Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Microbiomes of human throat may be linked to schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Aug 25, 2015.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    More on schizophrenia here. EFAs useful:

natasa778 and IreneF like this.
  3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

This is also super interesting, may be relevant for some ME folks with these symptoms?

Amino Acid Offers Hope of Relieving Milder Symptoms Of Schizophrenia

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Link?

Sidereal likes this.
  5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

alex3619 likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

From http://textbookofbacteriology.net/lactics.html -

So there is more lactate and ethanol being produced close to the brain. This opens up additional lines of investigation if its validated.

It also makes me wonder if there might be a link via lactic acid between ME and schizophrenia. We can have too much lactate, though much of the evidence so far is that it is made by our own body. However its not established that we might have too much ethanol, and that would be a gut thing if it happens.

8. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The link to the actual study is here: https://peerj.com/articles/1140/

I also have a question for the experts: what does this paragraph mean in plain English?

natasa778 likes this.
  9. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Not established as in no one looked yet, or some did but couldn't find much?

Probably a long shot but one thing that springs to mind here is that many ME patients do not/cannot drink alcohol

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The alcohol hypothesis was kind of indirectly popular in the 90s, but I forget most of it. Screening for blood alcohol is very common as well. However if the issue is rather low levels of alcohol, over many years, rather than what we see from drinking it, then the cumulative effect would be very hard to pick up with even a moderate sized cohort. The size of the cohort may have to be massive, and nobody has done that.

I think this would be more about location of the alcohol than total quantity. What is it doing to the vasculature, nervous system, and immune system? Local concentrations might be too high, but averaged out over the body, and detoxed by the liver, you might find almost nothing or completely nothing.

natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.