Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation genetic genre results, please help :)

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Ben Howell, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Ben Howell

Ben Howell OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Hi guys,

Attached are my GG results from 23andme. I think there is some interesting stuff in there!

Any input regarding methylation, protocols, meaning would be great. It's one of the few areas I have not done a massive amount of research on due to being so I'll right now.

Thanks guys!

Ben

Attached Files:

Grigor likes this.
  2. Ben Howell

U.K.
    @Valentijn any ideas? I've called you out after looking at your posts on the matter, I hope that is okay.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

The only one which looks like it might be significant is MTRR A66G. It can reduce recycling of methylB12 to about 30% of normal. So supplementing B12 might be worth a try. Some people do better with methylB12, and some do better with hydroxoB12, but there isn't a reliable way to predict who does better with which.

4. Ben Howell

U.K.
    @Valentijn
    Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

I presume the theory of Rich Vank may still apply despite my results, due to the fact his theory was based on an acquired methylation block? I.e.the people that benefit from methylation may include people with no Mthfr mutations?

Myself being a1298c + - means that I am at 80% functionality and probably don't need to take Methylfolate? ( I realise this is individual but guessing from genetics....)

Ben

Grigor likes this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    I need to do one too. Can't handle visitors though. Need to draw blood for this I guess??
    And not sure my GP will know what to do with it lol.

6. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    It's a saliva test which you order yourself from 23andme website. Results are available from the website for you to interpret.

There are various places that offer to analyse the data for a small fee. This thread (among many others) discusses the limitations of these sites and of 23andme in general.

I doubt that your GP would have any clue about it.

See more popular forum discussions.