• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation panel: to diagnose block or to tailor treatment?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've been asking on another thread about how to get the methylation panel because I thought that people were getting advice based on their results about how to tailor their supplements according to their specific problems. It just occurred to me that I might have misunderstood this and that the purpose of getting the test is simply to establish whether one has a partial methylation block and should just go on the standard protocol and then try to adjust it by trial and error.

I'm already convinced I've got a partial methylation block problem because when I started Fred's protocol, I immediately got an energy surge (within half a minute) from ab12 which was sustained for several days; plus I had reproducible start-up symptoms (weird sensations and twitching in my face and sacro-iliac joints) and then a huge need for potassium and then extreme exhaustion and muscle soreness as what was presumably some sort of induced deficiency got beyond my ability to deal with. Fred has said that if you don't have b12 deficiencies you don't get any symptoms and I certainly had a load.

So, do I actually need to do the methylation panel? I've been on Rich's SMP now for 10 weeks with no apparent effects (good or bad) and am thinking that if I need to tailor it, should I be getting the panel done to guide me? But would it?

Unless you have loads of cash I probably wouldn't bother - it can tell you if b12 or folate is the more limiting factor ... But if you are sure you have the block it's probably not that helpful. It gave me confidence that I needed to address this area but not much more.

I'd have the amino acid plasma and organic acid test (urine) instead which gives loads of info including indirectly b12/folate status.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Harry - I think it's clear from my response to Fred's protocol that I've got methylation problems so if all the panel does is diagnose that, it's not worth me having.

Do the amino acid plasma & organic acid test yield info that guides treatment? I'm assuming my b12/folate status must be poor anyway.

Hi Sasha. Yes it does. Rich kindly interpreted mine. They give information on amino acid levels, essential vit and mineral status, krebs cycle function, sulphur metabolism, and more. Stuff can be inferred about b12 and folate too. The upshot for me was I needed more vit a, e, magnesium, vit b2 and b3. Also general amino acid supplement, methionine, digestive enzymes and betaine hcl. Probably some other stuff i have forgotten! I also had a digestive function test done (stool sample) at the same time.

Freddd

I've been asking on another thread about how to get the methylation panel because I thought that people were getting advice based on their results about how to tailor their supplements according to their specific problems. It just occurred to me that I might have misunderstood this and that the purpose of getting the test is simply to establish whether one has a partial methylation block and should just go on the standard protocol and then try to adjust it by trial and error.

I'm already convinced I've got a partial methylation block problem because when I started Fred's protocol, I immediately got an energy surge (within half a minute) from ab12 which was sustained for several days; plus I had reproducible start-up symptoms (weird sensations and twitching in my face and sacro-iliac joints) and then a huge need for potassium and then extreme exhaustion and muscle soreness as what was presumably some sort of induced deficiency got beyond my ability to deal with. Fred has said that if you don't have b12 deficiencies you don't get any symptoms and I certainly had a load.

So, do I actually need to do the methylation panel? I've been on Rich's SMP now for 10 weeks with no apparent effects (good or bad) and am thinking that if I need to tailor it, should I be getting the panel done to guide me? But would it?

Hi Sasha,

I immediately got an energy surge (within half a minute) from ab12

Adb12 doesn't do methylation and isn't connected with it. The energy surge with adb12 is very fundamental, it is ATP generation in the mithochondria.

On the other hand if you take mb12 then you will feel neurology startup and methylation startup as methylb12 os a methyl donor and generates SAM-e as the body's "universal methyl donor". However, some adb12 will convert to mb12 but not instantly. Adb12 is not a methyl donor. It competes for methy groups and is an uphill energy conversion to methylb12. There is a lag time. There is some crossover in both direction but most find that they have separate primary reactions to both. As with other forms of cobalamin, about 99% of a dose is excreted by the next day, some a little faster than others, but just as inevitably.

And you are correct. I had a lot of people sample mb12 and adb12, separately and together. Both together increased total response about 10% for those with symptoms. For those without symptoms it had all the effects of a pleasent flavored candy. I trialed about 1000 people this way. Sitiing around in a group the people with no symptoms wondered if those having huge reactions were making it up or something. Those with big response found it almost unbeliveable that some people, about half, had no response at all.

