• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Dosing

caledonia

Interesting. Do you know why that is? I would have thought that the b12 and folate would lower homocysteine, thus lowering cystathione and the resulting ammonia production from the transsulfuration pathway.

The CBS mutation is an upregulation, so all the intermediates go shooting through the transsulfuration pathway at ten times the normal rate. This is called the CBS drain. Excess ammonia, sulfites, sulfates, and hydrogen sulfide are produced. I believe this also means that B12 is not as available for recycling through the methylation cycle causing further problems.

Lotus97

When people are referring to methylation based excitotoxicity are they referring to ammonia?
This from dbkita about methylation and excitocity:
Remember methylation will also increase glutamate in the body. No one on here likes to talk or hear about that. It does it by the THF (in the folate loop) processing histidine into a form of glutamate instead of histamine. This is the reason why over methylators get stimulated and have low histamine levels. Glutamate in the CNS will bind to NMDA glutamate receptors.

This from dbkita about methylation and excitocity:
Remember methylation will also increase glutamate in the body. No one on here likes to talk or hear about that. It does it by the THF (in the folate loop) processing histidine into a form of glutamate instead of histamine. This is the reason why over methylators get stimulated and have low histamine levels. Glutamate in the CNS will bind to NMDA glutamate receptors.

Interesting. So we need a glutamate scavenger. Hhmmm....

I wonder if this would work....

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2011.07864.x/abstract

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Pyruvate-1000-mg-90-Tablets/753

Does anyone understand the mechanics/effects of high dose methylfolate? I'm getting really confused about it.

Basically, my understanding is that you have to take the right ratio of b12 with the methylfolate or else you'll deplete your b12 and cause methyl trapping. As per:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/does-b12-deplete-folate-and-or-vice-versa.12614/

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20080124/msgs/808948.html

But then I saw this on the metafolin page:

http://www.metafolin.com/about-meta...ently-does-not-mask-a-vitamin-b12-deficiency/

And then I saw this:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ection-to-folate-metabolism.9650/#post-177665

And I thought, ah, that's a clever trick. But then I read this study which seems to say that isn't possible:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16445837

"This trap results from the fact that 5MTHF can neither be metabolised via the methionine synthase pathway, nor can it be reconverted to its precursor, methylenetetrahydrofolate."

So....I guess that won't work after all.

Not only that, but if you cause methyl trapping, it seems you will actually end up losing folate and inducing hypomethylation (from the same study above):

"Other manifestations of the methylfolate trap include cellular folate loss because of shorter 5MTHF polyglutamate chains and global hypomethylation."

I'm so confused...

Lotus97

Does anyone understand the mechanics/effects of high dose methylfolate? I'm getting really confused about it.

Basically, my understanding is that you have to take the right ratio of b12 with the methylfolate or else you'll deplete your b12 and cause methyl trapping. As per:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/does-b12-deplete-folate-and-or-vice-versa.12614/

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20080124/msgs/808948.html

But then I saw this on the metafolin page:

http://www.metafolin.com/about-meta...ently-does-not-mask-a-vitamin-b12-deficiency/

And then I saw this:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ection-to-folate-metabolism.9650/#post-177665

And I thought, ah, that's a clever trick. But then I read this study which seems to say that isn't possible:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16445837

"This trap results from the fact that 5MTHF can neither be metabolised via the methionine synthase pathway, nor can it be reconverted to its precursor, methylenetetrahydrofolate."

So....I guess that won't work after all.

Not only that, but if you cause methyl trapping, it seems you will actually end up losing folate and inducing hypomethylation (from the same study above):

"Other manifestations of the methylfolate trap include cellular folate loss because of shorter 5MTHF polyglutamate chains and global hypomethylation."

I'm so confused...
I'd like to know what Freddd says about a ratio of B12 to folate because I couldn't really figure it out when I read his protocol. I can tell you what ratio Rich recommends though. He recommends starting with 200 mcg folinic acid, 200 mcg methylfolate, and 2000 mcg of hydroxocobalamin. If you don't experience improvement after a few months he recommends switching to methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin and maybe also increasing methylfolate. For methylcobalamin and methylfolate he recommends not going much higher than 800 mcg of methylfolate and 2000 mcg methylcobalamin. If you're taking additional methyl donors then that might complicate things a bit. If someone is switching from hydroxocobalamin to methylcobalamin I'd recommend starting at a low dose and not increasing methylfolate until they increase the B12 up to at least 1000-1500 mcg methylcobalamin. Also, make sure to use Enzymatic Therapy's methylcoblamin since most other brands aren't very good quality.

