1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mikovits in London May 2011, also Meirleir, Chia, Montoya, Bell

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Kate_UK, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    SilverbladeTE, and others, I agree with your views of the politics involved. This conference is so well focussed and timely, I wish I could be there! The proposed center like the WPI, to be established in Norwich, would be fantastic. I hope they can get moving on this!
  2. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

3. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Are you going, Kate? I hope someone, or ones, here do go and take good notes if there isn't videotaping.

Thank you!

Sing
  4. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Hi Sing,

Invest in ME always make available a set of professionally-recorded DVDs after each of their conferences.

Sam
  5. currer

currer Senior Member

I'm going and I will be taking notes and report back to PR.
    I will put up a thread nearer the date of the conference and ask for questions for the researchers from forum members and try to get them answered for you.
    I'll put up the thread nearer the conference date.
    Any suggestions for anything else I can do while I'm there?
  6. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

FYI, It appears that Dr. Montoya is no longer able to speak at this conference. He used to be on the list of speakers, but he no longer is listed.

Best, Timaca
  7. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Perhaps you can bring a video camera and/or a voice recorder. I know there are supposed to be DVDs, but if you can handle it, perhaps it would be worth the effort?

GG
  8. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    The differences between us and ME/CFS and gay men and AIDS--I can think of a few powerful ones. First, AIDS was killing young people fast and dramatically. Deaths are noticed and responded to. Especially from an obviously contagious disease.

Lastly, gay people are marginalized, outlawed, from the beginning of their lives They have already lost, or never had, what "normal" people try to hold onto or assume that they have. And they have known it. So I think that placed gay men closer to protesting dramatically, to taking their demands to higher levels. What did they have to lose that they hadn't already lost?

Generalizing from my own experience: It is mostly women with ME/CFS and our training is to keep quiet and "be nice". Our energy levels and confusion have contributed. Denial from others has added to our own self doubt and denial. Our tendency was to disappear and become invisible. Now we need to become conscious, to join together and to be persistently assertive, uncomfortably assertive sometimes, and I/we are!
  9. currer

currer Senior Member

Doubt I would be allowed to film as the event will be videoed. I might try recording it as it will help my recall when I write it up.
  10. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

11. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

I don't know. I did go last year and posted my notes here, there were several people who did the same, most of them with better notes than me! The DVDs of the conferences are very good.

Timaca - thanks, I had not noticed that change.
  12. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  13. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I am absolutely gutted, but I didn't register in time to reserve my place for the London conference. I'm on a waiting list, but not expecting to get in.

So I won't be liveblogging the event on my new mobile I'm afraid. :-(

However, anybody who IS attending who would be interested in liveblogging snippets from the conference, please contact me or Adin and we'll see if we can set you up to do that.

I've spoken to the conference organisers and confirmed that audio and video recording of the conference are not permitted due to copyright, and this is essentially a requirement of the scientists presenting their work. I think that reportage like the liveblog, and photos, should be OK, but this should be checked with the organisers first.

As somebody has mentioned, a full DVD of the conference will be made available, so I guess I'll just have to wait for that...

Nothing more to be said: I'm just gutted to have missed my chance to be there. :-(
  14. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Sorry you are not going Mark - hoping this one will at last change the landscape for us here.
  15. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Not a scientist Purple but the autonomic system is very relevant. Perhaps another member will explain. I can only imagine that the "team" at Invest in ME (years of experience) will be bringing in the very best.
  17. beckster

beckster

Cant see what the DATE of the program is , May ____?
  18. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    May 20th.

Sushi
  19. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

20. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Will there be somebody tweeting from the conference?

See more popular forum discussions.