That half the people at a recreational resort or a medical conference had enough symptoms of this type to respond was kind of shocking to me. I thought that most of them were healthy. I kept repeating it at other places with other similar groups.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Fred - I didn't realise the ab12 didn't mean anything in terms of methylation but the neuro & induced deficiency symptoms I got when I introduced mb12 presumably mean I've got a partial methylation block.

That's interesting about how many people get a reaction.

richvank

Hi, Sasha.

The main reasons I encourage people to run the methylation pathways panel are (1) to find out if they do have the vicious circle mechanism going on in their biochemistry that involves glutathione depletion, a functional B12 deficiency, a partial block in the methylation cycle, and loss of folates, and (2) to obtain baseline data for levels of the parameters in the methylation cycle and the folate metabolism, and the levels of reduced and oxidized glutathione. Having the baseline data is helpful later on in treatment, to gauge the progress. It isn't always clear from symptoms alone how the treatment is doing, because the treatment can make symptoms worse for a while. By repeating the panel later on, a person can find out if the treatment is actually helping, and how much more things need to be improved.

There are also some other things that can be learned. In a small subset of PWMEs, the glutathione level comes out normal, but there is still a partial block in the methylation cycle. These people may have low activity or genomic polymorphisms in the enzymes that normally use the glutathione, i.e. glutathione peroxidase and/or glutathione transferases. It is helpful to know whether this is the case, because it can indicate that more selenium might be needed for the glutathione peroxidases, or it can alert a person to the need to focus special attention on heavy metal toxicity, which may require chelation.

As harrycat noted, this panel can also indicate whether the main issue causing a partial methylation cycle block is the B12 functional deficiency or lack of enough active folate.

This panel can also indicate the severity of oxidative stress. When this is severe, it can be helpful to add some once-through antioxidants to help to control it.

If the initial panel shows very low reduced glutathione and S-adenosylmethionine, I think it indicates that methylcobalamin would be the preferable form of B12 to use, rather than hydroxocobalamin, because these two are needed to convert hydroxocobalamin to methylcobalamin.

(As you probably know, Freddd favors use of methylcbbalamin and adenosylcobalamin in all cases, and finds hydroxocobalamin unhelpful. I think this results from his inheritance of a mutation in the Cblc complementation group, which is coded by the MMACHC gene. Some of the mutations that can occur in this complementation group will hinder the formation of both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin from hydroxocobalamin, and they will also cause glutathione to interfere with, rather than to help, as is normal, with formation of these coenzyme forms of B12, which Freddd also experiences. I don't know what fraction of the ME/CFS population has one of these mutations. Freddd is also intolerant of folinic acid, and I suspect that the reason is that he has also inherited a polymorphism in the MTHFS enzyme, which is the only enzyme that can convert folinic acid to be used to form other forms of folate. I also don't know how widespread this polymorphism is.)

In my opinion, the advantage of using hydroxocobalamin, when it is possible, is that it leaves control of the amounts of methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin that are produced to the cells themselves. When large amounts of methylcobalamin and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate are taken together, the methylation cycle can be overdriven, and it appears that this will slow the recovery of glutathione, because too much of the homocysteine is converted to methionine, leaving too little to feed synthesis of cysteine, which is the rate-limiting amino acid for the synthesis of glutathione.

Dr. Amy Yasko uses different criteria to decide which form of B12 is best in a particular case, looking at the polymorphisms in COMT and VDR.
Depending on the various polymorphisms that people have in genes associated with the methylation cycle, they may need more or less B12 support, according to Dr. Yasko's approach.

As harrycat mentioned, it is also very helpful to run some other tests, including urine organic acids and plasma amino acids (urine amino acids panels can also be used). When these are run together with the methylation pathways panel, it is possible to get a more complete picture of the status of the metabolism, and to identify particular deficiencies. If there are problems with the digestive system, running a comprehensive stool analysis panel is helpful to identify what the particular issues are, to guide treatment.

Best regards,

Rich

Jenny

For those without symptoms it had all the effects of a pleasent flavored candy.

Hi Freddd, what symptoms are you referring to? I've taken sublingual 5000mcg of mb12 a day for months, and I agree, it tastes like candy. (A bit too sweet for my liking though.) It seems to do nothing whatsoever for my ME, good or bad. No reaction at all. I'm taking it with metafolin.

I have all the symptoms of ME, sometimes moderate, sometimes quite severe.

