• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methylb12 makes me very sleepy

SwanRonson

I've been experimenting with methylb12 alone. Every few days I'll take a 1/4 of an ENZY in the morning with breakfast (hold against gums for about 45 minutes) and just see how it makes me feel. I think my reaction is best described this way:

Within 1 hour after taking: A "buzzy" kind of mental brightening. My head actually feels "cool" as if a "cool" breeze is reaching it for the first time in a while. I know that sounds very odd. Some parts of it are nice. Other's not so much. I wouldn't call it necessarily enjoyable.

About 2 hours after taking: I start to get very sleepy. I could seriously crawl up in a corner and take a nap right here in my office.

4-6 hours after taking: Things settle down and I feel a better, more tolerable sense of being. This feeling can sometimes last the rest of the day.

That pattern is very constistent in the absence of other supplements. Any theories or ideas as to why? I like to take supplements in low doses individually these days so I can understand how they make me feel one by one before combining with other things.

PeterPositive

Increased melatonin production?
B12 should do that. Plus B12 can have a calming effect on the nervous system. It's used for anxiety, insomnia etc...

Maybe a bit of methylfolate along the B12 could help keeping you awake. B9 is not supposed to make you sleepy.

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland posted that she was getting sleepy from B-vitamins click here
That is different.

At MB12 startup I had increased melatonin production as @PeterPositive said. Right now (and in the thread you linked) it just makes me foggy, sleepy, more like running out of ATP. My husband feels foggy from the B complex as well.

OTOH I have been applying MB12 on DH's inflammed ulnar nerve and he has been feeling immediate pain relief, while I feel muscle weakness, heavy limbs and drag my feet to walk. Next time I will wear a surgical glove before the MB12 rub.

PeterPositive

Methyl-B12 did the contrary for me. At the beginning I was struggling with extra anxiety and wired-ness... with time (quite a lot of it) and higher doses, it no longer bothers me and it helps with the sleep. Go figure... so many variables.

SwanRonson

Interesting about the melatonin production. Perhaps that's it. I'm a little wary of taking it at bed time though. It does make me sleepy but not sure what kind of sleep it would be. Might be pretty rough.