Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation protocol for dummies please

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by mattie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. mattie

mattie

Netherlands
    The title of this thread may be contradictory. The subject is complicated. At least I think it is. But many of the forum members talk about lifting methylation blocks as if they were exchanging some cookie-dough recipe. Are you all Einsteins? Or biochemists?

In the last 2 years I have been reading a lot on this forum and elsewhere about the various methylation protocols.
    Because of the many positive reports I have tried different recommendations. Without results or any reaction at all unfortunately.

But frankly the more I read about this subject the more confused I get. There are so many conflicting theories and protocols and revised protocols and addendums out there. It is impossible to know where to start for newbies.
    And if you delve in to all the underlying biochemistry, genetic mutations, etc. It all gets extremely complicated and it is just way over my head.

Yes you can just point me to one of the many threads that are already there. Believe me I have read them all. And because of reading them all it is impossible to make a well informed choice. There is just too much contradiction.

Can anybody recommend what protocol to try, based upon the latest insights.
    What kind of B12, what form, what brand, how much. same for Folate. If nothing happens, what should be added?
    Or do I need to have tests done before this can be answered?
    Can this be done under medical supervision? Perhaps over the internet? (I am homebound).

Or what would be a reasonable relatively safe protocol to start with?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    rodgergrummidge likes this.
  2. wonderoushope

wonderoushope Senior Member

I feel ya! I would like to understand the basics myself and find it rather overwhelming. So will keep a lookout for updates on this thread. I wish there was a sticky just giving an overall outline of what methylation is all about, but not having 10+ pages of replies (as it's very time consuming to sift through it all).

mattie likes this.
  3. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    I feel the same thing.

4. PinkPanda

PinkPanda Senior Member

This is a picture of the methionine cycle. The methionine cycle produces SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine), which is used for synthesis of alpha lipoic acid, choline, Q10, carnitine, etc.
    You can have mutations that reduce the activity of enzymes like MTHFR, MS and MSR. When MTHFR functions too low, this reduces the production of 5MTHF/Methylfolate. Methionine Synthase Reductase (MSR) produces methylB12 from hydroxoB12 and a mutation might reduce this reaction.

The idea of the methylation protocol is, if you have a mutation that reduces production of methylfolate/ methylB12, you take methylfoalte and methylB12 supplements to compensate for this metabolic weakness.
    That is the idea, but whether the approach is right for ME/CFS in not proven. Whether taking methylation supplements, is the right way to compensate for these mutations is not sure.
    This is where you are confronted with a lot of personal experience and different theories.

Some people seem to experience improvement on methylation protocol, a number of people also react badly.
    I think you definitely have to be careful with taking methylB12, methylfolate, especially in high doses. Even in the short time I am on this forum, I have encountered a number of threads by people ending in the ER after taking methylation supplements with symptoms like anxiety, panic, racing heartbeat, nerve symptoms, ..

Another personal experience:
    My approach is to supplement cofactors for enzymes like MTHFR and MSR, like hydroxoB12 and riboflavin. Reactions to these supplements differ individually again though, not everyone tolerates these supplements well. In case you are interested, I wrote more on the role of cofactors in mutated enzymes here.

That's a bit offensive :meh:

Edit: I don't think that having an MTHFR mutation necessarily concludes having to take folate. Folate as a vitamin might still be important because of other reasons, if you have folate deficiency,..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.