Jenny

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi rich - thanks very much indeed for the detailed reply. It sounds as though I should go ahead with the meth panel test, at least! And hold off switching from hb12 to ab12 and mb12 until I get the results.

anniekim

Hi Harrycat, do you mind me asking how you are faring on the methylation protocol? Many thanks

Freddd

Hi Freddd, what symptoms are you referring to? I've taken sublingual 5000mcg of mb12 a day for months, and I agree, it tastes like candy. (A bit too sweet for my liking though.) It seems to do nothing whatsoever for my ME, good or bad. No reaction at all. I'm taking it with metafolin.

I have all the symptoms of ME, sometimes moderate, sometimes quite severe.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I have a daughter of the same name. Could you list ALL the symptoms you have from the master list and any others as well as each and every supplement you are taking. The symptoms I am referring to are those that ended up on that list. A pure ME might not respond to 5mg for any number of reasons. There are additional critical cofactors and complicating supplements and medications. Let's work through this.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I have a daughter of the same name. Could you list ALL the symptoms you have from the master list and any others as well as each and every supplement you are taking. The symptoms I am referring to are those that ended up on that list. A pure ME might not respond to 5mg for any number of reasons. There are additional critical cofactors and complicating supplements and medications. Let's work through this.

Not sure what the master list is but my symptoms are:

Extreme weakness and exhaustion
Flu-like symptoms (sweating, shivering, headaches, painful lymph nodes in back of skull, groin, armpits)
Stabbing pain at back of eyes
Electric shock sensations up right arm
Malaise
Very sensitive to cold
Dizziness
Vertigo
Sore soles of feet
Tingling in face
Painful joints, particularly knees, elbows and base of thumb (can't hold a pen for long)
Pain at site of previous injuries
Back pain
Fast and irregular heartbeat
Shortness of breath
Nausea
I rarely have any cognitive problems

All these symptoms come and go, fortunately I rarely have them all at once. I am often bed-bound for months, but also have had periods of virtual remission.

Supplements:

Hydro B12 injections 1000mcg once a week
Methyl B12 5000mcg daily
Metafolin 800mcg daily
Vit C
Acetyl-l-carnitine
D-ribose
Creatine
Vit D3
Niacinamide
Zinc
Potassium iodide
Magnesium citrate
TMG
Selenium
Alpha lipoic acid 50mg every 3 hours, 3 days a week (Cutler protocol)
Jarro-dophilius
Omega 3
Nutrient 950 (multivitamin with vit K)

I've taken most of these for years.

Medications:

Valacyclovir 2gms daily (taken this for one year)
Amytriptyline 10mg at night
Nexavir 2mls twice a week

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

Freddd

Not sure what the master list is but my symptoms are:

Extreme weakness and exhaustion
Flu-like symptoms (sweating, shivering, headaches, painful lymph nodes in back of skull, groin, armpits)
Stabbing pain at back of eyes
Electric shock sensations up right arm
Malaise
Very sensitive to cold
Dizziness
Vertigo
Sore soles of feet
Tingling in face
Painful joints, particularly knees, elbows and base of thumb (can't hold a pen for long)
Pain at site of previous injuries
Back pain
Fast and irregular heartbeat
Shortness of breath
Nausea
I rarely have any cognitive problems

All these symptoms come and go, fortunately I rarely have them all at once. I am often bed-bound for months, but also have had periods of virtual remission.

Supplements:

Methyl B12 5000mcg daily
Metafolin 800mcg daily
Vit C
Acetyl-l-carnitine
D-ribose
Creatine
Vit D3
Niacinamide
Zinc
Potassium iodide
Magnesium citrate
TMG
Selenium
Alpha lipoic acid 50mg every 3 hours, 3 days a week (Cutler protocol)
Jarro-dophilius
Omega 3

I've taken most of these for years.

Medications:

Valacyclovir 2gms daily (taken this for one year)
Amytriptyline 10mg at night
Nexavir 2mls twice a week

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thankyou for the information. I would like to have some clarification on several things. Sometimes the devil is in the small details, the "fine print". First I want to say that the Nutrient 950 with K is the best multivitamin I have ever seen. I'm going to be able to suggest it to others looking for something to make their life easier with fewer pills. Also, as I have said about a good multi vitamin, it requires 6 caps per day for the full dosage.

Why are you taking the one with vitamin K? Have you had bleeding problems?

Could you go through the separates and specifiy how much of each and what brands?

With the 5mg b2 how are you taking it?

Also when you have remissions what symptoms back off and how far?

