1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mikowitz accused of manipulating XMRV paper

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Valentijn, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
  2. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    ERV us so busy being cutesy, I miss the point of showing all those colors and brightnesses. I'm not even sure what the claim is, except something about using the same slide twice. But it's presented in such a confusing way, I'm not persuaded.
    Nina likes this.
  4. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

I would like to hear some professional talk about using the slides 2 times and if it's really the same slide.
  5. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Abbie Smith has a huge conflict of interest in that she openly and emotionally despises the scientist Judy Mikovits, as do her followers.

Conflict of interest. And a very unprofessional demeanour at that!

That's before we get to the allegation and importance to attached to it.
    Wildcat likes this.
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

Trine Tsouderos wrote in the Chicago Tribune:

'Patients in online forums reacted swiftly. "I have been a big supporter of WPI, sending them a lot of money whilst having only little. But this is very serious. At best they are incredibly sloppy and disorganized," one person wrote on the Phoenix Rising forum.'

Online forums are places where ME patients express diverse valid views and discuss them (amongst other things).

The quote by Trine illustrates how journalists select only specific quotes that 'fit' the slant of the story the journalist wants to give.
    Roy S likes this.
  7. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

Trine Tsouderos in the Chicago Tribune:

'Retrovirologist Jonathan Stoye, who co-wrote a supportive commentary accompanying the 2009 study, said of the recent events: "It is a tragedy in every respect." '

Oh yeah - positively Shakespearean!

UK Medical Research Council researcher Jonathon Stoye illustrates to what extent ME science has been overtaken by narrative soundbites from government funded researchers, while the cutting edge science has gone out of the window.

And exactly to what extent do we trust our British government funded researchers to advance the bioscience on ME???
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

Waverunner wrote: "I would like to hear some professional talk ..."

I agree. I would like to hear some valid professional talk from the WPI/Mikovits denigrators.

That ME science is being invidiously misportrayed by a young student with the mentality of a spiteful eight year old playground bully (ERV) should be of real concern to the real science professionals out there (where are you??)
  9. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Yes Wildcat. Spot on.
  10. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

The Tribune could have selected some suitably professional quotes from ERV on Mikovits, like "She is a gigantic f***ing c**t" (my asterisks. This was the point where I stopped visiting that blog.)
  11. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    See how Stoye behaved at CROI...more than a hint of bias, perchance, hm?
    ukxmrv likes this.
  12. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Thanks Anciendaze. I had forgotten about that one!
    Wildcat likes this.
  13. paddygirl

paddygirl Senior Member

erv

Did she really say this? Can we bring this to the attention of T.T's employers. God if trash like this is put in print can you imagine whats going on in the background?
    Glynis Steele likes this.
  14. Nina

Nina Senior Member

Why anyone would accuse Mikovits of being "too emotional" or "too outspoken" and then go on to commend this girl Abbie Smith is beyond me. Double standards par excellence.
    SOC, OverTheHills, leela and 2 others like this.
  15. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Abbie would appear to be nothing but a suck up to Coffin, Stoye, et al. Maybe she's looking to partner with Alan Dove and have a show "Celebrity Virology Researcher Death Match". First we'll have Mikovits v. Crawley and the winner will take on Coffin. The final match will be with Fauci. Abbie clearly wants to move up to the big time. Where is Truman College anyway? The standards of academia have fallen quite far. I can't believe her discourse is fitting of a PhD candidate.
    Wildcat, Nina and ukxmrv like this.
  16. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

You can find the quote in this page by searching for "gigantic". They may also enjoy her characterization of Harvey Alter as Darth Vader in a post tastefully referring to "Scientific Blue Balls" in the title.

You can see real venom in her reaction to the news the attempt to block publication of his work failed. Does this tell you anything about this 'inside source'? You might also ask them about various claims ERV herself has made about how she can perform any number of magic tricks current virologists are not claiming. She just hasn't had time to actually do them and write up the results for publication, just badmouth others in her blog. Don't ask me to supply details, I stopped reading at the point of those references above.
  17. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Gee whiskers - can we stick to science and findings and not the personal animosities/half baked and emotional opinions coming out of it. My own personal interest is solving the condrum ME which blights so many lives - and research findings revealing so many pathologies now.
    ahimsa, leela and SpecialK82 like this.
  18. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Truman College and Oklahoma University must be so proud of ERV! :rolleyes:

From now on, I plan to include "Abbie Smith, BS Biology Truman College, Phd student at Oklahoma University" whenever I refer to ERV. I'm sure they want the publicity for her valuable :confused: contributions to science information.

ETA: :oops: Apparently it's the University of Oklahoma (OU), not Oklahoma University (or Oklahoma State University or Oklahoma City University or....)
    ukxmrv and leela like this.
  19. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Thanks for putting that link up anciendaze. It really shows how prejudiced ERV and her cronies are. It's one thing to have a potty mouth (who cares?) but it's the level of vicious attack towards Mikovits which is astounding - whether or not obscenity is used.

This has looked like a vendetta from the start, frankly.
    Nina and Wildcat like this.
  20. citybug

citybug Senior Member

NY
    Could the title of this thread be changed? Accused of manipulating a slide talk? Using a slide from the original paper in another discussion.

See more popular forum discussions.