The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Microbes maketh man

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Aug 31, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

I have just posted this on autism-genome thread, but thought it deserved a thread of its own... What is most delightful here imo is that this came out in a mainstream mag

http://www.economist.com/node/21560559

Microbes maketh man

People are not just people. They are an awful lot of microbes, too

“…The other field that may be changed is genetics. Many of the diseases in which the microbiome is implicated seem to run in families. In some, such as heart disease, that is partly explained by known human genes. In a lot, though, most notably autism, the genetic link is obscure. This may be because geneticists have been looking at the wrong set of genes—the 23,000 rather than the 3m. For those 3m are still inherited. They are largely picked up from your mother during the messy process of birth. Though no clear example is yet known, it is possible that particular disease-inducing strains are being passed down the generations in this way…​

… Though less reliably so than the genes in egg and sperm, microbiomes,​
    too, can be inherited. Many bugs are picked up directly from the mother​
    at birth. Others arrive shortly afterwards from the immediate​
    environment. It is possible, therefore, that apparently genetic diseases
    whose causative genes cannot be located really are heritable, but that
    the genes which cause them are bacterial.”​
    “​
    (but they are forgetting to add ‘or viral’ at the end :) )

Little Bluestem likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi natasha778, I asked this question of several leading ME researchers some years ago. There wasn't much interest, though one had done some electon microscopy study of mitochondria looking for direct viral invasion. The entire genome we share, as a human ecology, also includes worms and mites and fungi. Its complicated. Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.