• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Co-Factors Depletion if not all taken?

sregan

From this article: http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm

"Is there any evidence to support this? Well, I am looking at the ARI data gathered from over 18,500 parent surveys. Let's say Pfeiffer is exactly correct and under-methylators are about 45% of the "autism" population. These are the values for the precursors for methylation:
- calcium 39% saw improvement
- DMG 43% saw improvement
- Folic acid 44% saw improvement
- B6/mag (both of these are precursors) 46% saw improvement
- Zinc 43% saw improvement"

Not sure if this list is complete. Seems that taking only certain supplements involved would lead to a deficiency in others.

Jarod

Heya sregan. I've found that one mineral deficiency can make all the difference in the world when experimenting with these vitamins. For me, manganese is very important. I think calcium might be important also, but that is hard to know for sure the way my situation is.

Magnesium and potassium are a couple I can not do without also. I would put co coQ10 on my list as well.

NAC has been helpful in the past as well. It is a precurser for glutathione and also helps with biofilms.

LIke freddd says, it is kind of like baking a cake.

Lotus97

It's hard to know what you're deficient. Some people get a lot of this stuff tested. I'm not sure if it's more cost effective to get tested or just take a lot of different supplements to cover all your bases. If I was going to get tested I'd first have to pay to see another doctor since my doctor is covered by insurance so I've opted to just take a lot of supplements. If my doctor was willing to do tests, maybe I'd pay for them. I don't know. But to pay for another doctor and pay for tests on top of that isn't something I'm interested in right now. I'd like to hear from someone who's gotten tested and if it's helped (and also how much it costs). As far as the methyl donors listed in the article, I've seen much more than that listed as methyl donors. I'm not sure how accurate all the lists are, but some of the ones Yasko lists as methyl donors include caffeine and ADD medications Ritalin and Adderall. I think I remember Freddd mentioning something about taking supplements you're deficient in causing "start-up" symptoms, but whether or not this is actually increasing methylation I'm not sure.

Jarod

Lotus97

Agree it is hard to know. I haven't heard of any real good tests for determining what one needs to supplement.

I did have a test that showed I was a little high on zinc and selenium after supplementing for a couple years. It was a "doctors data" test that showed that, and it was pretty inexpensive. I think patients can order that directly but I'm not sure about that.

I tried the hair elements test, and urine toxic and elements test I believe.

http://www.doctorsdata.com/tests_assessments_info.asp

Lotus97

I've heard of some people using muscle testing to determine which supplements they need. I haven't tried it myself. One person said there's instructional videos on YouTube. I might try it at some point, but I don't feel like dealing with it now.