What symptoms get worse and leave you bed-bound. I've been there by the way. When I had my crash. I could barely walk to the car to go to the doc and my wife had to drive me. I was barely able to function at all and was bed-bound or rocking chair bound for 6 months and yet the doc could find NOTHING wrong. I stayed almost that bad for 16 years. I have now recovered. I had most all of your symptoms or minor variations of them.

Tell me about your sense of taste. Are strawberries as good as they used to be?

Do you eat white flour products?
What breakfast cerials
what fortified drinks or protein drinks, instant breakfast, etc?
how much meat
how much genuine dairy, milk and cheese etc -
how much fruit
how much veggies not incluing potatoes
how much junk food
how much nuts and seeds
how much whole grain products, wheat, rye, corn

Is there anything at all you suspect causes the crashes? Tell me about your diet. Do you have somebody preparing food for you when bed-bound?

Does your diet change before bed-bound happens
Change after bed bound
change back before recovery?
change back after recovery?

Also, do you have some basic blood count info like numbers from a CBC or any results from other tests that might be relevant if you have had nutritional or hormonal tezsting done.

I know I'm asking for a lot but I'm looking for all sorts of clues that may not be obvious enough to ask about directly. What I am looking for might be various combos that I recognize when I see them but couylsn't ask about directly. Thankyou

Jenny

Thanks very much for this Freddd - my responses are below.

Hi Jenny,

Thankyou for the information. I would like to have some clarification on several things. Sometimes the devil is in the small details, the "fine print". First I want to say that the Nutrient 950 with K is the best multivitamin I have ever seen. I'm going to be able to suggest it to others looking for something to make their life easier with fewer pills. Also, as I have said about a good multi vitamin, it requires 6 caps per day for the full dosage.

Why are you taking the one with vitamin K? Have you had bleeding problems? It was the one my doc recommended, not sure why

Could you go through the separates and specifiy how much of each and what brands?

Methyl B12 5000mcg daily - Jarrow
Metafolin 800mcg daily -Solgar
Vit C - 2g daily Holland and Barratt
Acetyl-l-carnitine - Doctor's Best - 500 mg daily
D-ribose -Doctor's Best - 1500mg daily
Creatine - Pure Encapsulations - 2g daily
Vit D3 - Healthy Origins - 2500iu daily
Niacinamide - Source Naturals - 500mg daily
Zinc -picolinate - Country Life - 25mg daily
Potassium iodide - Now - 30 mg daily
Magnesium citrate - Country Life - 500 mg daily
TMG - Jarrow - 500 mg daily
Selenium - Healthy Origins - 200mcg daily
Alpha lipoic acid 50mg every 3 hours, 3 days a week (Cutler protocol)- Source Naturals
Jarro-dophilius- daily
Omega 3 premium fish oil - Madre Labs, 1300mg daily

With the 5mg b2 how are you taking it? Under the tongue for a while then under top lip

Also when you have remissions what symptoms back off and how far? Flu-like symptoms diminish, have more energy, pain is better, dizziness gone, no headaches. I never feel 100% but I do have periods of 3-5 months where these symptoms are much less severe and I'm at around 90%. These good periods have been much less frequent in the last 10 years though. (Had ME for 30 years.)

What symptoms get worse and leave you bed-bound. I've been there by the way. When I had my crash. I could barely walk to the car to go to the doc and my wife had to drive me. I was barely able to function at all and was bed-bound or rocking chair bound for 6 months and yet the doc could find NOTHING wrong. I stayed almost that bad for 16 years. I have now recovered. I had most all of your symptoms or minor variations of them. That sounds awful Freddd. I'm bed bound when I feel too ill to do anything but curl up in a ball in bed. Very severe malaise, aching pain all over, can't get warm, yet have frequent night sweats. Can't walk more than a few steps without total exhaustion - sometimes have to sleep for 20 minutes after walking up short flight of stairs. Sometimes have insomnia for months, then sleep 15 hours a day for weeks.

Tell me about your sense of taste. Are strawberries as good as they used to be? I think sense of taste is fine. Strawberries are just as good as my husband grows them on our allotment!

