• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

microsilica--powerful chelator

pemone

The following is an edited post I did on this thread (Lead toxicity and DMSA). It's a thread that contains warnings about doing major "detox". The word detox can sound relatively benign, but initiating major detox is not even close to being benign. It's is a MAJOR undertaking, fraught with many known and unknown dangers.

If you haven't studied this subject for MANY hours, then you should probably hold off on doing this until you've done your homework. Failing to do so has the potential to dramatically (negatively) affect your health in a major way for the rest of your life (not to be overly melodramatic). If you're at all considering doing major detox, you may want to first read this heartbreaking story of a very healthy woman who literally became an invalid from following advice to undertake a "detox" regimine without proper preparation: Robin's Report

I agree with this 100%.

First step should be to have a testing methodology to understand where (and if!) you are toxic. If it is mercury, Quicksilver Mercury Tri-Test shows your baseline, and repeating that over course of treatment establishes whether you are making progress or not.

My current thinking (not in agreement with Cutler) is that second step should be to support natural detox with binders in the gut, like the Quicksilver IMD Powder. This allows you to maximize natural disposal.

Once you establish some natural flow out of body, then it's a decision you make with your doctor about whether you want to add another chelator. I have some lead, so I'm guessing I am going to be stuck with DMSA for that. I have severe neurological involvement, so I guess eventually that will mean ALA. But the sane way to attempt these things is very low doses, at the half life of the chelator, for short periods of time (three days in Cutler's method).

Taking large doses of chelators at irregular spacing - and especially doing this intravenously - is a one way ticket to getting EXTREMELY ill.

I agree with this 100%.

First step should be to have a testing methodology to understand where (and if!) you are toxic. If it is mercury, Quicksilver Mercury Tri-Test shows your baseline, and repeating that over course of treatment establishes whether you are making progress or not.

My current thinking (not in agreement with Cutler) is that second step should be to support natural detox with binders in the gut, like the Quicksilver IMD Powder. This allows you to maximize natural disposal.

Once you establish some natural flow out of body, then it's a decision you make with your doctor about whether you want to add another chelator. I have some lead, so I'm guessing I am going to be stuck with DMSA for that. I have severe neurological involvement, so I guess eventually that will mean ALA. But the sane way to attempt these things is very low doses, at the half life of the chelator, for short periods of time (three days in Cutler's method).

Taking large doses of chelators at irregular spacing - and especially doing this intravenously - is a one way ticket to getting EXTREMELY ill.
Poor amalgam removal (no separate oxygen supply) is how I backslid into CFS in the last 18 months.

Are you using the IMD? Is it helping? Would it not bind to minerals and take them out similar to other chelators? Thanks for this info btw.

I am doing liver flushes and am greatly interested in this product.

Are you saying that 95% of what gets chelated on the Cutler protocol recycles back through the bile. The inefficiency of that alone makes me cringe.

Also, another pathway to remove mercury is FIR sauna via sweat. I am experimenting with this. It has been verified in studies and measured in sweat created in this type of sauna, along with other metals. The FDNY from 9/11 used the FIR sauna along with supps to detox and it really helped them recover.

Also, would you say the L-Carnitine Fumerate would weakly bind to mercury and move it around the body similar the ACL. From what I understand the LCF does not cross the BBB.

TropicalKid

pemone

Poor amalgam removal (no separate oxygen supply) is how I backslid into CFS in the last 18 months.

Are you using the IMD? Is it helping? Would it not bind to minerals and take them out similar to other chelators? Thanks for this info btw.

It might bind some minerals yes. I think you cycle on IMD for some number of days and then go off to give yourself a chance to recover mineral balance.

Are you saying that 95% of what gets chelated on the Cutler protocol recycles back through the bile. The inefficiency of that alone makes me cringe.

No, much of the chelator (DMSA, DMPS, or ALA) goes out through the kidneys. The part that goes to the liver and comes out in the gut as bile is what IMD binds. It is the bile that gets largely reabsorbed in the gut.

