• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Consultant?

Is there anyone out there that can offer consulting for methylation? I am confused about the dosing. I have seen the methylfolate goes up to 30mg.

I think I am asking because my brain just hasnt worked. I havent slept in months. And dizziness makes it difficult to concentrate.

Thank you,
David

Last edited:

CCC

It can be very confusing. I don't think anyone here started with a high methylfolate dose.

Where do you live? Someone here might know a doctor near you, or someone who will do a phone consultation.

You could also try one of the doctors on Ben Lynch's MTHFR site at:
https://seekinghealth.org/physician-directory/

If you can manage some reading, then you could try some of the things that helped us a lot:
Somebody has a good description of how to start with low-dose supplements and increase up by tiny amounts, but very slowly. I think it was ahmo or caledonia, but one of them will correct me, I'm sure.

(I've never tried this linking to members thing - I hope it works and that they don't mind)

CCC

It can be very confusing. I don't think anyone here started with a high methylfolate dose.

Where do you live? Someone here might know a doctor near you, or someone who will do a phone consultation.

You could also try one of the doctors on Ben Lynch's MTHFR site at:
https://seekinghealth.org/physician-directory/

If you can manage some reading, then you could try some of the things that helped us a lot:
Somebody has a good description of how to start with low-dose supplements and increase up by tiny amounts, but very slowly. I think it was ahmo or caledonia, but one of them will correct me, I'm sure.

(I've never tried this linking to members thing - I hope it works and that they don't mind)

caledonia

Nobody here can legally be a consultant or practitioner if they aren't licensed. We can only give educational information and suggest that you work with an actual practitioner.

I have a document called Start Low and Go Slow in my signature link. I also have links to two methylation practitioner lists, one from Ben Lynch and one from MTHFR support.

There are many more practitioners nowadays so why go it alone.

As far as a starting dose, my suggestion would be 50 mcg or even less - that's micro grams not milligrams. You may or may not tolerate even 50 mcg. Some people get severe mood swings - panic attacks and suicidal depression.

A normal dose for most people - something that you would aspire to very gradually titrate up to is 800 mcg. I would not suggest using this as a starting dose due to the possibility of mood swings.

Anything over that 800mcg is a mega dose. Only for special circumstances.

It's better to err on the side of caution as it's too easy to make ourselves much worse. You can always titrate up higher if you need to.

Hi All,
Thank you for your responses. I think I was asking for a consultant on Fredds protocol. I find it helpful to talk to someone as to reading at the moment. Didnt know if anyone was available.

From what I read we are trying to get to 15-20mg of MeB12 a day, 10mg of AdoB12 a week,
Folate 800mcg - 1000mcg split up over the day, Potassium, plus cofactors.

Does this sound about right? And its about going slow too is what I am hearing?

CCC

From what I read we are trying to get to ...

We didn't try to get to any quantity. We tried to get better.

If you are worried about your cognitive ability, you could ask a friend/volunteer/student/family member to help you. If you haven't yet, read that start low and go slow document of caledonia's.

Why are you aiming for methylation? Have you done Freddd's party trick and tucked a b12 into your gums and had a response?

In our case, we tried this low-slow approach, but the nausea from the adoB12 was so extreme we had to start with the a little mB12 instead, and got a brighter, more colourful view of the world from it a few hours later.We'd also been doing all the other supplementy things for a year or more. We take methylfolate only in response to need, and not much of that on most days.

Some people I've read here could cope with only a crumb of mb12 before getting an extreme reaction. A reaction can also come hours afterwards, by the way.

Everyone reacts so differently to this thing. It's not a toy.

We didn't try to get to any quantity. We tried to get better.

If you are worried about your cognitive ability, you could ask a friend/volunteer/student/family member to help you. If you haven't yet, read that start low and go slow document of caledonia's.

Why are you aiming for methylation? Have you done Freddd's party trick and tucked a b12 into your gums and had a response?

In our case, we tried this low-slow approach, but the nausea from the adoB12 was so extreme we had to start with the a little mB12 instead, and got a brighter, more colourful view of the world from it a few hours later.We'd also been doing all the other supplementy things for a year or more. We take methylfolate only in response to need, and not much of that on most days.

Some people I've read here could cope with only a crumb of mb12 before getting an extreme reaction. A reaction can also come hours afterwards, by the way.

Everyone reacts so differently to this thing. It's not a toy.

Hello CCC,

Thank you for the information. What I realized when I took B12 one day last year was a life changer. All depression, all thoughts, my sleep, pain, all went away. I didnt know enough about methylation or b12. But when I read Fredds story, its like the lights went on. I slept so deeply that I could not be woken up. I had to be shaked, it was the greatest thing in the world.

I have struggled with energy, auto immunity that goes and comes, joint pain, and insomnia. I started going over clues and that one day when I took b12 it was a clue.

I have had high b12 serum before this but did not supplement b12 so it was perplexing. I then went on and had MMA test that indicated i could have been deficient.

But to say the least just one pill of b12 wasnt enough. So I found this thread where he got up to 15mg of Meth B12 a day, and 10mg of Ad B12 a week. And MTH B and cofactors on a weekely basis so I was curious if this would help me.