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

For this reason I avoid silymarin, and instead use silybin phytosome.

Actually, I suspect quite a few herbals can probably increase prolactin. Herbals are pharmaceutically dirty, and often have hormonal effects.

4. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

This probably explains why I get so much energy from silymarin. It elevates my already high prolactine, which decreases SHBG even more, which elevates testosterone. Explains why my PMS gets worse from silymarin too. Thanks for posting this, @Ema

Gondwanaland likes this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I thought that high prolactin would decrease testosterone :confused:

6. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

It does. But in my case it seems to lower SBHG. Low SBHG doesn't increase absolute levels increases the amount of unbound and active testosterone. I e normal testosterone levels but high effects form testosterone. Complicated stuff!

I'm waiting for more tests. Hope it will all make more sense soon. Thing is I'm a bit scared that lower testosterone will make me worse. :grumpy:

Gondwanaland likes this.
  7. Gondwanaland

Lower testosterone always makes me worse. In fact my health went downhill after taking warfarin which antagonizes Vit K, which is needed for healthy levels of T.

Edit-- In fact I get mixed result from Silymarin, and can't take it continuosly.

8. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Are your testo levels normal or high? Mine are normal but SHBG/testo (or if it's the other way around) quote is 0,09, which means too much unbound testo. Should be <0,06.

9. Gondwanaland

Low.

10. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Ok. I'm thinking that since mine are high I won't feel so bad if I lower them. But that could be just wishful thinking, I guess. :rolleyes:

Went to see the endocrinologist to day, he suspects I have PCOS. They'll do an ultrasound to check my ovaries in August. That sure would explain a lot. And btw, my prolactine levels weren't high. They took the test three minutes after I woke up, that's why it came up high. The correct test showed normal levels.

See more popular forum discussions.