• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation gurus: any input would be appreciated on my 23&me results!

valentinelynx

You folks have been so helpful for people like Misfit Toy, and I wonder if I might impose for some advice. After years of just not knowing what to do or think of the methylation block issue, I got the 23&me genetic testing and ran it through Genetic Genie.

As I cannot work out the implications of my genetic profile for the methylation issues (and I'm generally a pretty smart person, I think), I just decided to start (a version of) Rich VanK's Simplified Methylation Protocol: 2,000 mcg/d of sublingual hydroxycobalamin, 1 capsule Phosphatidyl serene Matrix (Source Naturals), then added 1/4 tablet FolaPro (200 mcg 5 L-methyltetrahydofolate) and then 1/4 tablet folinic acid (200 mcg).

It's only been 5 days. No earth shaking results either way. My pain is up, but within the usual day to day variability. Energy maybe slightly up, but again with normal variation.

I guess my question is: does anyone who knows this stuff have any specific recommendations beyond the Simplified Methylation Protocol (avoid this, or you need extra that, or ???)

Many thanks in advance.
Here's my 23&Me results:

23&me Genetic Genie Methylaton.png

PeterPositive

Hi,
how these SNPs can affect our health is not very clear. Besides a couple of them for many other SNPs there isn't sufficient evidence that they can cause any specific issue.

In any case you have the double MTHFR C677T mutation, like I do, which is well documented and can cause high homocysteine, deplete folate, slow down methylation etc... This usually needs to be addressed.

Have you ever done a blood test measuring your levels of folate, vitamin B12 and homocysteine?

The COMT++ mutations can slow down the breakdown of catecholamines, a family of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, epinephrine norepinephrine... in a nutshell they can cause extra anxiety, nervousness etc...

cheers

valentinelynx

Hi,
how these SNPs can affect our health is not very clear. Besides a couple of them for many other SNPs there isn't sufficient evidence that they can cause any specific issue.

In any case you have the double MTHFR C677T mutation, like I do, which is well documented and can cause high homocysteine, deplete folate, slow down methylation etc... This usually needs to be addressed.

Have you ever done a blood test measuring your levels of folate, vitamin B12 and homocysteine?

The COMT++ mutations can slow down the breakdown of catecholamines, a family of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, epinephrine norepinephrine... in a nutshell they can cause extra anxiety, nervousness etc...

cheers

Thanks, Peter Positive. I had pretty much gathered the info you offer re: C677T and COMT, hence trying the Simplified Methylation Protocol.

I have had B12 and folate tested, but not homocysteine.

B12 & folate were elevated (>2,000 pg/ml B12 & >19.9 ng/ml folate), which is weird because I was not taking much supplementation of those vitamins. Have not tested homocysteine.

Did test methylmalonic acid, curious about whether I was able to use the oddly high levels of B12 in my serum and that result came back normal at 199 nmol/L.

Other oddity of me (there are a few... when I've had IV or IM B12 (cyanocobolamin) shots, they make me feel awful, weak and tired.

??

PeterPositive

@valentinelynx is it possible you had the B12 tests done after the B12 shots?
Also if your diet contains folic acid enriched foods it could explain the high value of folate...

Unfortunately folic acid is not very useful for people like us with the MTHFR mutation. The best form is methyl-folate.

Similarly cyano-B12 is possibly less effective than methyl-B12.

cheers

valentinelynx

Nope. It had been over a year since any B12 shots. As for folate intake, between the MVI I was taking and the protein shakes I was drinking I would have been getting about 400 mcg/day of folate. I don't eat flour products.

Thanks for the input.

TheChosenOne

It's difficult to tell something about your situation on these SNPs alone.
MTHFR C677T and MTRR A66G are a problem. But besides that, there is not much that affect methylation.
COMT and MAOA affect the breakdown of catecholamines (primarily dopamine and serotonin). Low dopamine/serotonin can cause depression and pain. What really helps for me is lithium and tyrosine.

valentinelynx

It's difficult to tell something about your situation on these SNPs alone.
MTHFR C677T and MTRR A66G are a problem. But besides that, there is not much that affect methylation.
COMT and MAOA affect the breakdown of catecholamines (primarily dopamine and serotonin). Low dopamine/serotonin can cause depression and pain. What really helps for me is lithium and tyrosine.

Thanks for the input.