• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mikovits interview states the FDA will confirm WPI findings in a Sept publication

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Nope. I think the argument about birds and dinosaurs has moved on to other aspects. Discovery of true dinosaurs with feathers has caused a shift. I doubt anyone is willing to go out on a limb and say feathers evolved independently twice.

Apparently a lot has happened since 1992...

There is a problem with cladistics and viruses: horizontal transfer of genetic information. You have no guarantee of getting a phylogenetic tree. (Technically, it becomes a directed acyclic graph, or dag. Viral heredity can present problems even Cleopatra VII lacked.) XMRV seems destined to break with human conventions in this area also.

Yeah, recombination/pseudotyping can screw up cladistic analyses of retroviruses in particular. Not only XMRV but just about all MLVs seem quite capable of swapping DNA, so the entire "MLV-related virus" population could make for a very weird-looking family tree if the implications of the recent NCI/ WPI work and the Alter study are any indication. It will at least help to have complete viral genomes; just looking at sections of the gag gene won't be enough.