Also, another pathway to remove mercury is FIR sauna via sweat. I am experimenting with this. It has been verified in studies and measured in sweat created in this type of sauna, along with other metals. The FDNY from 9/11 used the FIR sauna along with supps to detox and it really helped them recover.

I doubt it removes very much heavy metals. Remember these may be deep in your tissues, and no amount of sauna is going to make you extract mercury in your brain.

Also, would you say the L-Carnitine Fumerate would weakly bind to mercury and move it around the body similar the ACL. From what I understand the LCF does not cross the BBB.

I believe Cutler when he says:

1) The only chelators worth pursuing for chelation are TWO thiol chelators, and that is a very short list. ALA is the only one I know of that will cross the blood brain barrier and go deep intracellular.

2) The only safe way to use a chelator is at a very low dose, taken once every half life of the drug, in order to maintain a constant level of the chelator for the N days in your chelation cycle.

Taking anything that has a single thiol occasionally is the road to misery. Very little comes out of you, and lots of material gets shifted to different tissues and resettles and causes symptoms.

It might bind some minerals yes. I think you cycle on IMD for some number of days and then go off to give yourself a chance to recover mineral balance.

No, much of the chelator (DMSA, DMPS, or ALA) goes out through the kidneys. The part that goes to the liver and comes out in the gut as bile is what IMD binds. It is the bile that gets largely reabsorbed in the gut.

I doubt it removes very much heavy metals. Remember these may be deep in your tissues, and no amount of sauna is going to make you extract mercury in your brain.

I believe Cutler when he says:

1) The only chelators worth pursuing for chelation are TWO thiol chelators, and that is a very short list. ALA is the only one I know of that will cross the blood brain barrier and go deep intracellular.

2) The only safe way to use a chelator is at a very low dose, taken once every half life of the drug, in order to maintain a constant level of the chelator for the N days in your chelation cycle.

Taking anything that has a single thiol occasionally is the road to misery. Very little comes out of you, and lots of material gets shifted to different tissues and resettles and causes symptoms.
Hi @pemone

Thanks so very much for the reply. I got one of those little digital meters you recommended from Amazon but not sure how to interpret the reading. Is there a resource I should look at for this?

My reading was 3733 if that means anything. I do struggle quite a bit with mineral balances and I think if I can get this handled, many of my symptoms will dissipate. My main symptom right now seems to be post exertional malaise, I am doing better in other areas and I don't have the PEM every day, but when I do, it just stops most productive work, which of course drives me crazy.

Regarding the LCF question, I wouldn't take it to chelate, my concern is that it would chelate as it is part of the deadlock quartet that I am following per Freddd's active b12 protocol.

I highly encourage you to look into the book "Clear Body Clear Mind" by the ever controversial L.Ron Hubbard who pioneered the use of FIR saunas decades ago. The Purification Rundown was used to detoxify the 9/11 firefighters as I mentioned who were exposed to all sorts of metals, asbestos, PCBs and most likely other things we've never heard of. There is a famous pic of one holding up a blue stained towel after a sauna session, I would presume mercury or other heavy metal. The use of Niacin in escalating dosages is primarily the catalyst for removing what is believed to be toxins, drugs, pesticides, metals, etc. via the pores.

My objective is to continue this type of treatment, modified of course for my energy and mineral levels, and then to move onto the Cutler dosing of ALA for removing mercury from the brain. That's my plan and what I am doing now, besides liver flushing which is a fascinating pursuit in and of itself.

TropicalKid

pemone

Hi @pemone

Thanks so very much for the reply. I got one of those little digital meters you recommended from Amazon but not sure how to interpret the reading. Is there a resource I should look at for this?

My reading was 3733 if that means anything. I do struggle quite a bit with mineral balances and I think if I can get this handled, many of my symptoms will dissipate. My main symptom right now seems to be post exertional malaise, I am doing better in other areas and I don't have the PEM every day, but when I do, it just stops most productive work, which of course drives me crazy.

If you are talking about a conductivity meter, I believe the target range is 4000 to 5000 so you are close. <4000 means you are a bit too dilute and need more electrolytes. >5000 means you need more water.

