• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mikovits in London May 2011, also Meirleir, Chia, Montoya, Bell

Sing

SilverbladeTE, and others, I agree with your views of the politics involved. This conference is so well focussed and timely, I wish I could be there! The proposed center like the WPI, to be established in Norwich, would be fantastic. I hope they can get moving on this!

Sing

Are you going, Kate? I hope someone, or ones, here do go and take good notes if there isn't videotaping.

Thank you!

Sing

Sam Carter

Are you going, Kate? I hope someone, or ones, here do go and take good notes if there isn't videotaping.

Thank you!

Sing

Hi Sing,

Invest in ME always make available a set of professionally-recorded DVDs after each of their conferences.

Sam

currer

I'm going and I will be taking notes and report back to PR.
I will put up a thread nearer the date of the conference and ask for questions for the researchers from forum members and try to get them answered for you.
I'll put up the thread nearer the conference date.
Any suggestions for anything else I can do while I'm there?

Timaca

FYI, It appears that Dr. Montoya is no longer able to speak at this conference. He used to be on the list of speakers, but he no longer is listed.

Best, Timaca

*GG*

I'm going and I will be taking notes and report back to PR.
I will put up a thread nearer the date of the conference and ask for questions for the researchers from forum members and try to get them answered for you.

I'll put up the thread nearer the conference date.
Any suggestions for anything else I can do while I'm there?

Perhaps you can bring a video camera and/or a voice recorder. I know there are supposed to be DVDs, but if you can handle it, perhaps it would be worth the effort?

GG

Sing

The differences between us and ME/CFS and gay men and AIDS--I can think of a few powerful ones. First, AIDS was killing young people fast and dramatically. Deaths are noticed and responded to. Especially from an obviously contagious disease.

Lastly, gay people are marginalized, outlawed, from the beginning of their lives They have already lost, or never had, what "normal" people try to hold onto or assume that they have. And they have known it. So I think that placed gay men closer to protesting dramatically, to taking their demands to higher levels. What did they have to lose that they hadn't already lost?

Generalizing from my own experience: It is mostly women with ME/CFS and our training is to keep quiet and "be nice". Our energy levels and confusion have contributed. Denial from others has added to our own self doubt and denial. Our tendency was to disappear and become invisible. Now we need to become conscious, to join together and to be persistently assertive, uncomfortably assertive sometimes, and I/we are!

currer

Doubt I would be allowed to film as the event will be videoed. I might try recording it as it will help my recall when I write it up.

Kate_UK

Thank you!

Sing

I don't know. I did go last year and posted my notes here, there were several people who did the same, most of them with better notes than me! The DVDs of the conferences are very good.

Timaca - thanks, I had not noticed that change.

I am absolutely gutted, but I didn't register in time to reserve my place for the London conference. I'm on a waiting list, but not expecting to get in.

So I won't be liveblogging the event on my new mobile I'm afraid. :-(

However, anybody who IS attending who would be interested in liveblogging snippets from the conference, please contact me or Adin and we'll see if we can set you up to do that.

I've spoken to the conference organisers and confirmed that audio and video recording of the conference are not permitted due to copyright, and this is essentially a requirement of the scientists presenting their work. I think that reportage like the liveblog, and photos, should be OK, but this should be checked with the organisers first.

As somebody has mentioned, a full DVD of the conference will be made available, so I guess I'll just have to wait for that...

Nothing more to be said: I'm just gutted to have missed my chance to be there. :-(

Enid

Sorry you are not going Mark - hoping this one will at last change the landscape for us here.

Enid

Not a scientist Purple but the autonomic system is very relevant. Perhaps another member will explain. I can only imagine that the "team" at Invest in ME (years of experience) will be bringing in the very best.