1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation or no B vitamins/B Complex?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Lotus97, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    My question is this: If I'm not doing methylation is it better to take no B vitamins at all? Or are they better than nothing?

I'm not sure I want to deal with methylation now. I hear people on these forums saying it's the best thing since sliced bread and others saying it has risks and can also make you feel worse. I had been taking Jarrow's B-Right for the past year, but after they added methyl folate to the formula I seemed to have a bad reaction to it. There have been other things going on such as a possible mercury exposure due to a cracked tooth with an amalgam filling that had to be removed. I stopped the B Right for a few days and I think I felt better then I took it and felt worse. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't feel like testing it again right now because I'm already not feeling too good.
  2. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Hi Lotus, i also havent tried the methylation [protocols due to being unsure of the risks for me.
    Instead i take 300mcg a day of injected (sub cut) Methyl B12. I find it very useful and has been the single biggest thing that has helped me so far.
    However after a year on it, it has started to lose its effects. I know i have very poor antioxidant status - like many here - and B12 can mop up free rdical damage caused by this.

all the best, Justy
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've been taking B100 B complex for the past week. I don't seem to be doing worse, but since I started this thread I've read a couple threads saying how I could do damage to myself with the inactive B vitamins. How can I tell whether these are harming me? I've read about the MTHFR gene test. Do need to get that or is there another way to tell? I've already spent a lot of money on tests, but I also spend a lot of money on supplements so it would be good to know which ones I need.

Also, is there any harm in taking both inactive and active forms of B vitamins at the same time or in the same day? I just ordered some methylcobalamin. This was before I read Rich's methylation protocol suggesting hydroxocobalamin so I'm not sure which to take. I also have some P5P sublinguals which I actually bought before I knew about methylation. And I found out the my glutathione sublingual which I take 3 times a day has a small amount of
    Riboflavin (as 2.25 mg flavin mononucleotide (Coenzymated) 1.6 mg
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I decided I'm going to start methylation, but I'm going to wait a bit before I start taking folinic acid/calcium folinate or methylfolate/5-MTHF (L-Methylfolate)/Metafolin/Quatrefolic (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt. I'm doing this because I think these are going to be the most likely to cause problems and also I've read that I should raise B-12 levels before I start folate supplementation. Once I start taking folinic acid and methylfolate do I need to stop taking folic acid or at least take folic acid at a separate time of day? I know Fredd has the problem of both folic acid and folinic acid blocking methylfolate, but is that a common problem? I don't mind stopping supplements with folic acid, but I have a few protein powders I like to take from time to time so I'd like to keep using them if at all possible. Here's Rich's opinion on folic acid (as of July 2012):

I was also wondering about taking niacin (niacinamide and/or Inositol Hexanicotinate) in the process of methylation. I take niacin partially for boosting ATP and lowering cholesterol and also because I didn't see any reason not to. These quotes raise some questions however.

First quote is from the bottle of a supplement

Second quote is from this site: http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Are there any further thoughts on niacin and methylation? Should undermethylators not take it in high doses?

I took my usual 5000mcg B12 dose after 350 mg of niacin this morning and immediately felt awful. It might have been a coincidence but now I'm wondering if niacin is a good idea or not.

Ema
  6. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Ema,
    I like 10-20 mg sublingual (NADH) for my niacinamide. I time it as such: MTHF/folinic, a bit later MB12 and AdB12, at least a couple of hours later, NADH. Not that your body will work the same way, but this seems to work for me.

See more popular forum discussions.