• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methylfolate and methylcobalamin at same time ?

daniariete2000

Hi,

I would like to ask if methylfolate and methylcobalamin have to be taken at same time (or close time) or it's not important when you choose to take them during the day

Thanks

Daniele

ahmo

Good idea to take close to each other. Here's something from Freddd. My understanding when he refers to 'one tablet' is B12.

Most do best with methylfolate several times a day because of it's relatively short halflife. It needs to be taken at different times form the potassium. So again, folate with 1 tablet each 4 hours might work better than 5 at once in the morning. Like potassium, I have gone into folate insufficiency 6 hours after a barely adequate dose. Take the folate first and wait for 45 minutes for potassium

daniariete2000

Found this answer of Fredd...so I ask : if Fredd write "methylfolate orally reaching a serum peak in an hour and sublingual b12 that is absorbed noticeably in 5 minutes"....is not better to take sublingual b12 after 1 hour of methylfolate when it reach its serum peak ?

Thanks

important to supply methylcobalamin first before methylfolate to prevent methyl trapping

There is no need at all except maybe the very first dose of sublingual b12 only. And as I take methylfolate orally reaching a serum peak in an hour and sublingual b12 that is absorbed noticeably in 5 minutes when I was deficient or 30 minutes in the CNS there really isn't a problem. I have found that having the methylfolate on board while absorbing most of the b12 vastly increases the serum halflife. When in partial methylation block via folic acid b12 excretion via urine is very rapid. When in methyltrap, it is much much much faster. When in full methylfolate sufficiency serum half life is far longer then with folic acid. This is visible in the urine if one is taking large enough doses.

Methylfolate is best absorbed on an empty stomach or sublingually

I've never tried it sublingually. I take it on an empty stomach to avoid potassium and vitamin C which hinder it, and it is absorbed well.. It is said to be very well absorbed orally with food. I take my first dose of folate on empty stomach in morning with pre-meal supplements (LCF, SAM-e, DHEA, Pregnenolone and my meds). Then my first dose of AdoCbl/MeCbl after my first cup of coffee. Then I eat near noon my first meal. The methylfolate substantially increases retention of MeCbl in some way for some reason. In the evening I eat, wait two hours, take folate and then evening dose of b12, then an hour or more later potassium at bedtime.

I take a full assortment of vitamins except folate and b12 at each of 2 meals.

Somewhere in the afternoon I take a dose of methylfolate and then an hour or so later, potassium.

This works for me.

I'm finding that the first MeCbl-AdoCbl (10mg and 10mg, 5 star, 100mg MeCbl 3-4 star for 1-2 hours retention) an hour after SAM-e and LCF gets the neurological healing going, which is often not pleasant as it can cause irritation and anger if certain areas are damaged. I've been through several cycles of this.

I don't always get the timing perfect due to living a life and having other things to do. I just do the best I can.