• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Microbiologist/infectiologist doctor talks about CFS on TV show

Boule de feu

IF you can understand FRENCH:
French Canadian TV health show - Dr Karl Weiss on RDI-sant (Radio-Canada Health show).

There are a few things that he said that bothers me:
1. Inflammation not related to CFS.
2. Life expectancy not shortened.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/rdi/sante/2010/8.shtml

Go down to the Aug. 20 show. Click on the blue arrow to start the show. Once the ad is over, click on the 6th button (right arrow). The second part of the show (16:51) should start.

Let me know what you think.

Sunshine

I guess it depens how Dr Karl Weiss views CFS.

CFS contains many illnesses and neuro disease within its label, including mental illneses and practically any reason for 'chronic fatigue' due to the CDC reclassification of it over the years.

If doctors think (wrongly) most people with CFS are mentally ill, then they would think there is no inflammation or health risk in CFS. As we know neuro immune disease sufferers with the name 'CFS', do have inflammation and higher incidence of deaths from suicide, heart failure and rare cancers.

So sad that someone medically qualified is either ignorant about this, or in denial it happens. Probably the former.

Boule de feu

I guess it depens how Dr Karl Weiss views CFS.

CFS contains many illnesses and neuro disease within its label, including mental illneses and practically any reason for 'chronic fatigue' due to the CDC reclassification of it over the years.

If doctors think (wrongly) most people with CFS are mentally ill, then they would think there is no inflammation or health risk in CFS. As we know neuro immune disease sufferers with the name 'CFS', do have inflammation and higher incidence of deaths from suicide, heart failure and rare cancers.

So sad that someone medically qualified is either ignorant about this, or in denial it happens. Probably the former.

No, I believe he specifically said that he was seeing few psychiatric cases. It would happen sometimes but not very often. He said that for a long long time infectiologists (I don't know if he was talking about his department or in general) thought that CFS had an "infectious" etiology. He talked about the viral cause being a pretty strong possibility. I thought he had a pretty good idea of what CFS is.

When asked what type of symptoms a CFS sufferer has, he said it would take two more shows like this one to go through the list. I believe he understands how much we suffer. He also explained that all cases are different - some have cognitive problems, others deal with a lot of depression (but not all CFSers), etc.

In general, I was pretty happy with what he said since it is the second French show on the subject (I believe the first one took place 4 or 5 years ago). I was hoping they would recognize ME/CFS as a real disease... and, it's done! :victory:

Overall, I believe this interview was positive and it was a step in the right direction. It did help our cause.