Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylcolbalamin and Adensylcobalamin at Same Time?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by xks201, May 16, 2014.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Taking these 2 b12 derivatives at the same time would cause competitive inhibition, would it not? I would think they would possibly compete for the same receptor making taking both at the same time useless.

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Where did you find evidence that they cause "competitive inhibition"?
    As far as I understand it, they don't.

If you take any other form of non-active B12s such as Cyano-B12 or Hydroxy-B12 you will transform them into their active forms (unless there are methylation or enzymatic problems), so there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, and they would still compete. Only you're adding them directly instead of producing them from the inactive forms.

From what I have learned here and from other sources taking both forms of active B12 should be the best idea to refill your B12 tank, so to speak :)

Also, most of the active B complexes I have used did have both forms.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Competitive inhibition in this case is not really an issue. Yes, they might compete sometimes, but these have slightly different functions. Further, if they compete then a molecule is saved to work somewhere else. When the body permits competitive inhibit, and by permit I mean its evolved to not prevent it, then its often a good thing.

4. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

I didn't say I had proof they did compete I was just asking if anyone knew if they did or not.

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I would actually call them complementary and not competitive. Methylcobalamin is required for methylation, and adenosylcobalamin helps the mitochondria and thus energy - something we can all use more of.

See more popular forum discussions.