• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation questions…

LisaGoddard

I’ve recently increased my methylation up to following: 7.2 mg methylfolate and 70 mg of methylcobalamin (sublingual) daily divided up into three doses.

Is this the right kind of folate to B12 ratio?

Are my B12 levels too high?

Should I divide them into more than 3 doses?

Why does B12 successfully treat my anxiety disorder and my knee pain? It is better than any antidepressant and painkiller – and I’ve tried a few!

Note I also take one adenosylB12 daily and all the other cofactors that Freddd suggests except Sam-e which I couldn’t tolerate. No injections.

Thanks for your advice!

Kathevans

@LisaGoddard Yikes! :eek: I've never seen anyone taking 70 mg of methylcobalamin before. How are you feeling?? How much reading have you done of the Freddd Protocol? The ratio of B12 to Folate is entirely dependent on your body, your genetic snps and so on...

good luck.

LisaGoddard

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. I did wonder if it was too high. What kind of levels do most people take on Freddd's?

Kathevans

@LisaGoddard This is totally dependent on your body, and what you've done to lay the groundwork. Some people do well on very little 2-5mg/day; others settle in around 15-20, while Freddd says that to ultimately bathe the cerebrospinal fluid in MeB12, it takes a 50mg challenge.

As for myself, I'm working out a B2 deficiency. Many who've done this have discovered they needed roughly half of what they needed prior. I only ever took as much as 7,000mcg MeB12 to about 1600-2000mcg of folate. I seem to feel best at a ratio of 4-5:1.

If you aren't having any symptoms from all this B12, I'm a little gobsmacked! Further, I thought it was the folate that dealt specifically with depression. I do know the prescription Deplin at 7.5 and 15mg is specifically for depression.

LisaGoddard

Yes, I'm a bit worried about the B12. I do occasionally get some 'zinging' in my head which is a sign I've taken too much B12. But no other symptoms. I wonder though what the symptoms are as I may be missing the signs.

LisaGoddard

I've been rereading Freddd's protocol and he suggests 50-60mg of B12. But I always figured that this was in addition to the injectable B12 that he also describes. Maybe I'll start another thread asking people what the max dose is that they have taken.

Meanwhile I've been trying to cut down the B12s. Thanks for your comments, Kathevans.

Kathevans

I've been rereading Freddd's protocol and he suggests 50-60mg of B12.
Does he actually recommend that amount, or simply say that you ought to ramp up 200-400mcg at a time, every day or two, first with one, then the other, that is folate and MeB12. And with each ramp up, it important to be aware of the cofactors and how much potassium your body may require at each level.

This post has the whole thing, though I don't know with how many updates (though they do appear somewhere here). I've had many conversations on this thread, particularly on the last pages.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/

LisaGoddard

I'm going sit down and read through Freddd's thread carefully.
Thanks for responding to my thread!