• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation genetic genre results, please help :)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

Attached are my GG results from 23andme. I think there is some interesting stuff in there!

Any input regarding methylation, protocols, meaning would be great. It's one of the few areas I have not done a massive amount of research on due to being so I'll right now.

Thanks guys!

Ben

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 22
@Valentijn any ideas? I've called you out after looking at your posts on the matter, I hope that is okay.
The only one which looks like it might be significant is MTRR A66G. It can reduce recycling of methylB12 to about 30% of normal. So supplementing B12 might be worth a try. Some people do better with methylB12, and some do better with hydroxoB12, but there isn't a reliable way to predict who does better with which.

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
@Valentijn
Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

I presume the theory of Rich Vank may still apply despite my results, due to the fact his theory was based on an acquired methylation block? I.e.the people that benefit from methylation may include people with no Mthfr mutations?

Myself being a1298c + - means that I am at 80% functionality and probably don't need to take Methylfolate? ( I realise this is individual but guessing from genetics....)

Ben

Grigor

@Valentijn
Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

I presume the theory of Rich Vank may still apply despite my results, due to the fact his theory was based on an acquired methylation block? I.e.the people that benefit from methylation may include people with no Mthfr mutations?

Myself being a1298c + - means that I am at 80% functionality and probably don't need to take Methylfolate? ( I realise this is individual but guessing from genetics....)

Ben
I need to do one too. Can't handle visitors though. Need to draw blood for this I guess??
And not sure my GP will know what to do with it lol.

alicec

Need to draw blood for this I guess??

It's a saliva test which you order yourself from 23andme website. Results are available from the website for you to interpret.

There are various places that offer to analyse the data for a small fee. This thread (among many others) discusses the limitations of these sites and of 23andme in general.

I doubt that your GP would have any clue about it.