• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation for babies ?

daniariete2000

Hi all,

I just would like to know what to do when someones with mthfr problems born child ...

I think should be good to test baby for mthfr and maybe supplement with some folates. But how can be possible when baby has just some months ?

Anyones had any experience ?

Thanks

Daniele

Gondwanaland

I think the baby should have breast milk only, and the baby will ingest everything the mother ingests. So it is advisable that the mother has a clean GF diet with no folic acid. Ben Lynch might have posted about it already at http://mthfr.net/

It is good to know ar least the MTHFR status from both parents.

PeterPositive

Well the MTHFR mutation is not a "death sentence" in an of itself :)
With a proper nutrition and healthy life style many people can carry on an entire life without problems. Of course knowing that you have the problem is always good and it will inform your choices for the future.

I am not sure if it's sensible to give supplements to small babies. Maybe later in his development, if there's a real need for them.

Daniele - Like Gondwanaland said, I'd suggest just breastfeeding now and holding off on any supplements until they are older.

You may be able to get them tested for a MTHFR mutation.