• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylmate B and metafolin?

Are methylmate B from the SMP and metafolin from the active protocol essentially the same chemical? Are they equally reduced forms of folate?

What are the pros and cons of each if they differ? Does anyone prefer one over the other?

I'm not a fan of the methylmate drops as it's hard to tell if you have dropped 1 or 2 drops in your mouth - or is this just me?

Thanks.

maddietod

I put the drops into a small spoon after I realized I was going through the bottles at almost double speed.

Thanks Madietodd, I'll do that - great idea! Not such a good idea with the hydroxyb12 though i'm guessing... its such fragile stuff isn't it?

richvank

Hi, harrycat.

Yes, MethylMate B, Metafolin, FolaPro, and Deplin all contain 5L-methyltetrahydrofolate as the active ingredient. There are other products on the market, usually called "5-MTHF" that are half the 5L form and half the inactive 5R form. These two forms are called "enantiomers." They have differing "chirality," which means that their molecules have the same chemical formula, but some of the atoms in the inactive form are arranged in sort of a mirror image of their arrangement in the active form. This is called a "racemic mixture." It is less expensive to produce a racemic mixture than the pure active form. This is also true of folinic acid. There is now a folinic acid product that contains only the active form, but the commonly sold folinic acid is a racemic mixture. This is the same situation as in alpha lipoic acid. There is now R-lipoic acid, which contains only the active form, but costs more.

Sorry about the problem with the drops. I switched to drops in the most recent revision of the protocol, because I thought it would be more convenient than having to split tablets. Also, Amy Yasko's site claims that the drops are less expensive than FolaPro, but I understand that Metafolin is cheaper than FolaPro, too. I think that any of the 5L products should be fine. All except the MethylMate B are made by Merck. The 5L-methylTHF in MethylMate B is made by Gnosis.

Hydroxocobalamin is fairly stable, chemically. Methylcobalamin is the form that is very sensitive to light, and can break down to form hydroxocobalamin.

Best regards,

Rich

drex13

Hi Rich,
I read your recent comments about folic acid / folinic acid / methylfolate competing for absorption in the gut in one of the other threads ( I can't find it now so I'm posting here). Is the gut the only place where this competition takes place ? If so, then couldn't/wouldn't this issue be avoided or side stepped by using the MethylMate B drops sublingually, provided the drops are indeed sublingual and the molecule is small enough to be absorbed sublingually ? Or if someone developed a sublingual Methylfolate tablet ? Thanks, Drex

richvank

Hi Rich,
I read your recent comments about folic acid / folinic acid / methylfolate competing for absorption in the gut in one of the other threads ( I can't find it now so I'm posting here). Is the gut the only place where this competition takes place ? If so, then couldn't/wouldn't this issue be avoided or side stepped by using the MethylMate B drops sublingually, provided the drops are indeed sublingual and the molecule is small enough to be absorbed sublingually ? Or if someone developed a sublingual Methylfolate tablet ? Thanks, Drex

Hi, Drex.

As I understand it, there is also competition for absorption of the folates from the blood into the cells.

Rich