Remember, this is not reading blood serum, where the actual electrolyte balances should be measured. Many would probably say measuring these things in urine is worthless. I go with the idea that it *might* have value, insofar as the output from kidney reflects the shortages or excesses it found in blood.

I don't see much harm in taking 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarb and 1/4 teaspoon of potassium bicarb to try to give yourself some electrolytes. The bicarb may treat acidosis. Make sure to never take this with food: together one hour before a meal or two hours after. With a meal it will fight stomach acid needed to digest food.

Regarding the LCF question, I wouldn't take it to chelate, my concern is that it would chelate as it is part of the deadlock quartet that I am following per Freddd's active b12 protocol.

I highly encourage you to look into the book "Clear Body Clear Mind" by the ever controversial L.Ron Hubbard who pioneered the use of FIR saunas decades ago. The Purification Rundown was used to detoxify the 9/11 firefighters as I mentioned who were exposed to all sorts of metals, asbestos, PCBs and most likely other things we've never heard of. There is a famous pic of one holding up a blue stained towel after a sauna session, I would presume mercury or other heavy metal. The use of Niacin in escalating dosages is primarily the catalyst for removing what is believed to be toxins, drugs, pesticides, metals, etc. via the pores.

My objective is to continue this type of treatment, modified of course for my energy and mineral levels, and then to move onto the Cutler dosing of ALA for removing mercury from the brain. That's my plan and what I am doing now, besides liver flushing which is a fascinating pursuit in and of itself.

No one will like me for saying it, but recently an allopath made me go off the 40 or so supplements my osteopaths had me taking, and my condition improved in every way, quickly. I had been diagnosed with "pyluria" and was drinking six liters of water a day. That resolved in a week and now I drink three. I had strange sensations and brain fog throughout the day, and most of that went away. I had extremely elevated adrenalin, which was making my heart beat in strange patterns throughout the day. That calmed down too.

I still have CFS, and I still get intense brain fog and post exertional malaise if I exercise too extremely.

I plan to start testing supplements and try to identify which ones were causing these symptoms, but going forward I'm going to impose extremely tough requirements on supplements. I want some metabolites measured before and after supplementation that prove I had a problem in reality and that the supplement actually made that problem better. I think CFS makes some people very ill, and the hundred+ supplements they eat every day make many of them even sicker.

If you are talking about a conductivity meter, I believe the target range is 4000 to 5000 so you are close. <4000 means you are a bit too dilute and need more electrolytes. >5000 means you need more water.

Remember, this is not reading blood serum, where the actual electrolyte balances should be measured. Many would probably say measuring these things in urine is worthless. I go with the idea that it *might* have value, insofar as the output from kidney reflects the shortages or excesses it found in blood.

I don't see much harm in taking 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarb and 1/4 teaspoon of potassium bicarb to try to give yourself some electrolytes. The bicarb may treat acidosis. Make sure to never take this with food: together one hour before a meal or two hours after. With a meal it will fight stomach acid needed to digest food.

No one will like me for saying it, but recently an allopath made me go off the 40 or so supplements my osteopaths had me taking, and my condition improved in every way, quickly. I had been diagnosed with "pyluria" and was drinking six liters of water a day. That resolved in a week and now I drink three. I had strange sensations and brain fog throughout the day, and most of that went away. I had extremely elevated adrenalin, which was making my heart beat in strange patterns throughout the day. That calmed down too.

I still have CFS, and I still get intense brain fog and post exertional malaise if I exercise too extremely.

I plan to start testing supplements and try to identify which ones were causing these symptoms, but going forward I'm going to impose extremely tough requirements on supplements. I want some metabolites measured before and after supplementation that prove I had a problem in reality and that the supplement actually made that problem better. I think CFS makes some people very ill, and the hundred+ supplements they eat every day make many of them even sicker.
@pemone
I certainly wouldn't fault you for going off supps. I hate them too, and only recently went back on them to try to resolve methylation. You have to take so many of them to support it.

They make me brain fogged, but I know I was low in things before going back on them. CFS just sucks like that, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.

Thanks for the info on the conductivity meter. I'm sure it has some merit. I will try the bicarb, it just seems like I'm always trying to digest something!

