• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation - can it drain zinc?

Kimsie

About 6 weeks after my son started taking methylfolate (which helped his symptoms considerably) he started having a symptom that we now know is caused by lower zinc - a loss of motivation. Every time he loses motivation I give him some extra zinc and the next day he is back to normal - it appears something happens to the regulation of dopamine during the sleeping hours and you have to have enough zinc. I have a feeling that the increased methylation was and is draining his zinc stores out of his body. 15 mg of zinc isn't enough now, but it was before. Another symptom that he gets is every time this happens he also gets signs of a leaky gut but with sufficient zinc the leaky gut goes away after a few days.

I know that methionine synthase, which is produced by MTR, uses zinc and I am trying to find out if there is any other way that having the methylation cycle running at top speed drains zinc.

Has anyone else had problems with zinc issues relating to methylation?

Last edited:

Freddd

About 6 weeks after my son started taking methylfolate (which helped his symptoms considerably) he started having a symptom that we now know are caused by lower zinc - a loss of motivation. Every time he loses motivation I give him some extra zinc and the next day he is back to normal - it appears something happens to the regulation of dopamine during the sleeping hours and you have to have enough zinc. I have a feeling that the increased methylation was and is draining his zinc stores out of his body. 15 mg of zinc isn't enough now, but it was before. Another symptom that he gets is every time this happens he also gets signs of a leaky gut but with sufficient zinc the leaky gut goes away after a few days.

I know that methionine synthase, which is produced by MTR, uses zinc and I am trying to find out if there is any other way that having the methylation cycle running at top speed drains zinc.

Has anyone else had problems with zinc issues relating to methylation?

Hi Kimsie,

Zinc is used in lots of places. When methylation actually starts there can be induced deficiencies. My need for zinc went from 15mg a day to 65 mg a day. It's on the list of nutrients that can be needed to even get methylation started, a critical cofactor.

Freddd

Hi Kimsie,

A couple of more things. Much of the consumption of zinc isn't about methylation. With AdoCbl in in's anti inflammatory role, much zinc is utilized. Methylation can often get ATP started as well because some of the cobalamin is converted to AdoCbl. Zinc is used in all sorts of healing of tissue. When methylation, ATP and healing starts, potassium and folate drop low. So does zinc for some people. It certainly did for me. Why do you automatically call it a "problem" instead of an effect. That drastically limits how you can interpret the results and may close the pathways to healing by such a semantic device.

So if a person has a "problem" they search to get rid of the problem. If they have an effect concerning zinc, and it turns out to be an induced deficiency when methylation starts, that is a flag to healing. Whether it is a problem to be avoided or an indicator of effectiveness to steer towards makes all the difference in the world. How one thinks about it may determine if they either find a factor of healing or miss it possibly forever.