• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate timing + depression

bigmillz

Since around 11/1, I've been having random bouts of depression and anxiety - something I haven't experienced in a long time to this degree. I'm trying to narrow it down, and I feel that my changes to methylfolate may be related. Here's what I've changed over the past 1.5 months or so:
  1. Lowered mFolate from 6mg (3 doses of 2mg) to 2mg in the morning, because I seemed to have more energy after a few days at the lower dose
  2. Lowered molybdenum from 1mg to .25mg to avoid copper depletion
  3. Dropped TMG - it was making me irritable
  4. Reintroduced mFolate a few times in single doses of 6mg-10mg to see if there was any impact - any differences could've been placebo
So it's either the change of seasons (winter ruins me, but usually not until Feb/March) & life in general (which has been pretty great lately), or something above.

My questions now:
  1. What do you think the likely suspect is?
  2. If I reintroduce 6mg of mFolate, do I need to spread it through the day? If I take it all at once, will it "wear off?" I tried taking 6mg
  3. Any other guidance?
I'm a little hesitant to reintroduce 6mg of mFolate spread throughout the day because I've enjoyed the extra energy from taking less. I'm also hesitant to go back to TMG because of the (slight) irritability. Plus, my tests of adding more mFolate here and there have been wildly inconsistent, sometimes turning things right around, with an extra dose, yet sometimes my best days have been with just 1mg of mFolate.

Thanks everyone.

Eastman

I know someone who also experiences random bouts of depression and anxiety. Her methylfolate dosage has been constant at 15 mg, so I doubt it is related to it.

Maybe it's the season, like you say. Have you been getting less sun than usual at this time of the year?

bigmillz

I know someone who also experiences random bouts of depression and anxiety. Her methylfolate dosage has been constant at 15 mg, so I doubt it is related to it.

Maybe it's the season, like you say. Have you been getting less sun than usual at this time of the year?

I just wonder sometimes with Deplin being prescribed for this sort of thing.

Definitely a bit less sun, unfortunately. And regardless of sun, the winter months always get to me. But it's 50 degrees and sunny out o_O