Freddd

I'd like to know what Freddd says about a ratio of B12 to folate because I couldn't really figure it out when I read his protocol. I can tell you what ratio Rich recommends though. He recommends starting with 200 mcg folinic acid, 200 mcg methylfolate, and 2000 mcg of hydroxocobalamin. If you don't experience improvement after a few months he recommends switching to methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin and maybe also increasing methylfolate. For methylcobalamin and methylfolate he recommends not going much higher than 800 mcg of methylfolate and 2000 mcg methylcobalamin. If you're taking additional methyl donors then that might complicate things a bit. If someone is switching from hydroxocobalamin to methylcobalamin I'd recommend starting at a low dose and not increasing methylfolate until they increase the B12 up to at least 1000-1500 mcg methylcobalamin. Also, make sure to use Enzymatic Therapy's methylcoblamin since most other brands aren't very good quality.

Hi Lotus,

I'd like to know what Freddd says about a ratio of B12 to folate

I have no fixed answer. I've become more and more in favor of titration to effectiveness by stages. So first, a combination of AdoCbl and MeCbl of about 100mcg absorbed with 200mcg of l-methylfolate. That is about the minimum of b12 that will provide the sufficiency of both kinds for body startup and some neurological healing. Then if healing startup occurs, titrate potassium to diminish potassium deficiency. The l-methylfolate is subject to a perhaps linear dose proportionate insufficiency by layers. So one can have 95% enough l-methylfolate and still have a couple of folate insufficiency symptoms that come and go with minor variations. The amount of l-methylfolate that is needed for sufficiency appears to depend upon how one reacts to folic acid, folinic acid and or veggie folates. There appear to be several distinct bandings of total l-methylfolate needed. All assuming 4 doses a day this is currently how I would describe this.

1. 800mcg - no turn on of healing
  2. 3200+mcg- - turn on of healing, all types of folate causing no problem
  3. 7500+mcg, folic acid problem
  4. 15,000+mcg, folic, folinic and veggie folate problems

What exact inabilities of the body to use the other folates are hypothesized based on pragmatic results. The increase of l-methylfolate seems counter intuitive to many for the donut hole folate insufficiency. "Don't throw me in the briar patch". The practice has been to lower the folate dose for the folate insufficiency and/or low potassium. Lowering folate stops the healing after some days and so stops the demands of the body for folate, coming out of donut hole insufficiency to the insufficiency started with. The low potassium can stay a long time.

Lotus97

Hi Lotus,

I'd like to know what Freddd says about a ratio of B12 to folate

I have no fixed answer. I've become more and more in favor of titration to effectiveness by stages. So first, a combination of AdoCbl and MeCbl of about 100mcg absorbed with 200mcg of l-methylfolate. That is about the minimum of b12 that will provide the sufficiency of both kinds for body startup and some neurological healing. Then if healing startup occurs, titrate potassium to diminish potassium deficiency. The l-methylfolate is subject to a perhaps linear dose proportionate insufficiency by layers. So one can have 95% enough l-methylfolate and still have a couple of folate insufficiency symptoms that come and go with minor variations. The amount of l-methylfolate that is needed for sufficiency appears to depend upon how one reacts to folic acid, folinic acid and or veggie folates. There appear to be several distinct bandings of total l-methylfolate needed. All assuming 4 doses a day this is currently how I would describe this.

