• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Rapid healing!

Aerose91

@Antares in NYC

I'm assuming you're in New York. I'm in Connecticut and have been going to Hudson Valley Functional Medecine in Valley Cottage, NY. The Dr, Dr Leventhal and her nutritionist, Jill Cruz are very well versed in methylation- particularly Jill. They sat down and went through my MTHFR SUPPORT results with me in depth and did blood tests according to my genetic code. By far the most knowledgeable about this out if any doctors I've met so far.
Just FYI though, DR Leventhal is rather opposed to antibiotics so if you do see her you may have to tiptoe around that one. She favors more building your cell integrity and immune support through the Patricia Kane protocol rather than killing bugs.

Martial

Hi Martial,
Congratulations on the improvement via methylation, and sorry to hear that you have experienced some setbacks recently.

I wanted to ask you if you are seeing any doctors in particular for methylation, or if there's a way to figure out the methylation traps. Like you, I've been dealing with broth ME/CFS and chronic Lyme. I started the simplified methylation protocol two weeks ago, on top of the multiple medications I'm taking to treat Lyme (omnicef, metronidazole, erythromycin, etc) CFS (Famvir), a gluten-free diet as suggested for Lyme, and many supplements suggested for support of the gut and the many vitamin/mineral deficiencies doctors caught.

If anything, I would say I've been feeling worse: all ME/CFS symptoms have worsened (crushing fatigue, sleep disruption, concentration and brain fog, etc). Any recommendations on what to do here? I feel really toxic and nauseous too, so I wonder if I need some sort of detox or chelation method. I know they claim you'll feel worse before you will start feeling better, but this is just horrible. Not sure if herxing has something to do with this, but I have to say I've been feeling borderline non-functional, almost brain-dead at times.

Anyway, hope you continue to improve and appreciate any advise or recommendations. Thanks.

I use the information in this link I have in my sig. I see no formal doctor for it, I did however get my LLMD to test me for MTHFR, and Pyoluria another condition which could negatively impact methylation. Really it is simple enough for me that I can do it on my own.

Just take some methyl b12, Adeno b12, methyl folate, and my other supplements. Potassium as needed through the day, de tox sulfites, and ammonia, and some other things I try and stay on top of. Also, avoiding folic acid fortified foods and keeping a strong hardy paleo type diet. Last but not least the Buhner protocol for the lyme which has been coming along nice, I just have been feeling a lot worse recently because my body is finally fighting it off. My test levels recently came back at a whopping low 150, 300 being the lowest norm for a 24 yr old. Apparently very common with certain chronic illnesses but explains my extra shitty feelings and tiredness of late.

Aerose91

Hey @Martial, hope you're coming out of the rut a little bit, buddy.

Fwiw when I got adrenal fatigue I was in the middle of competing in American Ninja Warrior just to contest to my athletics. My test was 890. Within 1 month it had dropped to 326 with the onset and soon after that my HGH bottomed out at 94, VERY low. With further inactivity my test dropped a little further, too.

I'm not saying that's what you have just saying my levels plummeted, too when I got sick and quick. The longer I've been sick the lower they have gotten. I would definitely pin some of your fatigue and malaise on hormones that low.

Antares in NYC

I use the information in this link I have in my sig. I see no formal doctor for it, I did however get my LLMD to test me for MTHFR, and Pyoluria another condition which could negatively impact methylation. Really it is simple enough for me that I can do it on my own.

Just take some methyl b12, Adeno b12, methyl folate, and my other supplements. Potassium as needed through the day, de tox sulfites, and ammonia, and some other things I try and stay on top of. Also, avoiding folic acid fortified foods and keeping a strong hardy paleo type diet. Last but not least the Buhner protocol for the lyme which has been coming along nice, I just have been feeling a lot worse recently because my body is finally fighting it off. My test levels recently came back at a whopping low 150, 300 being the lowest norm for a 24 yr old. Apparently very common with certain chronic illnesses but explains my extra shitty feelings and tiredness of late.
Thanks for the advice, Martial.
About three weeks ago I started the other methylation protocol, the one by Rich Van Konynenburg, and I have the feeling I'm doing something wrong. Either I'm taking the supplements the wrong way (or at the wrong times of the day), or one of the supplements is making me sicker. Since I started the methylation protocol, I have been feeling sicker, more tired and "out of it" than before. The brain fog surges to seriously disabling levels half way through the day.

I stopped the methylation process last Friday to see if I noticed a difference. Next day I felt better already. Yesterday I started taking the supplements again, one at a time, to see if I can identify which one is the one that's making me so exhausted. Not sure which one is it yet. It may be a specific combination. I will take notes and see if there's a pattern to identify the culprit.

Can't emphasize enough how nauseous, brain-fogged and tired the methylation made me. Need to figure out why.