• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylcobalamin (or other B12) and hunger

Plum

Is anyone else really hungry being on their B12? I know bodybuilders use it to increase hunger. I think it's the B12 that is making me hungry - it's insane!

Lotus97

Somehow I remember another thread talking about this and some people being hungry and some people having less of an appetite. It's possible that increased appetite is a sign of an improvement in health. Just don't go running to McDonalds:angel::devil:

Freddd

Is anyone else really hungry being on their B12? I know bodybuilders use it to increase hunger. I think it's the B12 that is making me hungry - it's insane!

Hi Plum,

I had decades of nausea from deficiency. Then at one point after taking MeCbl at least I started getting very hungry. That has come and gone several times. I gained 35 pounds after loosing a lot of water. B12 deficiencies are unusual in that they are the only vitamin deficiency which causes a nutrient specific anorexia, to foods containing b12, animal products. Quite a few have experienced hunger as they heal.

Plum

Not me. I would be curious what your TSH value is. If it is 2.0 or greater then your thyroid is what is really makiing you hungry as that is hypothyroid. http://www.lef.org/protocols/appendix/blood_testing_02.htm
It's 1.9! I am only hungry on days I take methylB12 so I'm pretty sure it's that. But I do understand your point about the thyroid which probably explains why I generally have a good appetite - and no it's not for MacDonalds!

Plum

Hi Plum,

I had decades of nausea from deficiency. Then at one point after taking MeCbl at least I started getting very hungry. That has come and gone several times. I gained 35 pounds after loosing a lot of water. B12 deficiencies are unusual in that they are the only vitamin deficiency which causes a nutrient specific anorexia, to foods containing b12, animal products. Quite a few have experienced hunger as they heal.
Thanks again Fredd. Your comment has posed some questions for me. How does B12 deficiency cause nausea? I ask because my whole life I had nausea every morning which I got rid of 3 years ago by taking liver detox herbs. And I have to take them daily otherwise the nausea comes back.
You say you lost a lot of water - I'm assuming you peed a lot?
I am also curious to learn more about nutrient specific anorexia for B12 - can you point me in the right direction?

I hope I don't gain a lot of weight as I am already fat from years of metabolic syndrome and not balancing blood sugar correctly but eating too much carb. Something I now have fairly good control over but haven't lost much weight!

Freddd

Thanks again Fredd. Your comment has posed some questions for me. How does B12 deficiency cause nausea? I ask because my whole life I had nausea every morning which I got rid of 3 years ago by taking liver detox herbs. And I have to take them daily otherwise the nausea comes back.
You say you lost a lot of water - I'm assuming you peed a lot?
I am also curious to learn more about nutrient specific anorexia for B12 - can you point me in the right direction?

I hope I don't gain a lot of weight as I am already fat from years of metabolic syndrome and not balancing blood sugar correctly but eating too much carb. Something I now have fairly good control over but haven't lost much weight!

Hi Plum,

I kept loosing muscle mass and gaining watery fat. I was a floater in the water all my life, not possible to sink. Now if I exhale I sink in a pool. lost 85 pound of water and 45 pounds of fat after getting all the right nutrients going. Suddenly the water started pouring out at more than 1 pound a day. I was skin and bones underneath it. My stomach was blown up and hard like a basketball. I also put on a lot of muscle during that period of loosing water. I had nausea much of the time and vomited just about every morning and just sometimes when I coughed prior to MeCbl. I had Compazine suppositories. I had often more than one acid regurgitation during the night. B12 deficiency can cause inflammation and lesions from lips to anus and everything in between.

The nutrient specific anorexia is mentioned in passing in the literature. It is easily seen. There are people who come to find meat, fish, eggs and even dairy unpalatable. It often spreads to hardly being able to eat or tolerate most foods. For me the nausea large went away with the first dose of MeCbl. I never used another Compazine suppository. I have never again had nighttime regurgitation.

My Weight balanced right out. It took coming up with a winning combo two separate times to loose most of the excess. It had to do with the exact right set of nutrients and turning on healing. One toime it was starting LCF on top of everything else. Second time was when I got Metafolin up high enough to turn healing on again.

Plum

Hi Plum,

I kept loosing muscle mass and gaining watery fat. I was a floater in the water all my life, not possible to sink. Now if I exhale I sink in a pool. lost 85 pound of water and 45 pounds of fat after getting all the right nutrients going. Suddenly the water started pouring out at more than 1 pound a day. I was skin and bones underneath it. My stomach was blown up and hard like a basketball. I also put on a lot of muscle during that period of loosing water. I had nausea much of the time and vomited just about every morning and just sometimes when I coughed prior to MeCbl. I had Compazine suppositories. I had often more than one acid regurgitation during the night. B12 deficiency can cause inflammation and lesions from lips to anus and everything in between.

The nutrient specific anorexia is mentioned in passing in the literature. It is easily seen. There are people who come to find meat, fish, eggs and even dairy unpalatable. It often spreads to hardly being able to eat or tolerate most foods. For me the nausea large went away with the first dose of MeCbl. I never used another Compazine suppository. I have never again had nighttime regurgitation.

My Weight balanced right out. It took coming up with a winning combo two separate times to loose most of the excess. It had to do with the exact right set of nutrients and turning on healing. One toime it was starting LCF on top of everything else. Second time was when I got Metafolin up high enough to turn healing on again.
That is amazing stuff and makes a lot of sense. B12 deficiency causes so many problems. I have never eaten red meat and find the smell disgusting (I wish I could stomach it as I know it would be good for me). White meat is only ok if it's covered in herbs and onions. So what you say makes a lot of sense. Can I ask - what were the right set of nutrients for you?