Do you eat white flour products? Not at the moment - just started wheat free diet
What breakfast cerials Only porridge or one made with rice
what fortified drinks or protein drinks, instant breakfast, etc? None
how much meat About 150 gm of meat most days, all kinds
how much genuine dairy, milk and cheese etc - only goat's milk kefir, which I make myself. No other dairy
how much fruit 2 or 3 fruits a day, eg apple, banana, kiwi, pineapple, prunes, apricots
how much veggies not incluing potatoes Veggies for lunch and dinner, one or two portions, all kinds, some raw
how much junk food none
how much nuts and seeds about 15 almonds, 5 brazils, occasionally walnuts, per day. Hardly ever have seeds
how much whole grain products, wheat, rye, corn occasionally have cornflour to thicken gravies etc, no wheat or rye

Is there anything at all you suspect causes the crashes? no idea. Not linked to overdoing things or infections. But always crash in Sept/Oct.Tell me about your diet. Do you have somebody preparing food for you when bed-bound? yes, husband prepares food when I can't. Diet is pretty good I think. Very little sugar. No additives, few preservatives. Use olive oil for cooking

Does your diet change before bed-bound happens no
Change after bed bound Yes, in that I have periods where I feel so ill and nauseous I can hardly eat anything. So have very small portions. Still keep to good diet though
change back before recovery?no
change back after recovery?Only in that I get my appetite back

Also, do you have some basic blood count info like numbers from a CBC or any results from other tests that might be relevant if you have had nutritional or hormonal tezsting done. Most things normal, but I always have low lymphocytes (just below normal). Other abnormalities - low total iron building capacity (46.8, normal starts at 53). Always have equivocal EBV VCA IgM antibody. Low % of CD19+ B cells (8% of lymph, normal starts at 12). high % of CD16+ CD56 NK cells (25 %of lymph normal ends at 16. Mannose binding lectin deficiency - homozygous, so have none

Tests for nutritional deficiences mostly normal, except sometimes have low calcium. Thyroid tests normal

I know I'm asking for a lot but I'm looking for all sorts of clues that may not be obvious enough to ask about directly. What I am looking for might be various combos that I recognize when I see them but couylsn't ask about directly. Thankyou

Thanks very much for all your effort with this1

Freddd

Thanks very much for this Freddd - my responses are below.
Hi Jenny,

Why are you taking the one with vitamin K? Have you had bleeding problems? It was the one my doc recommended, not sure why

Methyl B12 5000mcg daily - Jarrow
Metafolin 800mcg daily -Solgar
Vit C - 2g daily Holland and Barratt
Acetyl-l-carnitine - Doctor's Best - 500 mg daily
D-ribose -Doctor's Best - 1500mg daily
Creatine - Pure Encapsulations - 2g daily
Vit D3 - Healthy Origins - 2500iu daily
Niacinamide - Source Naturals - 500mg daily
Zinc -picolinate - Country Life - 25mg daily
Potassium iodide - Now - 30 mg daily
Magnesium citrate - Country Life - 500 mg daily
TMG - Jarrow - 500 mg daily
Selenium - Healthy Origins - 200mcg daily
Alpha lipoic acid 50mg every 3 hours, 3 days a week (Cutler protocol)- Source Naturals
Jarro-dophilius- daily
Omega 3 premium fish oil - Madre Labs, 1300mg daily

With the 5mg b2 how are you taking it? Under the tongue for a while then under top lip

Also when you have remissions what symptoms back off and how far? Flu-like symptoms diminish, have more energy, pain is better, dizziness gone, no headaches. I never feel 100% but I do have periods of 3-5 months where these symptoms are much less severe and I'm at around 90%. These good periods have been much less frequent in the last 10 years though. (Had ME for 30 years.)

What symptoms get worse and leave you bed-bound. I've been there by the way. When I had my crash. I could barely walk to the car to go to the doc and my wife had to drive me. I was barely able to function at all and was bed-bound or rocking chair bound for 6 months and yet the doc could find NOTHING wrong. I stayed almost that bad for 16 years. I have now recovered. I had most all of your symptoms or minor variations of them. That sounds awful Freddd. I'm bed bound when I feel too ill to do anything but curl up in a ball in bed. Very severe malaise, aching pain all over, can't get warm, yet have frequent night sweats. Can't walk more than a few steps without total exhaustion - sometimes have to sleep for 20 minutes after walking up short flight of stairs. Sometimes have insomnia for months, then sleep 15 hours a day for weeks.

Tell me about your sense of taste. Are strawberries as good as they used to be? I think sense of taste is fine. Strawberries are just as good as my husband grows them on our allotment!

