• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylcolbalamin and Adensylcobalamin at Same Time?

xks201

Taking these 2 b12 derivatives at the same time would cause competitive inhibition, would it not? I would think they would possibly compete for the same receptor making taking both at the same time useless.

PeterPositive

Where did you find evidence that they cause "competitive inhibition"?
As far as I understand it, they don't.

If you take any other form of non-active B12s such as Cyano-B12 or Hydroxy-B12 you will transform them into their active forms (unless there are methylation or enzymatic problems), so there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, and they would still compete. Only you're adding them directly instead of producing them from the inactive forms.

From what I have learned here and from other sources taking both forms of active B12 should be the best idea to refill your B12 tank, so to speak :)

Also, most of the active B complexes I have used did have both forms.

alex3619

Competitive inhibition in this case is not really an issue. Yes, they might compete sometimes, but these have slightly different functions. Further, if they compete then a molecule is saved to work somewhere else. When the body permits competitive inhibit, and by permit I mean its evolved to not prevent it, then its often a good thing.

xks201

I didn't say I had proof they did compete I was just asking if anyone knew if they did or not.