Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Microbiome of Parkinson's Disease Patients Differs From Healthy Controls

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Wally, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Microbiome of Parkinson's Disease Patients Differs From Healthy Controls
    To read more about this finding click on this link - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141211081120.htm

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

There seems to be a red line from gut dysbiosis to neuroinflammation in many disorders, probably including ME/CFS.

More reason to support the Microbiome Discovery Project

3. Wally

Wally Senior Member

@adreno,
    Here is an article that you might be interested in reading that gives some insight into why researchers may be having difficulty in getting government funding in the U.S. to support microbiome projects. See, "Microbiome research goes without a home" at http://www.nature.com/news/microbiome-research-goes-without-a-home-1.13470

rosie26, Sasha, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Senior Member

5. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Perhaps the differences in bacteria in the intestines of patients is caused by medication and has no causation.

Marco likes this.
  6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I hope the microbiome project will look at the consistency of the gut tissue and possibly the genetic make up

7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Potentially. I haven't looked, but obviously if they were on medications then that could have potentially altered gut flora. Depends on the drug absorption, and what the drugs do, but I suspect we don't know much about how different drugs impact gut flora at the moment. Hopefully the study considered these issues and ideally picked people that havent been on medications yet, or tried to measure the potential impact of different medications.

The apparent correlation between Enterobacteriaceae and disease severity suggests this could be a valuable insight into the disease though, regardless of whether medications effects on gut flora have been considered yet or not.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.