Do you eat white flour products? Not at the moment - just started wheat free diet
What breakfast cerials Only porridge or one made with rice
what fortified drinks or protein drinks, instant breakfast, etc? None
how much meat About 150 gm of meat most days, all kinds
how much genuine dairy, milk and cheese etc - only goat's milk kefir, which I make myself. No other dairy
how much fruit 2 or 3 fruits a day, eg apple, banana, kiwi, pineapple, prunes, apricots
how much veggies not incluing potatoes Veggies for lunch and dinner, one or two portions, all kinds, some raw
how much junk food none
how much nuts and seeds about 15 almonds, 5 brazils, occasionally walnuts, per day. Hardly ever have seeds
how much whole grain products, wheat, rye, corn occasionally have cornflour to thicken gravies etc, no wheat or rye

Is there anything at all you suspect causes the crashes? no idea. Not linked to overdoing things or infections. But always crash in Sept/Oct.Tell me about your diet. Do you have somebody preparing food for you when bed-bound? yes, husband prepares food when I can't. Diet is pretty good I think. Very little sugar. No additives, few preservatives. Use olive oil for cooking

Does your diet change before bed-bound happens no
Change after bed bound Yes, in that I have periods where I feel so ill and nauseous I can hardly eat anything. So have very small portions. Still keep to good diet though
change back before recovery?no
change back after recovery?Only in that I get my appetite back

Also, do you have some basic blood count info like numbers from a CBC or any results from other tests that might be relevant if you have had nutritional or hormonal tezsting done. Most things normal, but I always have low lymphocytes (just below normal). Other abnormalities - low total iron building capacity (46.8, normal starts at 53). Always have equivocal EBV VCA IgM antibody. Low % of CD19+ B cells (8% of lymph, normal starts at 12). high % of CD16+ CD56 NK cells (25 %of lymph normal ends at 16. Mannose binding lectin deficiency - homozygous, so have none

Tests for nutritional deficiences mostly normal, except sometimes have low calcium. Thyroid tests normal

Hi Jenny,

What I wanted to see in the CBC was the platelet info. Low platelet count is a common occurance in these deficiencies.

Flu-like symptoms diminish, have more energy, pain is better, dizziness gone, no headaches. I never feel 100% but I do have periods of 3-5 months where these symptoms are much less severe and I'm at around 90%. These good periods have been much less frequent in the last 10 years though

Very severe malaise, aching pain all over, can't get warm, yet have frequent night sweats. Can't walk more than a few steps without total exhaustion

I have periods where I feel so ill and nauseous I can hardly eat anything

SO "flu-like symptoms, especially body ache and pain? Would that be muscles and/or joint pain? Does it respond to asprin or ibuprofen or naproxin as in inflmmatory pain? Does that include fevers, or feeling feverish with the skin feel of fever? Just keep going, we are almost there.

I would like to mention that those were my exact symptoms during the bed-bound periods intially and on several flairups during the years.

Not linked to overdoing things or infections. But always crash in Sept/Oct

THAT timing is very suggestive.

Do you go on holiday in July or August? Are you out in the sun a lot more? Do you get more exercise? Do you take advantage of harvest season to enjoy more fresh veggies. I have a nice organic garden and really enjoy eating all those fresh produce items with the fantastic fresh out of the garden flavor. Even though I don't think of myself as eating a lot more porduce at that time of year I do because it is there in abundence, I do. For instance I make a summer squash with tomatos, carrots and onions and with wheat germ and cheese topping dish and variations thereon. And maybe a side of chard and some fresh salad. Do you find yourself doing that or something like it in July-September or October? How does your diet change during harvest season whether from local produce or your own garden?

Jenny

Hi again Freddd - see responses below, in italics:

Hi Jenny,

What I wanted to see in the CBC was the platelet info. Low platelet count is a common occurance in these deficiencies. Platelet count is normal

Flu-like symptoms diminish, have more energy, pain is better, dizziness gone, no headaches. I never feel 100% but I do have periods of 3-5 months where these symptoms are much less severe and I'm at around 90%. These good periods have been much less frequent in the last 10 years though

Very severe malaise, aching pain all over, can't get warm, yet have frequent night sweats. Can't walk more than a few steps without total exhaustion

I have periods where I feel so ill and nauseous I can hardly eat anything

SO "flu-like symptoms, especially body ache and pain? Would that be muscles and/or joint pain? Does it respond to asprin or ibuprofen or naproxin as in inflmmatory pain? Does that include fevers, or feeling feverish with the skin feel of fever? Just keep going, we are almost there. No doesn't respond to anything. No sure if it's muscles, as it doesn't get worse with using them. Not just joints - aching all over and 'heavy' feeling. No fevers, temp always below normal, no matter how I feel.

