Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation Co-Factors Depletion if not all taken?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by sregan, Apr 18, 2013.

1. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    From this article: http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm

Not sure if this list is complete. Seems that taking only certain supplements involved would lead to a deficiency in others.

2. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Heya sregan. I've found that one mineral deficiency can make all the difference in the world when experimenting with these vitamins. For me, manganese is very important. I think calcium might be important also, but that is hard to know for sure the way my situation is.

Magnesium and potassium are a couple I can not do without also. I would put co coQ10 on my list as well.

NAC has been helpful in the past as well. It is a precurser for glutathione and also helps with biofilms.

LIke freddd says, it is kind of like baking a cake.

3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    It's hard to know what you're deficient. Some people get a lot of this stuff tested. I'm not sure if it's more cost effective to get tested or just take a lot of different supplements to cover all your bases. If I was going to get tested I'd first have to pay to see another doctor since my doctor is covered by insurance so I've opted to just take a lot of supplements. If my doctor was willing to do tests, maybe I'd pay for them. I don't know. But to pay for another doctor and pay for tests on top of that isn't something I'm interested in right now. I'd like to hear from someone who's gotten tested and if it's helped (and also how much it costs). As far as the methyl donors listed in the article, I've seen much more than that listed as methyl donors. I'm not sure how accurate all the lists are, but some of the ones Yasko lists as methyl donors include caffeine and ADD medications Ritalin and Adderall. I think I remember Freddd mentioning something about taking supplements you're deficient in causing "start-up" symptoms, but whether or not this is actually increasing methylation I'm not sure.

4. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Lotus97

Agree it is hard to know. I haven't heard of any real good tests for determining what one needs to supplement.

I did have a test that showed I was a little high on zinc and selenium after supplementing for a couple years. It was a "doctors data" test that showed that, and it was pretty inexpensive. I think patients can order that directly but I'm not sure about that.

I tried the hair elements test, and urine toxic and elements test I believe.

http://www.doctorsdata.com/tests_assessments_info.asp

5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've heard of some people using muscle testing to determine which supplements they need. I haven't tried it myself. One person said there's instructional videos on YouTube. I might try it at some point, but I don't feel like dealing with it now.

See more popular forum discussions.