Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylfolate Lowering Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by shannah, Jan 6, 2015.

1. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Anyone else notice methylfolate lowers your blood pressure? The more I increase, the lower my blood pressure goes.

2. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    No, but personally, that's nice to know. Mine has been too high for 3-4 years. How much has yours dropped?

minkeygirl likes this.
  3. shannah

shannah Senior Member

My bp has been creeping up the last few years as well. Before starting methylfolate a few weeks ago, my bp would often be around 135/82 just with being mostly bedbound. Whenever I went to the doctor's, he would say it was over 150 but it's always extremely hard on me to go out.

Within 2 weeks of 800 mcg once a day (except for a 3 day period roughly in the middle of that time frame where I increased to 800 mcg 3 x day), bp was 104/64. I increased to 4 doses yesterday and bp this morning was 98/50 so I haven't taken any methylfolate today.

So in my case, methylfolate has a dramatic and quick effect on blood pressure.

Gondwanaland and Sushi like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Methylfolate increases nitric oxide production in the vascular endothelium and that causes the lowered blood pressure. Other things that increase nitric oxide production are citrulline, arginine, beet root, spinach. I'm taking a beet root supplement and amla (indian gooseberry), both of which increase nitric oxide, and I've been able to reduce my blood pressure meds by half. Now after reading your post I want to increase methylfolate!

Here are some other natural sources of nitric oxide:
    http://anabolicmen.com/boost-nitric-oxide-naturally/

Gondwanaland, Countrygirl and ahmo like this.
  5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @CFS_for_19_years I've been struggling to understand the nitric oxide cycle, Martin Pall's NO/ONOO- formulation. He lists Mfolate and several of the other things on the list to increase peroxynitrite scavenging and decrease NO. I am very confused.:confused:

6. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Oh OK, I don't understand the nitric oxide cycle either. Maybe someone else has a better understanding of methylfolate than me and how it all works.

I just read that methylfolate and MethylB12 both increase nitric oxide, among other things.

7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

there's every chance my understanding is mis-understanding. Wouldn't be the first time.:rolleyes:

8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

shannah likes this.
  9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Sorry @ahmo , but one can also have too much NO :ill:, and I don't have a link to that right now :bang-head:

Edit: it's right there in the link posted, just scroll down to the latest comments...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Don't be Sorry!!! My task at present is to UNDERSTAND this!!!:nerd::bang-head: Heading off to your link now.:thumbsup:

...aha, same article as linked above. No wonder I'm confused. :confused: From the comments:

11. sillysocks84

sillysocks84 Senior Member

@shannah I realize this post is older but I was hoping you could answer some questions. Do you still take methylfolate to control bp? Is it something that can be done indefinitely? If not, how are you dealing with your bp these days?

@dannybex are you doing anything recently to control yours?

@CFS_for_19_years what is your protocol to maintain bp?

Thanks, I hope everyone doesn't mind reopening this thread.

shannah likes this.
  12. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Mine still fluctuates -- always higher at the doc's office, lower at home (the 'white coat' syndrome). It doesn't seem to be affected by methylfolate.

I'm just starting to increase my niacin (to lower triglycerides, etc.) so am hoping that will help with BP issues.

13. shannah

shannah Senior Member

@sillysocks84 I'm still doing the methylation protocol. I notice that when I miss a couple of dosages of either the methylfolate or the potassium, my blood pressure and heart rate goes up again.

14. sillysocks84

I was hoping the high bp in this could be caused and treated the same way. I hope the niacin will work for you and you can report good things soon!

dannybex likes this.
  15. sillysocks84

Very interesting. I started this disease with low bp. How high does yours get and how well does methylation seem to control it? Thanks for taking time to answer.

16. sillysocks84

I also wanted to ask if anyone has considered the NO pathway? It seems some have seen remissions from their symptoms by focusing on it. I will try to provide a link below.

17. sillysocks84

18. vortex

vortex Senior Member

My blood pressure has been doing the opposite, it keeps goi g up and up and I am not sure what to do, if I stop taking the methylfolate I crash, but if I take it my pressure goes up. I do have triple bhmt homo snps including bhmt-8 I wonder if that is causing it, too much bypass or shortcut. I tried to take dmg to slow it down or clog it up, but had some bad reactions to it. Not sure what else to do

19. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

What is your BP when you're not taking folate and how higher does it go when you take it?

See more popular forum discussions.