I would like to mention that those were my exact symptoms during the bed-bound periods intially and on several flairups during the years.

Not linked to overdoing things or infections. But always crash in Sept/Oct

THAT timing is very suggestive.

Do you go on holiday in July or August? Are you out in the sun a lot more? Do you get more exercise? Do you take advantage of harvest season to enjoy more fresh veggies. I have a nice organic garden and really enjoy eating all those fresh produce items with the fantastic fresh out of the garden flavor. Even though I don't think of myself as eating a lot more porduce at that time of year I do because it is there in abundence, I do. For instance I make a summer squash with tomatos, carrots and onions and with wheat germ and cheese topping dish and variations thereon. And maybe a side of chard and some fresh salad. Do you find yourself doing that or something like it in July-September or October? How does your diet change during harvest season whether from local produce or your own garden?

Yes, I have more organic home-grown veg at this time of year, but I'm also eating these from May onwards (beans, peas, lettuce, spinach etc). Almost all veg we eat in summer and early autumn is homegrown and organic. Yes, eat quite a bit of squash and tomatoes at this time of year. Haven't eaten cheese for years, and not much wheat. Usually go on holiday in June and September, and on the Sept holiday I'm usually gradually going downhill (it is gradual, not a sudden crash). Yes, I am in the sun more from April to Oct. I do get more exercise in the summer as I'm usually feeling better, but I take care not to overdo it.

Thanks, Jenny

greenshots

Personally, I don't think having the panel done is that expensive. If you consider that I've paid out thousands over the years to help my daughter, and none of it helped, spending $500 on the panel gave us a tailored regimen. I don't think you need to be on every supplement or herb or whatever, for every defect, and neither did my doctor, but it sure helped us. My daughter is back and even better than she ever was. I thank God every day we could take advantage of cutting-edge medicine to do this.
Angela

Freddd

Hi again Freddd - see responses below, in italics:

Thanks, Jenny

Hi Jenny,

What other symptoms if any coordinate with your crashes, ie angular cheilitis? Skin problems? Cold feet or hands? Increased allergies? Increased asthma? Increased chemical sensitivity?

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

What other symptoms if any coordinate with your crashes, ie angular cheilitis? Skin problems? Cold feet or hands? Increased allergies? Increased asthma? Increased chemical sensitivity?

The only one of these I have is cold hands and feet, also cold nose! They are all worse in a crash. No angular cheilitis. Don't seem to have any allergies, except mild hayfever in early summer, no asthma, no chemical sensitivity.

Jenny

Freddd

The only one of these I have is cold hands and feet, also cold nose! They are all worse in a crash. No angular cheilitis. Don't seem to have any allergies, except mild hayfever in early summer, no asthma, no chemical sensitivity.

Jenny

"The last question was asked for the first time, half in jest, on May 21, 2061..."

Can Entropy be reversed?

There is as yet insufficient data for a meaniful answer.

However, there are some possibilites of an answer to your situation.

I would say that the information presented provide a strong argument for paradoxical folate deficiency. If that is the case some larger doses of Methylfolate, perhaps 8mg to 16mg perhaps in a single dose or maybe across several doses per day. Also a 50mg Jarrow Mb12 dose and a 50mg ADb12 dose, sublingual held for 2-3 hours, maybe 4 hours depending upon how many tablets you can fit at a time. This could correct it pretty quickly. Then titration of substances to find what maintains it. Metafolin in large doses and timed before the food and at the same time to try ot out-compete the veggie folate may help. Problems is that the veggie folate builds up over time until it appears to completely block Metafolin. Learn the early symptoms so you can stop the veggies when trouble starts before it gets serious. This is all bleeding edge experimental so no pat abswers.

In the fall you qwould be having a decrease in Vit D. A supplemnt of 4000-5000 per day might help.

adenosylb12, Source Naturals could be a HUGE help.

For some people Acetyl l- carnitine interfers with l-carnitine fumarate and prevents it from working. In even more people acetyl l-carnitne doesn't work at all with adenosylb12 to activate mitochondria. Changing to l-carnitine fumarate might help anywhere from a little to HUGE differences.

Increased vitamin C, to 4000 to 6000mg or more might help.