• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and protein intake

Hi all
Is a high animal protein intake something to be avoided while on this protocol? I have been trying to understand more about methylation and while I understand that part of the problem is related to low B12/folate (either by reason of genetic inheritance or environmental factors or both), I also read that a high intake of animal protein might be another factor because it raises methionine levels in the body.

Is a reduced intake of meat or dairy advised or is it usually sufficient to supplement the missing B12/folates and other co-factors?

Thank you.

xchocoholic

Hi bishbosh,

I dont have an answer for you but I was also wondering what chemicals or chemical processes interfere with methylation. There are many inter-dependent biochemical reactions in our bodies that may or may not have a role in methylation.

I was wondering if the timing of what supplements we take might help us here ... If so the timing of what foods we eat or drink would be important too. We know about orange juice and Allegra, but what else ?

FWIW. I have to eat real meat every few hours or else I feel weak so avoiding it is out for me. No other protein gives me the energy that meat does.

Hope you get some answers soon ... tc ... x

Rockt

I've done much better with a high protein/high fat/low carb diet. That got me started being able to exercise a bit and methycobalamin has allowed me to increase it some more. Still a long way to go, though. Trying to figure out the puzzle.

Freddd

Hi all
Is a high animal protein intake something to be avoided while on this protocol? I have been trying to understand more about methylation and while I understand that part of the problem is related to low B12/folate (either by reason of genetic inheritance or environmental factors or both), I also read that a high intake of animal protein might be another factor because it raises methionine levels in the body.

Is a reduced intake of meat or dairy advised or is it usually sufficient to supplement the missing B12/folates and other co-factors?

Thank you.

Hi Bishbosh,

Let's see, meat supplies carnitine, which is helpful in energy generation. Meat supplies folate that can be used by those intolerant of vegetable source folates. Meat supplies mb12 and adb12. Meat avoidance is part of the nutrient specific anorexia (b12) that is characteristic of b12 deficiency. Lack of meat can kill people like me and causes b12 deficiency in essentially all vegetarians which always leads to methylation shutdown and up to several hundred other symptoms including 100% of FMS and CFS symptoms.

LaurieL

Hi Bishbosh,

I am not sure, but I think your confusion may be coming from multiple sources talking about protein intake. For those with CFS issues, and for others with chronic type diseases on other forums, they are finding their "need" for protein when becoming ill, rises. If I am starting to understand this correctly, those with CFS et al., have been associated with the loss of the ability to convert fats and carbs, of which is associated with the loss of methylation. It would seem that with a loss of methylation, many of us can and still do use protein as an energy source.

I believe your confusion may come from some of us discussing CBS mutations in which in that case, we have an unusually high amount of ammonia, and in order to get control on the ammonia, a subsequent decrease in our protein intake is beneficial or by addressing the ammonia detox directly or both. Since its hard to cut down on what our bodies may use as our main source for energy, you can see the difficulty.

Hope this helps.

Laurie

HI Laurie
Yes, that does help thank you. Another reason for my asking was that I tend to rely on animal proteins quite heavily because I find nothing else satisfies my hunger. However, I am aware that a high protein intake can be problematic, and also can apparently cause problems with methylation if its accompanied by low b12/folate. So I wasn't suggesting vegetarianism (which I think is an unhealthy choice for most people) just wondering if we needed to moderate protein intake.

So thank you - I appreciate the input :)