1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation calmness ?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by vortex, Jun 21, 2014.

1. vortex

vortex

I am up to 5 mg methylfolate and feeling a noticeable calm effect.

I didn't think I had anxiety but now not so sure.

Is it from serotonin production ?
    SpecialK82 likes this.
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I don't know the mechanism, but as I increased B12/folate I found a calm I'd always been pursuing, and eventually an end to life-long insomnia.:sleep:
    SpecialK82 likes this.
  3. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Many people find that methyl-folate or methyl-B12 makes them more wired. Did you both had this problem too when starting the supplements or did you simply notice an improvement of the anxiety as you raised the dosage?

So far I have had some problem with extra anxiety from those supplements but after some time they settled. I've not yet found a truly calming effect, which would be welcome, but they help with mental clarity and focus.

When I feel "amped up" I usually take 250mg of GABA. That usually does the trick.

Thanks
    SpecialK82 likes this.
  4. vortex

vortex

Well it probably is serotonin then, because serotonin pathway converts into melatonin which puts you to sleep.
    How much methylfolate do you take.
  5. vortex

vortex

Well if higher amounts of methylfolate can recycle bh4 and bh4 generates neuotransmitters I guess it could be a crapshoot or random effect if you get either calming neuros like serotonin or excitatory neuros like adrenaline. I guess it could go either way.
    Perhaps you could steer production by adding serotonin precursors like tryptophan or 5 htp.
  6. shah78

shah78 Senior Member

st pete , florida
    Methylation took away a huge chunk of anxiety. I've never slept deeper(or atleast until I added pre/'probiotics). Of course it isn't surprising: I have almost the same snps as ahmo. The Yasko" clones" are on to something.
  7. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Methylation also made me much calmer and sleep better. I tried reducing the treatment (due to the expense) and the symptoms of anxiety returned. So I upped them again, and it went.
    Certainly, works well for me.
  8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @PeterPositive I can't recall any increased anxiety as I continued on gradually increasing my dosages. And at some point it became evident I was now going to sleep promptly, and able to return to sleep easily if I awoke. Life-time firsts.

Occasionally adding Mfolate gave me fairly immediate sense of restlessness, itchiness. When this happened I immediately took 1 mg B12, and the symptoms stopped just as quickly. I had this happen several times at bedtime, put the B12 in mouth and went to sleep. Amazing. This is the point at which Dr. Ben Lynch would advise niacin to slow things down, but I've been thrilled w/ the B12 solution. I worked up in 200mcg doses of folate, currently stabilized on 15mg Mfolate, 20mg MB12, 3.3mg AdB12.
    PeterPositive likes this.
  9. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Are you a MTHFR A1298C mutant? If so, I'd say "yes" to the serotonin connection.

See more popular forum discussions.