A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mifepristone for ME/CFS? (NK Cell Function / HPA Reset)

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    At end of a recent talk on Gulf War Illness (GWI) and ME/CFS, Dr Klimas mentions that a dose of the abortion drug mifepristone cured GWI in a mouse model.

This drug has been discussed previously by @Cort back in 2014 as a potential ME/CFS treatment but I have not seen much discussion of it since.

In a nutshell it supposedly boosts NK cell function and resets the HPA axis in a few doses. There are scattered reports across the internet of it greatly improving general non-specific fatigue after a handful of low dose treatments, but no mention I can find of any ME/CFS patient taking it.

Has anyone here tried it or have thoughts on its theoretical benefit?

Nickster, Hip, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    From Wikipedia on its mechanism of action

Philipp likes this.
  3. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Some anecdotal accounts

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I think mifepristone increases nk function in gws by blocking high cortisol. In cfs im not sure it would work as we are blocking cortisol which is already low. But i dont think just increasing cortisol in cfsers is going to be enough.

I keep thinking of ketamine to treat neuroinflammation which is one theory they say why it puts pts with depression into remission, as they can be another group with high levels of neuroinflammation. The standard anti inflammatory drugs i just dont think work on this type of inflammation or cant cross into the blood brain barrier??

ScottTriGuy and Jesse2233 like this.
  5. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

I am not sure about this. That might be different in patients! Because as I mention it here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/symptoms-and-cortisol-a-causal-relationship.56174/ my symptoms usually improve in the evening. And that is when cortisol is very low... But I don't know my cortisol profile yet.

heapsreal likes this.
  6. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

According to the way it works, the result might be different for men or women...

Learner1 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The HPA-axis reset that mifepristone is thought to achieve arises from this drug's antagonism of the glucocorticoid type II receptors. Since there is thought to be HPA-axis dysfunction in ME/CFS, this HPA-axis reset might have beneficial effects for ME/CFS patients.

In this study on patients with psychotic major depression, a short four-day course of mifepristone at 600 mg daily rapidly achieved substantial improvements, which was conjectured to arise through a HPA-axis reset. The study says:

However, in a clinical trial of mifepristone for Gulf War illness, there was no improvement, apart from some improvements in verbal learning. But GWI may be different to ME/CFS: GWI is associated with mitochondrial damage, and we don't know if such damage exists in ME/CFS.

8. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    pattismith likes this.
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

10. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Great. If that's your only problem....not sure it will fix immune system problems, though.

The GWI people seemed to have high cortisol, not low, right?

And, how would this fix someone with low cholesterol, low pregnenolone, low cortisol, low DHEA, low testosterone, low estrogen, and low thyroid?

11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Mifepristone is thought to be a HPA-axis resetter, not a universal panacea.

12. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Agreed.

13. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Anyone know where to get it? I'm going to try it, and I'll create a thread to report the affects, from an HPA-axis dysfunction standpoint.

14. Hip

Hip Senior Member

See here.

15. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Women may be able to get mifepristone at Planned Parenthood in the US for free if their insurance covers it. Not sure if they would offer only one pill or several. A man with a female partner, friend, or family member might be able to arrange this as well

16. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    In the UK it appears mifepristone is available through the FPA. Other countries likely have similar programs

17. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    I wonder if an “HPA reset” would affect other things besides cortisol (such as ADH).

Dr Klimas mentions that all of the GWI mouse model labs and testing returned to normal after taking mifepristone

This study indicates it does increase ADH (vasopressin) in primates

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  18. Ember

Ember Senior Member

That was a study of chronic multisymptom illness, which also includes CFS.

Hip likes this.
  19. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

@drob31 good luck. Ill be following closely

20. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    confused why anyone would want to block progesterone, i thought progesterone helped with the toxic effects of estrogen

Learner1 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.