• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mfolate + Mb12/hydb12 giving me intense diarrheas

When I use super b12 alone (half hydcbl - half mcbl) I start to feel bad in 3 days: shortned breath, “internal” pain (like a pain in the spinal nerve, it’s weird). The same effects occur when I use JUST ONE tablet of Source Naturals Men's Life Force (when I use it, the effects are much more intense and painful). Composition: 1, 2.

Ok, few days ago I started to do some experiments with folate. I used 400mcg mfolate (quatrefolic) + ½ dropper of super b12 (0.5mg hydcbl + 0.5mg methylcbl) and felt nothing. Then 4 hours later I used 100mg Niacin and wow. My breath increased a lot. No flush, only tickles in the hand. My physical resistance really improved, more mental clarity and a great improvement in my breath. No more nocturne hypoglycemia, I got very good nights of restful sleep. The effects lasted 4 days then I used 400mcg mfolate + ½ dropper of superb12 and… the good effects appeared without niacin. I was enjoying, then did the same thing 2 days later and this gave me a diarrhea, but not intense, just 1 trip to the bath and some strange 'scratches' in my gut. 1 day later used mfolate and b12 again, but this time 1 entire dropper of b12 (2mg) and wow. 4 hours later I started to shake, felt very weak, and the next day things worsened. I was like a mummy, almost fainting when walking, intense nausea. The next day intense diarrhea started and lasted for 3 days! Abdominal pain, like something was ‘scratching’ all my gut. Total lack of motivation and appetite. Seems b12 is dictating the rules. I used 50mg niacin between these days, but I don't think this is the culprit.

I read some topics, Freddd says what I think is detox in the reality is folate/potassium deficiency or methyl trap. I don’t think it is methyl trap because I used b12. My stools are yellowish, I read this happens when one is deficient in folate (it assists in bile production that darkens the stools). I just can’t undertand:

Why small doses of methyl folate may cause mfolate deficiency? How can mfolate reduce more my folate levels? This scares me, if I use small doses and feel awful, why higher doses won’t give me worst symptons? I don’t think I can tolarate higher doses… this is gonna kill me, this intense diarrhea dehydrated me a lot! Higher doses may give me much powerful diarrheas. I need to titrate, but before I increase my dose I’m sure I’ll have diarrhea cause I’ll be using mb12 and mfolate in a sequence of days. I also can’t undertand why diarrhea would occur if I’m potassium deficient, this would let me more deficient. Sorry for noobish questions.

note: in my daily basis I don't eat gluten and dairy, but a few grains. I don't have gut problems.

I read some topics, Freddd says what I think is detox in the reality is folate/potassium deficiency or methyl trap. I don’t think it is methyl trap because I used b12. My stools are yellowish, I read this happens when one is deficient in folate (it assists in bile production that darkens the stools)..

You say you have used b12 in conjuction with folate but have you used potassium as mentioned? At least 1 g a day? This is very interesting you have yellow stools, I too myself have a yellow stools for long time, but have never heard of folate deficiency being connected to it. Where did you read it?

I too myself I'm somewhat stuck with protocl. I don't know 100% if I have mtfhr but will know soon. Have you considered testing 23andme?

How's your back pain, do you have any?

You say you have used b12 in conjuction with folate but have you used potassium as mentioned? At least 1 g a day? This is very interesting you have yellow stools, I too myself have a yellow stools for long time, but have never heard of folate deficiency being connected to it. Where did you read it?

I too myself I'm somewhat stuck with protocl. I don't know 100% if I have mtfhr but will know soon. Have you considered testing 23andme?

How's your back pain, do you have any?

I haven't used potassium, this is a mistake. Is there an relation between diarrhea and potassium deficiency?
The amount of bile in your stools affect the color. I don't know exactly if folate deficiency is directly related to it, I'm sorry I can't give you the precise information, although folate is related to bile flow . I've noted (as this guy), my feces were much darker at the first time I used mfolate + b12.
I haven't back pain.

Diarrhea is a detox reaction (or possibly an allergic reaction?). Do you have diarrhea otherwise?
Diarrhea is rare for me, it occurs just when I'm really sick (bacterial infection). Maybe it's a real detox reaction, cause my liver started to really function. Although, Freddd doesn't approve this idea. The idea of folate deficiency caused by my use of mfolate scares me.