• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation report - feel a bit lost

Hello.

I am very new to this. The reason I got my DNA checked is because I've been dealing with some serious fatigue for couple of years now and I am still in graduate school where being fatigued is strongly affecting my performance.

I run my DNA though Genetic Genie and NutraHacker. Since then, I was trying to make some sense out of it. Overall I thought that I would benefit from Methyl B12 but NutraHacker is telling me to avoid it; it's also telling me to avoid curcumin which I've been taking daily for couple months now. I hear curcumin helps get rid of ammonia and whenever I do prolonged cardio, my sweat smells strongly like ammonia.

I would appreciate any help deciphering my methylation report and whether I should take methyl B12 and curcumin, or any other supplement I should look into.

Here's link to my report: http://imgur.com/a/Bm9Qo

homozygous mutations:

VDR Taq AA
MAO A R297R T
MTRR A66G
CBS C699T AA

heterozygous mutations:

COMT V158M AG
COMT H62H CT
MTHFR A1298C GT
MTR A2756G

Thanks.

Cheesus

If methyl b12 doesn't make you feel jittery, which I think is the risk with taking methylated supplements when you have COMT and maybe MTRR (?) mutations, then it should be fine.

On paper I would theoretically feel very jittery with methyl b12 because I have two homozygous COMT mutations, but the reality is I do fine on it.

If you can't handle methyl b12 you could always try adb12 (adenosylcobalamin).

Let your body be your guide. If a supplement is helping then don't stop just because a few of your genes suggest they shouldn't.

alicec

I run my DNA though Genetic Genie and NutraHacker

Genetic Genie is very limited, basically looking at SNPs that Yasko is interested in. Most of these do nothing and are no cause for concern. A few do have some effect but they are common variants - millions of people have them. At best some combinations may make a contribution to health issues, they certainly don't cause them.

Nutrahacker is not a reliable source of information.

The claim that people with COMT variants don't tolerate methyl donors is simply Yasko's theory. There is no evidence for it and many people who are COMT +/+ (including myself) have no trouble with them. If you do well on methylB12 and curcumin, keep taking them.

Here is a post which lists some useful resources for analysing SNPs.

Of the SNPs you mention, the ones that have some small slowing effect are the MTRR/MTR, the first COMT and the MTHFR. Supplementation with, respectively, methylB12, magnesium and methyl folate may be helpful.