I envy you going off the supps. I am going to start ALA tomorrow I think, so no going off them for me:)

TropicalKid

pemone

I envy you going off the supps. I am going to start ALA tomorrow I think, so no going off them for me:)

You are on Cutler's protocol? What is your starting dose and how many days will you chelate?

Did you chelate a few months with DMSA first to clear the blood before trying ALA?

Have you done any blood or urine measurements on mercury? How long ago and what were those?

My own plan is to do DMSA until I get blood and urine readings for mercury that are low, then I'll do ALA+DMSA, all low dose. I'm a little concerned about chelating good minerals (Cu, Zn) too.

You are on Cutler's protocol? What is your starting dose and how many days will you chelate?

Did you chelate a few months with DMSA first to clear the blood before trying ALA?

Have you done any blood or urine measurements on mercury? How long ago and what were those?

My own plan is to do DMSA until I get blood and urine readings for mercury that are low, then I'll do ALA+DMSA, all low dose. I'm a little concerned about chelating good minerals (Cu, Zn) too.
I spoke too soon regarding the ALA @pemone but I am going to start Cutler very shortly, I will probably start with 12.5mg every 3 hours, of course.

I haven't done the blood and urine test, I know that Shade uses them. Cutler mainly goes off of hair analysis, which I had done last summer. I knew I wasn't strong enough to start chelating then, so I put it on the back burner for when I felt I could handle it.

After doing 11 liver flushes, and loads of colonics, I finally feel ready. Freddd's active b12 protocol is another cog in my wheel also.

The final straw for me was being able to tolerate the FIR sauna. With that in place, I am moving forward, with trepidation of course. I understand that mercury chelation can take you down hill before up hill at times. Not looking forward to that.

The hard part is my hair tests don't show any toxicity. But, my decline is easy to trace to when I had my last amalgam removed in July 2013. I was very healthy then and I had a two week episode following the removal where I couldn't function or do anything and my brain felt like it was melting.

Since that was almost 2 years ago, I don't think I would have anymore mercury in my blood. I am hesitant to take the DMSA as it can kick up yeast and I have fought long and hard to restore my gut over the last year. Maybe this is naive of me, but this is my plan as of today. It could change.

I am also considering contacting Dr. Pompa to help guide me, not sure if that is the right direction either. But I am anxious to get better so I need to move forward with something here and soon.

TropicalKid

pemone

I spoke too soon regarding the ALA @pemone but I am going to start Cutler very shortly, I will probably start with 12.5mg every 3 hours, of course.

I haven't done the blood and urine test, I know that Shade uses them. Cutler mainly goes off of hair analysis, which I had done last summer. I knew I wasn't strong enough to start chelating then, so I put it on the back burner for when I felt I could handle it.

After doing 11 liver flushes, and loads of colonics, I finally feel ready. Freddd's active b12 protocol is another cog in my wheel also.

The final straw for me was being able to tolerate the FIR sauna. With that in place, I am moving forward, with trepidation of course. I understand that mercury chelation can take you down hill before up hill at times. Not looking forward to that.

The hard part is my hair tests don't show any toxicity. But, my decline is easy to trace to when I had my last amalgam removed in July 2013. I was very healthy then and I had a two week episode following the removal where I couldn't function or do anything and my brain felt like it was melting.

Since that was almost 2 years ago, I don't think I would have anymore mercury in my blood. I am hesitant to take the DMSA as it can kick up yeast and I have fought long and hard to restore my gut over the last year. Maybe this is naive of me, but this is my plan as of today. It could change.

I am also considering contacting Dr. Pompa to help guide me, not sure if that is the right direction either. But I am anxious to get better so I need to move forward with something here and soon.

I have heard that about DMSA and yeast as well. What's the reason for DMSA promoting yeast?

Regarding urine and blood measurement of mercury, can't you get your doctor to get those tested under insurance?

What if your blood level of mercury is 13 parts per billion (which we can test) and your brain level is 5 parts per billion (which we cannot test)? All ALA is going to do in that case is move more mercury into your brain. Do you then go on Cutler for six months, get worse symptoms, and then abandon Cutler because it "didn't work"?

