• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation test results: advice needed & welcomed

helen1

Posted this over in Tests and diagnostics but figured I'd post them here too.
Just got these sad results from health diagnostics and research institute and wonder what to do about them. Any advice most welcome.

oxidized glutathione 0.54 0.16 - 0.50
reduced glutathione 3.2 3.8 - 5.5

s-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) 220 221- 256
s-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH) 53.6 38 - 49

5 CH3 tetrahydrafolate 10.7 8.4 - 72
10 formyl tetrahydrafolate 5.9 1.5 - 8.2
5 formyl tetrahydrafolate 2.0 1.2 - 11.7
tetrahydrafolate 0.49 0.5 - 6.8
folic acid 9.3 8.9 - 24
folinic acid (whole blood) 8.0 9 - 35
active folate (RBC) 327 400 - 1500

adenosine 22.9 16.8 - 21.4

I don't understand how I have any folic acid as I haven't eaten any enriched wheat products in over a year and no wheat at all for 4 months or more. Very few grains too except for the occasional brown rice or quinoa. Does it hang around for months?

I eat a lot of folinic rich veggies plus I was taking folinic acid for several months before the test, so don't understand that low score.

Not sure about the significance of the different folates (except folic acid and folinic acid). I have read Rich's explanation, but am looking for advice specific to my results.

I've been on a combo SMP/freddd for about a year, including methylfolate titrated up to 400 mcg for 6 months. Also adB12 1500 mcg, mB12 1000 mcg. Plus all the cofactors.

Looks like I need a lot more methylfolate. Just started supplementing with SAMe.
Any other ideas?
Anyone have success improving their glutathione for a sustained period of time?
Anyone know the significance of a high adenosine level?
Thanks in advance.

daniariete2000

Rich wrote that SAMe/SAH have to be > 4,5...yours is 4.1 that means partial block of methilation cycle.

Anyone knows if Rich said somewhere if there is also a maximun limit range of ratio SAMe/SAH to understand if you are going to overmethylate ?

Thanks

caledonia

Yeah, those are sad results. The oxidized glutathione is high, while the reduced glutathione is low. So for some reason you're not getting to your goal.

Assuming you're taking the right forms of B12 which are actually being absorbed, I'm thinking there could still be some co-factors missing. For example, folate, B12 and magnesium are required to make SAMe. I don't think magnesium is in Freddd's or Rich's program. For another example, you need NAD to convert oxidized glutathione to reduced glutathione. I don't think either one of those is on Rich's or Freddd's protocols either.

Another suggestion would be to get a Nutreval test, and then supplement with everything that comes up low or borderline low. The Nutreval is very comprehensive functional test and can show if there are problems with the gut, metals, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and so forth, and my favorite section, the Kreb's cycle. I have a link in my signature for the cheapest place to buy it.

I'm still experimenting with this, but another thing you could try is to stop everything you're taking and start over with the Yasko All in One multi and some B12. Use my Start Low and Go Slow document to figure out the amounts. The Yasko multi has all kinds of co-factors, and is supposed to be tolerated by all SNP types. I'm getting metal detox and reduction in MCS from this combo, so I know it's working.

I'm also doing other supports for electrolytes/adrenals, CBS and Kreb's, but that's the core of it.

helen1

Thanks @daniariete2000. Yes, it sure looks like I have a partial block of the methylation cycle.

@caledonia, thanks for those ideas. I do take magnesium malate and /or citrate and have recently added NADH (5 mg). Do you know if that's the same as NAD? And I do take adenosylB12 + methylB12.

I've had about 3 weeks of significant improvement in my energy level by changing when I take carnitine fumarate (30+ mins before breakfast) and also adding an extra 200-600 mcg mfolate in the afternoon when I get fatigued. I still get tired in the evening so am trying to figure out how to extend the symptom-free hours I've been enjoying - from morning until about 5-6 pm, which has been great by the way.:)

and still trying to figure out what causes my other main symptom, twitchy legs at night and insomnia. And how to stop it when it happens. A lot of extra magnesium usually works to stop the twitches but not always. GABA helped for a while, but now seems to cause insomnia, the reverse of what it was doing at first.

And with all the extra magn I worry about unbalancing my electrolytes. It seems that if I eat no protein in the evening, I don't get twitchy legs, although last week I ate nothing at all one night and had bad twitching. Can it be glutamates if I didn't eat anything? Any other ideas?

The nutreval looks similar to the organic acids test, which I've had done several times. Nutreval does look better though with the fatty acids profile and toxic elements which organic acids doesn't include. Very expensive. I love your interpretation guide, thanks for putting that together. I used it to interpret my organic acids test.