• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate: Held in the mouth...

dannybex

Weird question, but I can't find this addressed, or if it has been, it's lost in the dozens of pages on methylation/b12/folate -- but when one takes methylfolate (Metafolin), have people been holding it in their mouth (under the tongue or near the gums) like the b12's, or just swallowing it like other supps?

Secondly, if you've tried both ways, have you noticed a difference?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Dan

L'engle

moogle
Hi,

I've been dissolving them with the b12s. I imagine is dissolves better but I havne't really swallowed them since the first day.

determined

I've only done it one way and that is to crush both the methylfolate and the mB12, dissolve them in water and "drink them." Early on I did try to put the small amount of liquid under my tonue but my bottom teeth got very sore and I stopped that.

Freddd

I've only done it one way and that is to crush both the methylfolate and the mB12, dissolve them in water and "drink them." Early on I did try to put the small amount of liquid under my tonue but my bottom teeth got very sore and I stopped that.

Hi Determined,

I hope you know that you lose about 95% of the mb12 that you would absorb if you put it under your upper lip. However since absorption by swallowing of the Metafolin is over 50% there is little to be gained doing it any other way. Perhaps you need to try the Enzymatic Therapy B12Infusion methylb12.

determined

Hi Fredd, thanks for the advice. But right now I'm really stunned by the effects of the miniscule amounts I'm absorbing (of either the methylfolate or the mB12). I'm not sure I want to go any faster. But I'm following this part of the forum, so I will try to keep updated on things and make changes when I feel sure of what's going on....

: )

L'engle

moogle
Hi Determined,

I hope you know that you lose about 95% of the mb12 that you would absorb if you put it under your upper lip. However since absorption by swallowing of the Metafolin is over 50% there is little to be gained doing it any other way. Perhaps you need to try the Enzymatic Therapy B12Infusion methylb12.

So the metafolin is absorbed as easily through swallowing. Do you know why this absorbs so differently than the B12? Thanks.

Freddd

So the metafolin is absorbed as easily through swallowing. Do you know why this absorbs so differently than the B12? Thanks.

Hi L'engle,

The various forms of cobalamin are large molecules, about 1300+ to 1500+ molecular weight. There is an active absorption system for cobalamins involving TC1 (Trans Cobalamin 1) in saliva that bonds to cobalamins converting it to HTC1 (holo trans cobalamin 1) and more is released by acids in digesting animal proteins. These are attached to IF (Intrinsic Factor, formerly "an intrinsic factor must be present") for transport through the walls of the small intestine and handed off to TC2 which becomes HTC2. This method absorbs almost 100% of the first 10mcg falling off rapidly from there. Another 1% (10mcg per 1mg) is absorbed via diffusion. This lead to the fear factor style treatment for pernicious anemia before b12 was discovered of 2 liters per day of raw liver puree. Most choose to die rather than take that cure.

We also have an active folate absorption system that isn't subject to all the problems the b12 active absorption system is plagued by. It also has a limited capacity, perhaps a few mgs max at a time, but we rarely take large enough doses to reach it's limit. However, that is why a relatively small amount of folic/folinic acid can block a whole lot more Metafolin. Timing on that makes a difference but it is a lot easier to just not take any folic/folinic acid. Also, folate isn't protein bound having to be released by high potency stomach acid before being absorbed. It is water soluble and comes out easily, in cooking water for instance.

drex13

Has anyone else experienced abdominal cramping/ digestive issues when trying Metafolin ? I can't seem to get past this. I have gone down to 200mcgs, but I get some nasty cramps. I have similar issues with Mb12.