• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Protocol Diary

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Try to lower the dose 200 mcg each and you might feel probably much better and able to tolerate all the other supplements as well. I had similar issues: wired, pain, irritable, ... and they disappeared completely when I lowered to 200 mcg daily and my condition is slowly improving.
I keep 2000 mcg of hydroxycobalamin and try to add methylcobalamin once a while. AdenosylB12 makes me freak out completely o_O

In case you didn't know:
Nitric Oxide depletes vit B12.
Thiamine (B1) can eliminate lactic acid.
If you are not able to tolerate additives (sulphur), consider molybdenum.
Glutamine is advised when you have to much ammonia.
All these toxins raise when your methylation is not working properly.

Thanks for this info, Marlene. I don't take any methyl folate or folinic for now. But I will keep in this in mind when I start taking it. I've been slowly increasing my B12 (over the past 3 years) from a crumb to about 1000 mcg. That's been a LONG road. Like you, I also take HB12 and MB12, but have not tolerated the AdB12.

I take glutamine every night before bed (2-3 grams) with a probiotic. It really helps my gut.

I haven't tried the molybdenum yet. I bought it because Yasko recommends it for CBS, but I have only the minor CBSA360A snp, and seem to be doing okay without molybdenum for now.

I'm going to get my blood drawn for the HDRI test this week, and am eager to see what the results will be like. It took them a longgggg time to send me the kit.

ONE QUESTION for you: Which B Complex do you take?

Thanks again, for your input on this.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Well, this holiday season has been the first time in over a decade that I have been able to get away with light-moderate amounts of alcohol without feeling terrible for 1-3 days afterwards. So nice to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner and not feel sick the rest of the night. Didn't always work, but there were a few days that almost felt normal. The only treatment I am doing right now is continuing with the methylation protocol, so I have to assume it is somehow helping my detoxification abilities.

I have switched to 800mcg of mb12 every day (sublingual), decreased MTHF and folinic acid, and increased NAC to 1500mg/day.

Hi erist--This was great to hear. I'm glad you having such good results with your protocol.

NAC has been very helpful for me too. When I take it, my urine sulfate drops down to 200, the lowest reading. SO I think in my case the NAC is being converted to glutathione. It helps me enormously whenever I have a toxic overload.

Well I finally got my SNPs back from 23andme. Would love any help interpreting these. Maybe I should be trying more adeno and hydroxo then the methyl? I am in a bit of a crash the past 2-3 weeks. Both POTS and fatigue acting up :(
You have 1 heterozygous (yellow) mutation(s). These are generally not as bad as red homozygous mutation, but they may still worth paying attention to. They include:
  • MTHFR A1298C
Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
  • VDR Taq
  • MAO-A R297R
  • MTRR A66G
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
  • COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-04
  • BHMT-08
  • CBS C699T
  • CBS A360A
  • SHMT1 C1420T