1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Michelle Akers' story (PWC) to feature in ESPN series

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

[I know many people with ME/CFS have mixed feelings about Michelle Akers as a PWC representative as most people would simply have had to give up a competitive, non-paced sport like soccer].

http://realitytvwebsite.com/RealityTVNews/ESPN-s-E-60-Returns-April-13-with-Five-New-Episodes.html

2. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I do not think we have enough evidence to judge whether someone else has CFS, to question their diagnosis.

I don't understand how Cher is able to do her shows with that big headdress in Los Vegas.

I think it would be unfair for someone to see me on a good day and determine I don't have a real illness. We already have doctors doing that. Let's not do that to each other.

We don't know all the circumstances.

Tina
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It is not about questioning her diagnosis (in terms of my own personal doubts of her as a public face of CFS - others may be different) but I don't think it is that representative of the illness. Also, whatever about doing a bit of paced exercise, I don't think people with CFS should try to play competitive soccer - I think it just leads to relapses.
  4. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I would agree with you that a woman playing soccer may not represent what it is like for most of the people living with CFS. Of course, in 2007, I had a good day. I climbed up three flights of stairs and slid down a large slide. Someone got a photo of me.

Of course, I could only do it once. And a week later, I was in the bed for three days.

Any famous bedridden CFS patients willing to step up to the plate? Laura Hillenbrand, best we can do. She did what she could while her book and the movie were big. But there wasn't any filming. She did interviews through phone. So we still had no visual. Even her pictures did not reflect the real illness. She just described it. Even the people who show up at the CFSAC do not represent what many with this illness deal with. I was glad to see that young woman send her video where she could barely talk. Now if only we could get someone famous to do that in front of the camera.

Maybe we need a movie to be made, with actors portraying us sick people. Been done for other illnesses. Remember "Awakenings".

Tina
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, agree more severe would be great.

But even celebrities struggling to work would be ok.

Working full-time can in some circumstances not have too bad an effect on your health if you are at the "top end" of CFS. But I don't really think playing soccer is a suitable thing for pretty much anyone with CFS to be doing. I got up to cycling six miles or swimming 1000m every two days and kept it up for a year as well as college, giving some grinds, etc. But even during the vacation (i.e. no college or grinds) I wouldn't have been able for the sprinting, etc involved in playing soccer. I would make me too ill and my muscles too sore/strained.

That's not to say Michelle Akers didn't have CFS - but playing on probably didn't help her health. Very different situation of course for her as that is what her career is.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.