1. 800mcg - no turn on of healing
  2. 3200+mcg- - turn on of healing, all types of folate causing no problem
  3. 7500+mcg, folic acid problem
  4. 15,000+mcg, folic, folinic and veggie folate problems

What exact inabilities of the body to use the other folates are hypothesized based on pragmatic results. The increase of l-methylfolate seems counter intuitive to many for the donut hole folate insufficiency. "Don't throw me in the briar patch". The practice has been to lower the folate dose for the folate insufficiency and/or low potassium. Lowering folate stops the healing after some days and so stops the demands of the body for folate, coming out of donut hole insufficiency to the insufficiency started with. The low potassium can stay a long time.
Even after starting a thread about it and reading some information elsewhere I still don't understand the Methyl Trap/Folate Trap very well. I'm not even sure how much is theoretical, but if you're increasing folate wouldn't you also need to increase B12? Or do you have an alternate theory?

Freddd

Even after starting a thread about it and reading some information elsewhere I still don't understand the Methyl Trap/Folate Trap very well. I'm not even sure how much is theoretical, but if you're increasing folate wouldn't you also need to increase B12? Or do you have an alternate theory?

Hi Lotus,

Let's look at how the MeCbl is actually used. Somewhere, there is a methylation diagram already posted here that assumes starting with MeCbl and there are ones out on the web. Choosing the right diagram of circles and arrows makes all the difference. Now in the diagrams showing starting with HyCbl, they show a "side diagram", involving l-methylfolate, SAM-e, etc that in the process of passing a methyl group around forms MeCbl where it is needed for the transaction. Generally it is said that MeCbl forms SAM-e and that SAM-e is the "universal methylator". Now looking at where there is MeCbl in the first place there is no need to borrow a methylgroup to pass around. These methylgroups come from all sorts of sources of origin. So MeCbl appears to act as a catalyst and emerges unchanged from the homocysteine and DNA transactions. Same thing happens in the mitochondria, the AdoCbl isn't used up but it acts as a catalyst. The b12s are used up by being oxidized by all sorts of toxins.

So the MeCbl acts as a catalyst, and as long there is sufficient other methylgroups available it is excreted unchanged. It is a weak methyl source, only 1.4% by mass. In theory if everybody has enough and a fully functioning body a person only needs to replace the daily losses of perhaps 5-10mcg via normal oxidation by toxins. Cyanide can destroy many grams of MeCbl, HyCbl and AdoCbl. It doesn't appear to get used up in the normal process of things. However, AdoCbl doing inflammation control appears to be used up in that mode, oxidized.

If you look at the amount of actual methyl groups TMG and choline are heavy duty sources. People take 500 or 1000mg of TMG which has a couple of methyl groups available in a smaller molecule. These other sources supply thousands to millions of times as much actual methyl (CH4) as MeCbl.

So having 100mcg B12 in diffusion distribution in the blood is sufficient for all normal healing needs because it isn't used up in that mode. Sometimes HyCbl can slip into that recycling process. B12 level is much more a matter of tissue penetration before the kidneys knock it down too much. This is especially apparent in the CNS for trying to trigger physical damage SACD type healing. A study using doses of 120mcg and 1500mcg found that people healed with both but healed more extensively and faster with more 1500mcg which was large enough to get 100mcg into serum while the 120mcg oral dose could not cause that diffusion healing. Other studies have shown that oral doses of 125mcg are barely enough to saturate the active distribution system. It isn't a more or less linear response. It is more like discontinuities, sudden thresholds and steep knees in the graphs.

I still don't understand the Methyl Trap/Folate Trap very well. I'm not even sure how much is theoretical

The methyltrap "hypothesis" was proposed in the 1960s. At the time MeCbl and AdoCbl, if available at all were $1000/10mg-vial by 1970 or thereabouts. It was more valuable per mcg than anything else on Earth at the time. Very expensive and not something you can run a lot of studies with because of costs.

Basically things point at it over and over and over. The real work is now going on to understand that. With l-methylfolate and MeCbl etc easily available to study without breaking the bank, now they are trying. Up until my glutathione (precursor) disaster there was no quick and easy way to experimentally produce methyltrap. Some chemotherapy drugs do and perhaps that is one reason they can make people so sick with all those familiar things like brainfog, mood changes, skin changes, nausea, IBS, etc. I have a friend who had a drug ointment treatment of her skin for pre-cancerous skin changes. Within a few days she had what looked like full blown methyltrap. It took 3 or 4 days of 8000mcg a day of Metafolin and 6000mcg of MeCbl sublingual to back that off to at least not a total emotional wreck. The doctor was surprised she absorbed so much topically as to give her the chemotherapy side effects including chemo brain (brainfog). On the second round she was already taking the Metafolin and MeCbl and had no problems at all. It was an astonishing difference to see, no mood or cognitive changes at all.