I realize Cutler himself thinks testing is not necessary. I don't see any harm in making sure your blood and urine excretion is low before you open up a window to a sensitive organ like your brain. Chelation is not a risk-free procedure. My attitude is do it right or do not do it at all. But that's just me.

I have heard that about DMSA and yeast as well. What's the reason for DMSA promoting yeast?

Regarding urine and blood measurement of mercury, can't you get your doctor to get those tested under insurance?

What if your blood level of mercury is 13 parts per billion (which we can test) and your brain level is 5 parts per billion (which we cannot test)? All ALA is going to do in that case is move more mercury into your brain. Do you then go on Cutler for six months, get worse symptoms, and then abandon Cutler because it "didn't work"?

I realize Cutler himself thinks testing is not necessary. I don't see any harm in making sure your blood and urine excretion is low before you open up a window to a sensitive organ like your brain. Chelation is not a risk-free procedure. My attitude is do it right or do not do it at all. But that's just me.
You are giving me some good advice @pemone and I am going to take it! Thank you:)

I will get my blood tested and urine before proceeding. I didn't think of it the way you laid it out, but you are absolutely right. I don't want to follow anyone blindly based on their opinion (Cutler), I've been through too much already and certainly don't want to make myself worse!

I'm looking into why DMSA kicks up yeast. That is my question also. If we know why, perhaps we can head it off and don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'll report back what I find, and please do the same, I appreciate your input:)

TropicalKid

student

Yes, to a final straw … @Tropialkid: How do you want your sauna. What to expect? It all comes to your heater system, that is in use. Yes, you feel
"able to tolerate the FIR sauna. With that in place, I am moving forward …"

Keramic heaters can not do the same job. The very special superficial scin warming and its superiority were discussed in detail in a German Forum – symptome.ch. ( Solocarbon FIR panel heater is so often not at hand. I am sorry.) To my understanding the Carbon panel heaters radiat diffrent. Why not dare to think: – Some of you could change the heater panels. Any deaper warming up - in the medical terms I do not want. It would be very likely that this could be proven as less effektiv in the detoxing. (Is there a slipping - of good quality knoledge here?)- while all this hipe for the medical sauna is still at hand.

With your Sauna please do not neglect: a good scin scrub after. Plus some body realax (appart from - extra Mineral suport).

student with hugh and love.

--------------
Do not take these words as advice. I am not in medical profession. Always check with your doktor.
(Far infrared –FIR sauna)

pemone

TropicalKid

My impression on Dr Pompa is he took Andrew Cutlers protocol without giving him credit for it. Pompa is a great marketer and gets his name out there. He charges around $15k.

You know that Dr Pompa is not a medical doctor? The D.PSc or PSc.D designation following the practitioners name means PMA licensed. This is not a degree. This is a license given by the Pastoral Medical Association, which is "an ecclesiastical (spiritually based) private membership of health care practitioners from all areas of health care, counseling and ministry that have joined in private membership with families seeking safe, Bible-based health and wellness solutions."

Last edited:

MAF14

I have amalgams but have yet to be tested for heavy metals. Is it the NutrEval that is recommended around here for lead/mercury? I couldnt find the Tri-Test online and was under the impression that standard blood/urine were'nt really trusted...

I do need to get tested but in the mean time I wanted to consider just taking binders to latch onto whatever may be floating around in the blood. What are you thoughts on Bentonite clay for that? Or are there other better ones?

pemone

I have amalgams but have yet to be tested for heavy metals. Is it the NutrEval that is recommended around here for lead/mercury? I couldnt find the Tri-Test online and was under the impression that standard blood/urine were'nt really trusted...

I do need to get tested but in the mean time I wanted to consider just taking binders to latch onto whatever may be floating around in the blood. What are you thoughts on Bentonite clay for that? Or are there other better ones?

Tri-Test is at
https://www.quicksilverscientific.com/testing

I don't think I would start binders until after that test. Depending on your state Quicksilver can give you initial interpretation of your test result. This is an area where many practitioners will give you unnecessary treatments. So read widely and be able to say no.