There are lots of studies that approach methyltrap from the microscopic level. There are none that I know of approach from a "what are the symptoms?" and "what reverses it ?". Rich very carefully explained it if you can find his original post in a reply to me. He also was aware of the sudden onset of the more severe symptoms that about half or more of us have done and made very clear that something different was happening from the "partial methylation block" and used them to make a distinction. I talked about if for years as "falling over an edge" pushed by just about any stressor after being in a "depleted methylator" state. It is only now with having a model of induced methyltrap can it be shown just how suddenly and extreme onset is and how quickly it can be broken out of, can we point at it and say "THIS IS METHYLTRAP". It's like that Vince Lombardi moment of "Gentlemen, This is a football". Anybody reading these materials can now make a better stab at recognizing methyltrap than anybody who hasn't.

In reading studies, reading between the lines is often far more important than the conclusions they are willing to pin their reputations on. In B12 and folate research, people dropping out for side effects or even what side effects they have can tell a whole lot if startup is understood.

Understanding the paradoxical folate-b12 symptoms swapping that can happen in all sorts of paradoxical ways in methyltrap helps illuminate it.

I think that at last we have a pragmatic handle on it. One of the things that is abundantly clear is that there is no linear proportionate relationship between the amount of MeCbl needed for healing as compared to L-methylfolate. Anything based on the assumption that there is such a linear relationship doesn't work in the expected manner. MeCbl doesn't drive healing, it makes it possible. AdoCbl doesn't drive energy production, it just has to be in place for it to occur.

This is where the pragmatic descriptions of the various forms of paradoxical folate deficiency/insufficiency, methyltrap, and crossover points and partial ATP block all come together in pragmatic terms, symptoms (as best I can so far), how to trigger it and how to exit it all come together.

You and I and all the rest here are sitting at the bleeding edge of knowledge. The system bled me dry for 50 years without ever understanding or fixing the problem. Its taken 5 years with Rich's help to reach these understandings after 30+ years of preparation. I came HERE because Rich was here and ready to discuss and had ideas that fit in near perfectly with what I had already realized

I find that the methyltrap is easily demonstrated and reversed. However, onset can be brutal and getting out of it is can be rough going.

Freddd

Hi Lotus,

I didn't finish and the size was getting to be where editing was so slow it missed characters. So what in theory happens is that when the l-methylfolate arrives in the cell ready for transacting business, there is no MeCbl and so the mfolate is expelled. However, instead of fail at b12 fail points, it fails with mfolate fail points and hence has severe mfolate deficiency symptoms.

Pragmatically then, when one takes a little MeCbl (directly or via inactive converted to active) the folate doesn't get kicked out so the fail point isn't mfolate and the symptoms switch to the MeCbl deficiency symptoms and partial methylation block symptoms despite taking MeCbl.

Hi Lotus,

I didn't finish and the size was getting to be where editing was so slow it missed characters. So what in theory happens is that when the l-methylfolate arrives in the cell ready for transacting business, there is no MeCbl and so the mfolate is expelled. However, instead of fail at b12 fail points, it fails with mfolate fail points and hence has severe mfolate deficiency symptoms.

Pragmatically then, when one takes a little MeCbl (directly or via inactive converted to active) the folate doesn't get kicked out so the fail point isn't mfolate and the symptoms switch to the MeCbl deficiency symptoms and partial methylation block symptoms despite taking MeCbl.

I know you basically said it depends, and that there's no linear and simple answer, but do you have any opinion on whether there is a good general guideline when it comes to the ratio of mfolate and mb12?

I've heard the 5:2 (mfolate to mb12) ratio recommended before by someone.

There's quite a bit of talk these days about "cerebral folate deficiency" especially in the autism community. And for that people seem to me doing mega doses (like 50mg mfolate).

Do you think it's the sort of thing where someone could take only 1,000 or 2,000 mcg mb12 and not get trapping with a 50mg mfolate dosage?